Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Vader182 wrote:
September 10th, 2021, 2:19 am
Could not be more excited for this.

I expect this to be a psychological thriller with horrifying consequences than any kind of biopic or Imitation Game-esque historical drama. Instead, he'll be mining the moral, personal and philosophical consequences of what it's like to develop a deadly weapon and the moral failure of unleashing it on entire cities and the nuclear proliferation that follows. Oppenheimer could be a classic Nolan morally ambiguous protagonist in that sense. It's also interesting it's basically he inverse of Dunkirk, a movie about humanist victory in the face of defeat. This is total moral failure in the face of victory.

Budget is reportedly 100 million plus, so I'm picturing the bomb tests as potential set pieces, with war scenes in the pacific and ultimately, possibly, the climax will be Hiroshima and/or Nagasaki. Not to steal Prince's thunder, but this could be his Chernobyl.

If he shoots this year, this could easily come out November 2022. Dunkirk only shot for 68 days. Can't wait for more news.

-Vader
Considering the line in Tenet about Oppenheimer, you are probably right. Nolan seemed, in that brief mention, to be critical of Oppenheimer. Nolan films are always subtextual techno-phobic, and what bigger example of a technology making the world a worse place than the manhattan project and the A-bomb.

Another WWII setting after Dunkirk doesn't excite me at all. But if he can make it a more personal and character driven story this time around, with a more thriller than period drama vibe, it could be interesting. I also wonder if time will be involved (seems fitting with the story revolving around a bomb) or maybe Nolan is finally ready to move on from this theme.

So far, unlike the person, the setting doesn't get me interested but Nolan will always make me watch it in the cinema and a great trailer could get my hype level up.

About the release date, I want it to be released as soon as possible. But Avatar 2 may frighten the distributors (gonna kill competition for technical awards). Also we'll get Babylon as a big auteur-driven film based on true event in 2022. It can't be December, so it's either October/November 2022 or Summer 2023.

This is not Nolan's sensibility at all, but one of my fave movie this century, is Myiazaki's romanced story of the morally broken creator of japanese planes during WW2. Hope Nolan can bring some of the beauty and poetry of it, somehow.

Demoph wrote:
September 10th, 2021, 3:31 am
About the release date, I want it to be released as soon as possible. But Avatar 2 may frighten the distributors (gonna kill competition for technical awards). Also we'll get Babylon as a big auteur-driven film based on true event in 2022. It can't be December, so it's either October/November 2022 or Summer 2023.

This is not Nolan's sensibility at all, but one of my fave movie this century, is Myiazaki's romanced story of the morally broken creator of japanese planes during WW2. Hope Nolan can bring some of the beauty and poetry of it, somehow.
The comparison point with The Wind Rises is 100%. Considering both Miyazaki and Nolan share a love of aviation, there is a weird overlap in sensibilities. Sometimes the aerial stuff in Dunkirk reminds me of Porco Rosso. I don't think we get this movie in 2022. Nolan is gonna risk the pandemic still being on, could you imagine? if he put out two movies during the pandemic, that would be insane, and frankly dumb. He should wait till 2023 or as long as he needs. It takes a long time to write and direct a movie, he should take as much time as he needs.

Exciting news.

If Dunkirk (in terms of a unique take on a war film) is anything to go by, I’m game for sure. Expecting the unexpected.

Chernobyl series could serve as inspiration for Nolan. Assuming he has seen it or is interested in it that is.

As usual, this was completely unexpected. Wow!

Unexpected but very pleased with the idea.

Refreshing to see its not another scifi film and maybe even a much smaller one?

I believe Cary Fukunaga was developing a similar project with Tom Stoppard. I wonder if that will still happen:
https://collider.com/tom-stoppard-shock ... omb-movie/

It's about time that Cillian got a juicy leading man role in a blockbuster. He also seems perfect for Oppenheimer. But I feel that the suits will want a name. Plus, Nolan may want to pivot to a more bankable star after going the 'up and comer' route with Tenet.

You'll get someone like Bradley Cooper or Daniel Craig as Oppenheimer.

LuciusNightmare wrote:
September 10th, 2021, 4:57 am
I believe Cary Fukunaga was developing a similar project with Tom Stoppard. I wonder if that will still happen:
https://collider.com/tom-stoppard-shock ... omb-movie/

It's about time that Cillian got a juicy leading man role in a blockbuster. He also seems perfect for Oppenheimer. But I feel that the suits will want a name. Plus, Nolan may want to pivot to a more bankable star after going the 'up and comer' route with Tenet.

You'll get someone like Bradley Cooper or Daniel Craig as Oppenheimer.
Nolan is a draw on his own. He will cast who he thinks is best for the role.