Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
I think when there's humour in a Nolan-film (I'm thinking of those moments in the Batman films, Inception, etc.) it's usually very good humour. Nolan has a good sense of humour, and based on the book I think there's quite a lot of space for comedy or comedic, humorous moments in this story, but I doubt it's going to be a straight-up comedy, although the idea is intriguing. But the book is definitely not a comedy biography, even if Oppenheimer was many times a very laid-back figure with a good sense of humour himself.

it's a thriller, it is what it is

"In its own way, almost a thriller" is how Charles Roven described it.

Art Direction by
Samantha Englender

Just did Licorice Pizza and worked with Ruth De Jong on Nope.

nisarshaikh wrote:
May 1st, 2022, 12:23 pm
THEORY: I THINK OPPENHEIMER WILL BE A DARK COMEDY LIKE DR. STRANGELOVE

Here’s why I think Nolan’s Oppenheimer will be an epic, dark comedy in the style of Kubrick’s Strangelove.

First of all, the cast of this movie is so absurdly large and star-studded it’s almost comical. Even legendary actor Gary Oldman stated that he will only be in one scene. If this is to be a full-on serious drama, wouldn’t having all these recognizable faces appear in these cameo sized roles be distracting? Nolan’s gotta know that right? But in the context of a dark comedy, then this makes so much more sense. An ensemble, dark comedy.

Also, Nolan does things different. Every time. Dunkirk was the opposite of a conventional war movie. Tenet was the opposite of a conventional espionage spy movie. So what makes you think Nolan is going to do a standard, ‘Life Of’ biopic? An epic, ensemble dark comedy about Oppenheimer and the creation of the atom bomb sounds more unique.

I could be completely wrong, but let me know what you think.

IS OPPENHEIMER GOING TO BE A DARK COMEDY LIKE DR. STRANGELOVE?
Dunkirk was the opposite of a war movie? In what way? It had an original narrative structure, but beside that it followed all the elements you'd expect from a war movie. The same is true for tenet and all his other movies. In his interviews Nolan specifically says a filmmaker has to respect the genre he's working on and it's laws. And only within it's a true originality can sprung from. I guess the reason for the so many familiar faces is to convince you of the prestige of the world of the film. It's about the political, scientific elite of the most important area in America's history. An elite of actors, to an elite of thinkers and officials.

Oppenheimer ain't gonna be a goddamn satire. Not in a million years and not for ever.

I don't think that's an official account. Syncopy doesn't have social media profiles as far as I know.

Willem wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 6:08 pm
I don't think that's an official account. Syncopy doesn't have social media profiles as far as I know.
You might be right, let's see... I might've been too eager to see something new :D

Silfan wrote:
May 10th, 2022, 9:12 am
Dunkirk was the opposite of a war movie? In what way? It had an original narrative structure, but beside that it followed all the elements you'd expect from a war movie. The same is true for tenet and all his other movies.
I disagree. It didn’t follow "all the elements" if you ask me. His other films have had certain genre characteristics perhaps but still strived towards newness, uniqueness and experimental to some extent. Dunkirk being among his projects which are far from working too much within the confines of a specific genre, in my opinion. I kind of like how Emma sees it “Chris could have made a completely conventional version of this film. But Chris did something truly revolutionary with it — almost an art movie, sort of in disguised as a studio movie. My, you know, sincerest hope is that studios will look to a film like this and feel that they can make something as experimental and boundary pushing as this film was ”. However, I think I read somewhere Nolan saying something along the lines that he thought Dunkirk was a studio film trying to be an art movie. It may have been in the Nolan variations, not sure. It's interesting to see the way they both think about it.

How will Oppenheimer be? Hard to say. I never expected Nolan to have a song like The Plan from Travis Scott in a movie of his yet here we are. I just believe in to expect the unexpected with him. Oppenheimer might end up having some inspiration from his Hughes script though. Maybe he will address this on some interview when we start seeing more publicity for the film. In any case, I think he is always trying to give something we haven’t seen before, and he has said so in interviews. Oppenheimer may continue this idea but in his particular way of doing it.
Last edited by Paradoxicalparabola on May 13th, 2022, 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.