Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.

StarWarsIsAwesome123 wrote:
December 9th, 2022, 12:07 pm
Trailer next Thursday? The trailer for Tenet dropped the Thursday right before Skywalker started screening.
Hoping the trailer is exciting. Haven't watched its teaser since it came out whereas I still watch Tenet's teaser occassionally.

Ace wrote:
December 9th, 2022, 12:01 pm

Scope I can understand since it'll be covering many years, Scale I'm surprised by since aside from some individual sequences it sounds like a very grounded story, albeit one that involves lots of people and important events.

Prediction : at least 40% of film is color.

Waitedalongtime wrote:
December 10th, 2022, 10:01 am
Ace wrote:

Scope I can understand since it'll be covering many years, Scale I'm surprised by since aside from some individual sequences it sounds like a very grounded story, albeit one that involves lots of people and important events.
I think scale is just about the number of locations.

EOLB wrote:
December 10th, 2022, 12:00 pm
Waitedalongtime wrote:
December 10th, 2022, 10:01 am
Ace wrote:

I think scale is just about the number of locations.
Probably, though not as globe hopping as Tenet I bet we will visit a lot of different places in America.

Ace wrote:

Just looking at this one image, the texture on his hat, and suit is so striking. I like that the images we gotten, as well as the footage, has leaned into Oppenheimer as this already iconic figure with the porkpie hat. It's not shocking considering making Batman movies is all about using visual signifiers, I think its cool how much these images lean into to Oppenheimer's "costume".

A Borges man wrote:
December 10th, 2022, 8:51 pm
Ace wrote:

Just looking at this one image, the texture on his hat, and suit is so striking. I like that the images we gotten, as well as the footage, has leaned into Oppenheimer as this already iconic figure with the porkpie hat. It's not shocking considering making Batman movies is all about using visual signifiers, I think its cool how much these images lean into to Oppenheimer's "costume".
I'm guessing the hat was already iconic amongst people who knew about him already, it's just being furthered and popularised by mainly spotlighting him wearing it in the trailers and posters/images so far.

Yeah, the biography makes it clear that his hat became iconic even amongst the general public - it was featured prominently in magazines writing about Oppenheimer around the time and after the "success" of the Manhattan project.

DHOPW42 wrote:
December 11th, 2022, 6:40 pm
Yeah, the biography makes it clear that his hat became iconic even amongst the general public - it was featured prominently in magazines writing about Oppenheimer around the time and after the "success" of the Manhattan project.
The only higher meaning I can prescribe to it is him being outside a lot in his job.

Edit: Only mentioning this because typically when a part of someone's image becomes recognisable and famous, it's because it reflects something about their overall image and public perception.