Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
At this point we won't know until the film is locked and rated.

I'd guess June but tickets could go on sale then too. So maybe end of May / June?
Just an educated guess.

Tarssauce wrote:
April 8th, 2023, 4:34 pm
At this point we won't know until the film is locked and rated.

I'd guess June but tickets could go on sale then too. So maybe end of May / June?
Just an educated guess.
Interviews can give an indication. It was quite clear from Nolan's interview about Dunkirk that the film would be less than 2 hours.

Demoph wrote:
April 9th, 2023, 6:46 am
Interviews can give an indication. It was quite clear from Nolan's interview about Dunkirk that the film would be less than 2 hours.
This is true. Insiders could also reveal the length sooner. This happened with Dunkirk.

We know Oppenheimer is going to be around 3 hours but the question was if it will conform to the maximum capacity of an IMAX film platter. Once it hits rating boards we'll get the exact runtime and not an approximation.

Damon interview kind of guarantees that it will be between 2h40 and 3h10, imo.

This coming Thursday is the press conference for the Cannes film festival lineup. I know many websites have been reporting that it's not going there but I have some hope.
And if it doesn't it would be Nolan's decision as I can't imagine Thierry Fremaux to not want to see Nolan and the cast marching the red carpet.
They have announced already the new Indiana Jones(Out of Competition) and Killers of the Flower Moon(They haven't announced yet in which section) will make the world premiere there.
Fingers crossed Oppenheimer will be announced on Thursday.

I won't count on it.

Nolan doesn’t release his movies early.
Nolan probably has some crazy technical achievements he wants to unleash to the world instead of a partial Cannes audience a few months early.

Also, showing it at Cannes would make the teaser countdown redundant.

BobCobb wrote:
April 10th, 2023, 2:14 pm
Nolan probably has some crazy technical achievements he wants to unleash to the world instead of a partial Cannes audience a few months early.

He does actually, he always does a press release a week before for the critics. And the reviews drop before the release date.

I don't know why showing technical achievements in advance at Cannes would hurt the film. I think quite the opposite, if the movie gets a buzz it will give it an extra hype and conversation for July(Similar to Cinema-Con in which Nolan will definitely show a scene or a trailer). Cannes has proven the past years that it is a great platform for oscar buzz.

I agree about the countdown.

Pit180 wrote:
April 10th, 2023, 4:06 pm
BobCobb wrote:
April 10th, 2023, 2:14 pm

He does actually, he always does a press release a week before for the critics. And the reviews drop before the release date.

I don't know why showing technical achievements in advance at Cannes would hurt the film. I think quite the opposite, if the movie gets a buzz it will give it an extra hype and conversation for July(Similar to Cinema-Con in which Nolan will definitely show a scene or a trailer). Cannes has proven the past years that it is a great platform for oscar buzz.

I agree about the countdown.
I agree with this.

I think part of it might be that the film just isn't ready to be shown next month.

Even though it would benefit from such a prestigious event, the film will be shown two months earlier than the release date. All of this secrecy around his films is done to give the audience the chance to discover the film when it comes out. Critics talking about it two months early can go against that.

One thing... the countdown actually counts down to the Trinity Test not the film release date.