Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Cillian Murphy finally gets his lead part in a Nolan movie!

SO excited for him.

Oh I am soooooo ready. I really want some star power though.

natalie wrote:
September 9th, 2021, 9:04 pm
It's all there at The Nolan Variations :o
"It is among those included in an anthology of speeches Oppenheimer gave after the war, threading the needle of his ambivalence about nuclear technology, which Robert Pattinson gave to Nolan as a gift at the film’s wrap party."
Hope this means R Patz gets an obligatory role

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
September 9th, 2021, 11:06 pm
Cillian Murphy finally gets his lead part in a Nolan movie!

SO excited for him.
This is not even close to confirmed but it’s possible and I would ecstatic.

Now this was unexpected... it's past 7AM here, so literally woke up to good news!

You can see he was already fascinated by this story when writing Tenet, so I'm very interested to see how he would tackle the actual, real-life story behind the nuclear bomb. And I'm also (not?) looking forward to the obvious Onion headlines: Christopher Nolan nukes entire city for his next film...

EDIT: Also, the Deadline article mentions that Netflix "might have a shot", but wouldn't that be a bit weird, regarding how Nolan fell out with WB over streaming in the first place? Obviously, if Netflix ever wins Nolan over it will be because of an exclusive - and, I imagine, long - theatrical window, but still.
Last edited by DHOPW42 on September 10th, 2021, 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Arron Elkhart have a role in this. I would like to see him in Nolan flick.

My dude is probably gonna wanna detonate a real atom bomb to make this film.

And here we go. God this is exciting. Interesting how Netflix is not one of the studios discussed...

Also Cillian and/or R Patts in lead role please.

I dont see CM as Oppenheimer, but it will be him or someone his age.

Could not be more excited for this.

I expect this to be a psychological thriller with horrifying consequences than any kind of biopic or Imitation Game-esque historical drama. Instead, he'll be mining the moral, personal and philosophical consequences of what it's like to develop a deadly weapon and the moral failure of unleashing it on entire cities and the nuclear proliferation that follows. Oppenheimer could be a classic Nolan morally ambiguous protagonist in that sense. It's also interesting it's basically he inverse of Dunkirk, a movie about humanist victory in the face of defeat. This is total moral failure in the face of victory.

Budget is reportedly 100 million plus, so I'm picturing the bomb tests as potential set pieces, with war scenes in the pacific and ultimately, possibly, the climax will be Hiroshima and/or Nagasaki. Not to steal Prince's thunder, but this could be his Chernobyl.

If he shoots this year, this could easily come out November 2022. Dunkirk only shot for 68 days. Can't wait for more news.

-Vader