Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Vader182 wrote:
August 3rd, 2023, 1:32 am
Not surprised to hear some are preferring 15/70mm to 70mm, because a lot of the visuals take on a more vertical dynamic than most of Nolan's other 1.43 experiments. Even seeing it in 1.90 liemax single laser this week, I hugely missed that verticality, especially the atomic sequences and, of course, the bomb, but also how he frames Cillian.

I'll miss watching it in 1.43 on UHD more than any other Nolan besides maybe Dunkirk.

-Vader
yeah hoyte and nolan seem to take a lot less care with framing the IMAX shots in 2.20 on this one - somewhat surprising since there’s so little of it compared to his more recent movies, but also in line with the shooting style of this one. get it in the can and let’s shoot a lot of it pretty verite and fast - highlighted by lots of soft focus and movie lights in reflections! it’s a style that i certainly appreciate, but after two viewings am still surprised to see in a movie of this scale - Nolan really is in full Nolan mode LOL

for those of you who want to see it on film but can’t manage 15/70mm tickets, standard 70 is still great! as long as you trust your theater, color and resolution is comparable to (if not better than) something like a dolby cinema - with that added “film” quality that is so hard to describe but so beautiful to experience

Standard 70mm was still very good even at 2.20. When I first saw it on 15/70mm IMAX, I was concerned that seeing it cropped would significantly hurt the experience, but luckily it did not the second go-around. If anything, I'm excited because I know the home media releases will probably have expanded aspect ratios bigger than what the standard 70mm offered.

tl;dr: it plays well in all formats, but I agree that the verticality of 15/70mm is staggering and changes many of the shots entirely.
Namely the final shot of the Earth

https://collider.com/christopher-nolan- ... -comments/
Speaking with Collider's Steve Weintraub, who asked what scenes were left out, Murphy revealed that there was absolutely nothing taken out of the movie, as Nolan has such a clear idea for his cinematic vision that he leaves nothing on the cutting room floor beyond concept arts or shots. Murphy, a veteran of six Nolan films to date, explained that the script was on the screen, with no time wasted or energy expended on extraneous details.

"There’s no deleted scenes in Chris Nolan movies," said Murphy. "That’s why there are no DVD extras on his movies because the script is the movie. He knows exactly what’s going to end up– he’s not fiddling around with it trying to change the story. That is the movie."

They filmed (Emily mentioned it in the Entertainment Weekly discussion panel), but deleted the slap from this scene, though.

Rumor has it that Nolan will come to China later this month to promote the movie.

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
August 5th, 2023, 12:46 pm
Rumor has it that Nolan will come to China later this month to promote the movie.
Smart move love to hear that

Why the hell is the OST cover so classy and they went ahead with that tacky monstrosity for main poster?

Lionheart wrote:
August 6th, 2023, 2:41 pm
Why the hell is the OST cover so classy and they went ahead with that tacky monstrosity for main poster?

My take? Marketing purposes for the public. You might not like it but it still works to varied extents imo.

Yeah it's absolutely insane the screenplay sold out.