Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
poplar wrote:
July 23rd, 2023, 5:35 am
What about an approach Nolan did for Oppenheimer hearings?
I'm a little worried, that's a bit one sided that it was wrong (which probably was, but from today perspective).
How was it, guys?
To be intentionally vague, I really liked those scenes and thought they were used to great effect (and in essentially the way I hoped they'd be used).

poplar wrote:
July 23rd, 2023, 5:35 am
What about an approach Nolan did for Oppenheimer hearings?
I'm a little worried, that's a bit one sided that it was wrong (which probably was, but from today perspective).
How was it, guys?
Mmmm I thought the entire movie isn’t one sided on anything, just questions about morality and the rest which I loved because that’s how I expected Nolan to approach it. Specially the ending which has been on my mind ever since. I think he was correct when he said this could be something in vein of Inception's ending.

This was very good. It could be among Nolan's best, I just don't know if it's his very best. I still think that title belongs to Interstellar, which is such a comprehensive theater experience that fires on every cinematic cylinder imaginable.

At it's best, Oppenheimer is a biopic for the ages and a thrilling and ultimately somber look at what feels like the climax of the modern era. At it's worst, it's a dialogue heavy lecture that devolves into a sort of courtroom drama. I really felt the length of it too.

Surely, much of the back and forth between characters could have been cut out in favor of "quieter" moments, right? It's a problem I feel has plagued Nolan since The Dark Knight. Every film since then, except for Dunkirk, feels like he and his editor spent ages cutting the ends off every shot to just get the vital information on the screen before moving on.

And then there are times that come off simply brilliantly. The scene of Oppenheimer addressing a crowd interspersed with his visions of destruction should be taught in editing classes.

The inaudibility of the dialogue struck me more than ever. I think it made some sense in Interstellar. Many times here it doesn't, and it happens at weird times too, like when characters are simply walking down a hallway.

The Trinity Test sequence is just chilling. The use of practical effects make this feel like it stands out, alongside Dead Reckoning Part 1. But I think the biggest accomplishment of the film is putting us inside Oppenheimer's own head. We feel the complications of the man himself and the morality he has to deal with.

Murphy is nothing short of fantastic. He just completely disappeared into the role and he had me engaged from the first few shots. Such a genuine and seemingly effortless performance. Really deserves accolades for it. It's just a shame this is coming out in the summer when it feels like most awards-bait films get loaded in the winter. Hopefully Murphy is still high on people's list then.

I keep seeing comments all over the internet that it's a "culmination of everything Nolan's done so far" and I guess you could say that at any given moment for whatever film Nolan is promoting, but I don't know if I connect to it at the moment. Perhaps it'll change on repeat viewings.

Cilogy wrote:
July 23rd, 2023, 4:08 pm
I keep seeing comments all over the internet that it's a "culmination of everything Nolan's done so far" and I guess you could say that at any given moment for whatever film Nolan is promoting, but I don't know if I connect to it at the moment. Perhaps it'll change on repeat viewings.
I actually understand that sentiment immensely. I really do feel like this is the combination of everything he's learned from like the last 10 years from editing, dialogue, visuals, etc. You can kinda trace it all back to different points.

I don't think anyone calling Tenet the culmination of his work would be correct, but this film definitely feels like Nolan enforcing and flexing everything he has to make the best thing he can. It's not my favorite of his currently, but it's excellent.

Seek this one in Dolby Cinema, guys!
I‘m an IMAX fanboy and I loved seeing it in IMAX. But if your only option is 1.90:1, then it wouldn’t be that much of a difference. Don’t miss on Dolby.

Incredible image quality and sound. It was funnily louder than IMAX but still crystal clear.

I'm also convinced something is wrong with the audio at the Dallas IMAX. I saw Interstellar in Las Vegas and it was crystal clear, then my second viewing in Dallas was noticeably worse.

My LieMAX viewing of Oppenheimer in Houston was great overall. Maybe I'll try San Antonio next, which is the only other true IMAX screen in Texas.

Bacon wrote:
July 23rd, 2023, 6:44 pm
Cilogy wrote:
July 23rd, 2023, 4:08 pm
I actually understand that sentiment immensely. I really do feel like this is the combination of everything he's learned from like the last 10 years from editing, dialogue, visuals, etc. You can kinda trace it all back to different points.

I don't think anyone calling Tenet the culmination of his work would be correct, but this film definitely feels like Nolan enforcing and flexing everything he has to make the best thing he can. It's not my favorite of his currently, but it's excellent.
Problem is I look at Nolan films more critically than others the first time. Definitely need to rewatch in actual 70mm IMAX with a more relaxed mind and I can probably see what y'all are talking about.

Cilogy wrote:
July 24th, 2023, 12:13 pm
I'm convinced something is wrong with the audio at the Dallas IMAX. I saw Interstellar in Las Vegas and it was crystal clear, then my second viewing in Dallas was noticeably worse.

My LieMAX viewing of Oppenheimer in Houston was great overall. Maybe I'll try San Antonio next, which is the only other true IMAX screen in Texas.
You should try Bob Bullock Museum IMAX in Austin. It used to be 70mm, but they changed to Dual Laser projection back in 2015 or 2016. They also upgraded the sound system at that time. It has a better sound system than pretty much any IMAX screen in Texas. It's the only IMAX screen in Texas with Dual Laser projection, which is even more rare than 70mm IMAX in America. There are only 10 Dual Laser IMAX screens in the country.

The Dual Laser projection allows the movie to be shown in the full 1.43:1 aspect ratio of 70mm IMAX. I saw Dunkirk at the Bob Bullock Museum IMAX and it was absolutely incredible. The sound was perfect and the image on the screen was jawdropping. Very competitive image quality with a proper 70mm IMAX show, arguably a better experience overall since it has none of the potential flaws of a film projector and a better sound system as well. The Bullock IMAX is a giant screen at 62 feet tall, 82 feet wide. That's bigger than the Dallas screen you mentioned.