Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Oku
Fuck a Bond, his 2026 film should be a female-led sci-fi film of some kind to continue the sci-fi/war/sci-fi/war pattern that he appears to be following:

sci-fi: Inception
war: TDKR (his words; he considers it a war film lol)
sci-fi: Interstellar
war: Dunkirk
sci-fi: TENET
war: Oppy

And then in 2029, a final WW2 film to round out the Nolan WW2 trilogy

James Bond peaked with On Her Majesty's Secret Service in 1969.

He would be better off directing a new Mission Impossible movie.

Which is to say it would be a waste of his fucking time and genius.

Since I'm interested in the question of historical accuracy with regards to this film, the following was really nice to read:
"[The calculation on whether the atmosphere would be ignited] came from Teller. One of the few things I've changed is it wasn't Einstein who Oppenheimer went to consult about it, it was Arthur Compton who directed an outpost of the Manhattan Project at the University of Chicago. But I shifted that to Einstein.

And Einstein is the personality people know in the audience. But the calculation came from Teller. And I think he took almost the perverse kind of pride, you know? Those are the nature of the discussions. Horrifying.
This has been the major inaccuracy from the trailers that I've been wondering about, so it's interesting to see exactly why that scene is there and that it's "supposed" to specifically be that 1942 meeting with Compton (and I find myself sort of agreeing with Nolan here). But the fact that he says this is one of the few changes from history he's made is very exciting. This has the potential to be one of the more accurate Hollywood historical films out there.

Casey Affleck goes so fucking hard in this.

physicshistoryguy wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 11:23 am

Likewise; I've enjoyed the odd Bond film here and there, but I'm not sure why it's a common refrain among folks to want Nolan to direct one. I'd much rather he focus on more conceptual and original projects (again, using a loose definition of "original" such that Oppenheimer counts as original).
Agreed ✌️✊ I would prefer he focuses on other stuff of his own or maybe do an adaptation of a novel, etc. Besides, I want to see another Cary Fukanaga Bond movie.

I would like to see an Edgar Wright Bond. I would like to see a Nolan bond but more towards the end of his career.

Nolan delivers Oppenheimer's most famous quote in the most brilliant and out of the box way.

I only have ONE question:
How is the Trinity bomb detonation portrayed and shown? NOBODY seems to be talking about that!

Nicolaslabra wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 7:03 pm
i fully expect Sam Mendes to come out of the blue with some thriller about the cuban missile crisis or the Stalisnav Petrov`s "stop armageddon moment" out of the blue and leech of that sweet sweet oscar buzz :lol:
Or an Einstein biopic...

Uruguayan wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 7:34 pm
Nicolaslabra wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 7:03 pm
i fully expect Sam Mendes to come out of the blue with some thriller about the cuban missile crisis or the Stalisnav Petrov`s "stop armageddon moment" out of the blue and leech of that sweet sweet oscar buzz :lol:
Or an Einstein biopic...
Unfortunately I don't see anyone making an Einstein biopic after that National Geographic miniseries with Geoffrey Rush, which is a shame because, although it was alright, I'd have really liked to see an interpretation of Einstein's story which was less, for lack of a better word, "ordinary" and less reliant on melodrama.