Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
DylanHoang wrote:
June 4th, 2023, 3:08 pm
physicshistoryguy wrote:
June 4th, 2023, 2:54 pm
Waitedalongtime wrote:
June 4th, 2023, 2:45 pm

Didn’t see any speculation about the R Rating, but the length yeah
Hmm, I could've sworn I saw people wondering months ago whether Hiroshima/Nagasaki would be in the film and if that would warrant an R rating, but I can't remember where and it very well could be a false memory.
Sure some people thought it’d be R, and some of those people thought it’d be R for the Hiroshima/Nagasaki stuff. I think everyone was shocked when it was rated R for the specific reasons that it was. I feel like you’d have to dig deep to even find the words nudity and sex in this forum lol
I remember there being an intimacy co-ordinator hired and people were like “Is Nolan going horny!” But that didn’t go with speculation about the rating especially since you can get away with sex/nudity in a PG-13

DylanHoang wrote:
physicshistoryguy wrote:
Waitedalongtime wrote:
June 4th, 2023, 2:45 pm

Didn’t see any speculation about the R Rating, but the length yeah
Hmm, I could've sworn I saw people wondering months ago whether Hiroshima/Nagasaki would be in the film and if that would warrant an R rating, but I can't remember where and it very well could be a false memory.
Sure some people thought it’d be R, and some of those people thought it’d be R for the Hiroshima/Nagasaki stuff. I think everyone was shocked when it was rated R for the specific reasons that it was. I feel like you’d have to dig deep to even find the words nudity and sex in this forum lol
I remember there being an intimacy co-ordinator hired and people were like “Is Nolan going horny!” But that didn’t go with speculation about the rating especially since you can get away with sex/nudity in a PG-13

Waitedalongtime wrote:
June 4th, 2023, 4:14 pm
DylanHoang wrote:
physicshistoryguy wrote:

Here she is: Kelley Flynn, Intimacy Coordinator https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5878446/?r ... c_fc_cr342

Been thinking about this R rating: I have a theory. This movie, told correctly, is gonna have a lot of smoking. The trailers have confirmed as much. The last 15 years or so have seen smoking being 1. less present in movies, and 2. If smoking is shown prominently it is in an adult/ R movies. So...I'm wondering if Nolan knew this, and knew that it was going to unavoidable when making a movie about Oppenheimer, not only is he a chain smoker, but it was part of his iconic look - so if the movie was going to R rated anyways, he devised from the get go to go more adult.

A Borges man wrote:
June 5th, 2023, 12:33 am
Been thinking about this R rating: I have a theory. This movie, told correctly, is gonna have a lot of smoking. The trailers have confirmed as much. The last 15 years or so have seen smoking being 1. less present in movies, and 2. If smoking is shown prominently it is in an adult/ R movies. So...I'm wondering if Nolan knew this, and knew that it was going to unavoidable when making a movie about Oppenheimer, not only is he a chain smoker, but it was part of his iconic look - so if the movie was going to R rated anyways, he devised from the get go to go more adult.
That'll be unique but probably true. I think Joker is the most mainstream film in recent memory where the main character Chain Smoked and that was obviously an R though also for other reasons.

Also it's kind of important to show him as a chain smoker because he died of throat cancer at only 62 years of age.

Ace

Ace wrote:
June 5th, 2023, 12:05 pm
100% agree with Nolan on how cinema has failed to represent genius; often it's just cheesy bursts of inspiration ("wait, what did you say?!") or characters hallucinating equations or writing with chalk on windows or whatnot. This is an opportunity for Nolan to portray science as it actually is done: excruciatingly hard work, trial and error, failures and dead ends.

And his comments on not judging Oppenheimer are very interesting. I've noted elsewhere that it can be hard to make Oppenheimer likeable, so putting the audience in his shoes and experiencing his actions alongside him strikes me as the best approach if he pulls it off well.

El Especial wrote:
June 6th, 2023, 6:23 pm
Feels jarring seeing Cillian swear even though he's done several seasons of Peaky Blinkers. I just see him as a calm and mellow guy even in his more intense film roles, only just remembered Red Eye and how he got the film's one f bomb. Even as Scarecrow he's pretty soft spoken for the most part!