Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Perfect reason to never see Hiroshima or Nagasaki in the film.

My best bet is that shot of Fat Man being loaded on the truck is part of the typical Nolan ending montage of the movie.

Trying to decide which theater I’m going to see this in. Does anyone know if the IMAX theater at the Michigan Science Center will show this? I saw that they’re outfitted for 15perf 70mm projection, but there are no studio films listed on their site right now. I usually go to the IMAX theater at the Indiana State Museum, but it’s three hours away from me and I’d like to find something closer. I was also looking at Celebration Cinema in Grand Rapids if anyone can give a recommendation on that.
Last edited by zwilliams on May 9th, 2023, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobCobb wrote:
May 9th, 2023, 2:10 pm
My best bet is that shot of Fat Man being loaded on the truck is part of the typical Nolan ending montage of the movie.
Bare in mind we do see 2 trucks in the trailer, safe to say its both Fat Man and Little Boy, and we might see an H bomb being built ? Teller telling Oppenheimer "until someone builds a bigger bomb is an obvious nod to him and Ulam building the current bomb system that all nuclear powers use.

CHRISTOPHER NOLAN I remember I was up in San Francisco writing Batman Begins and there was something in the San Francisco Chronicle about 28 Days Later. I saw a picture of you with your shaved head and your crazy eyes — no offense.
https://ew.com/movies/oppenheimer-chris ... versation/
:lol:

Um…you guys…no one is talking about how Chris wrote this screenplay IN FIRST PERSON:

“NOLAN: I flew over to Dublin to hand you the script, you read it in my hotel room, I went off to look at the Francis Bacon installation in the Hugh Lane [Gallery], and then came back. I'm actually curious if the fact that the script was written in the first person will have added to the feeling of responsibility that you were going to have taking it on.”
https://ew.com/movies/oppenheimer-chris ... versation/

What makes this absolutely bonkers is that it sets up the possibility that an actor playing a role is playing that role based in the subjectivity of Oppenheimer’s perspective. So Matt Damon isn’t necessarily playing just Leslie Groves - he’s playing Oppenheimer’s perspective of Groves. This is really interesting… and may be an indicator of how much cuckoo we are gonna get from Oppenheimer’s portrayal… it’s kind of Memento-esque ?

The script being written in the first person is super interesting

Willem wrote:
May 10th, 2023, 4:57 am
The script being written in the first person is super interesting
agreed plus cillian says it's "the best script he's ever read"

nolan's making a statement by showing us not WHAT happened, but what oppenheimer perceived to be happening to lead to his choices. it's going to speak a lot to how humans justify choices with their perception. it's very much a "because you don't know you're dreaming!" feel to me and it's so exciting because anything's possible.

Forum Pro
Joshua Strong wrote:
May 8th, 2023, 7:48 pm
neb4ever wrote:
May 8th, 2023, 7:22 pm
If Sag strikes in June none of the actors can do promotion for this movie, and no press for the premiere
This is very likely but there’s also talk of the DGA going on strike, which would mean that Nolan couldn’t promote the movie either.
I expect the DGA to announce a strike within the next two weeks. They started negotiating their deal today. It makes sense to go to strike, they could strike with the writers and everyone makes more money.

Forum Pro
Joshua Strong wrote:
May 10th, 2023, 12:15 pm
Joshua Strong wrote:
May 8th, 2023, 7:48 pm
neb4ever wrote:
May 8th, 2023, 7:22 pm
If Sag strikes in June none of the actors can do promotion for this movie, and no press for the premiere
This is very likely but there’s also talk of the DGA going on strike, which would mean that Nolan couldn’t promote the movie either.
I expect the DGA to announce a strike within the next two weeks. They started negotiating their deal today. It makes sense to go to strike, they could strike with the writers and everyone makes more money.
The DGA negotiations are slated to go to the end of the week from what I hear