Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
February 3rd, 2023, 7:13 am
Collins wrote:
February 3rd, 2023, 4:25 am
According to the french magazine "Le Film français" (very reliable), Oppenheimer is expected to premiere at the Cannes Film Festival in May.
is it very reliable?
Collins literally wrote "very reliable." Now the question is: is Collins very reliable? ;) (Although, to be honest, it would feel like a very weird move if it was true.)

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
Collins wrote:
According to the french magazine "Le Film français" (very reliable), Oppenheimer is expected to premiere at the Cannes Film Festival in May.
is it very reliable?
Yes, it's a magazine for French cinema and audiovisual professionals. They are followed on Twitter by Deadline and Variety. Their magazine is not free so I couldn't read the content but a French account relayed on Twitter the content of one of their new article according to which Oppenheimer, the next Indiana Jones and the new Sofia Coppola are expected at Cannes.

DHOPW42 wrote:
February 3rd, 2023, 7:57 am
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
Collins wrote:
is it very reliable?
Collins literally wrote "very reliable." Now the question is: is Collins very reliable? ;) (Although, to be honest, it would feel like a very weird move if it was true.)
Yes I know lol. I'm just looking for some more explanation on how it is very reliable, which Collins gave in his reply.

I'm sure I'll be anxious before the reviews are out, but I'd love if it was true.

I think it makes more sense with this film than his previous output because there's very little to spoil in this case.

Take this article with a grain of salt, it is written in the conditional tense so nothing is signed yet. But given the successes of Top Gun and Elvis last year at Cannes, that Nolan really enjoys this festival and that Oppenheimer is not really a story that can be spoiled, it would make sense for the film to be there.

It would definitely make more sense than his previous films, since there is less to spoil, although I doubt Nolan would want to be in competition or to do the usual press conference. Also, considering how big budget movies outside of IP have flopped since Covid, Oppenheimer will need a good word of mouth, so better to start it early, if you have confidence in the film.
Other good reasons:
-great cast that would get its picture on the red carpet in tons of article.
-filming ended a long ago, so they could finish post-production in early May. (for Dunkirk, post-prod ended after the festival)

That said, I would definitely take this news with a grain of salt. There is always a lot of uncertainty concerning the movies invited to Cannes. The decision is usually taken in the very last days before the announcement. I think Tarantino decided to show OUATIH in Cannes the day before the annoucncement because he was afraid not to have a solid version to show. At best Fremaux and Nolan have been in contact.

Demoph wrote:
February 3rd, 2023, 1:48 pm
It would definitely make more sense than his previous films, since there is less to spoil, although I doubt Nolan would want to be in competition or to do the usual press conference. Also, considering how big budget movies outside of IP have flopped since Covid, Oppenheimer will need a good word of mouth, so better to start it early, if you have confidence in the film.
Other good reasons:
-great cast that would get its picture on the red carpet in tons of article.
-filming ended a long ago, so they could finish post-production in early May. (for Dunkirk, post-prod ended after the festival)

That said, I would definitely take this news with a grain of salt. There is always a lot of uncertainty concerning the movies invited to Cannes. The decision is usually taken in the very last days before the announcement. I think Tarantino decided to show OUATIH in Cannes the day before the annoucncement because he was afraid not to have a solid version to show. At best Fremaux and Nolan have been in contact.
Great analysis! I would be so happy to see Nolan bring Oppenheimer to Cannes. And yes, if so it's going to be out of competition for sure.

Collins wrote:
Oh man, a whole 2 months prior to it's theatre release