Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Surely Chris has to obey the all mighty countdown and just release it then, its literally the will of the universe.

Nicolaslabra wrote:
September 28th, 2022, 3:34 am
Surely Chris has to obey the all mighty countdown and just release it then, its literally the will of the universe.
He respects time so won't be surprised.

Ace
New interview with Kai Bird.

He does repeat what he said from the interview Insomniac posted before that the film is heavily based on the book and much of the dialogue comes from the book.(@47:30)

Oku
Yeah, that makes sense, considering that he's explicitly adapting this book in particular, instead of making an 'original' historical film à la Dunkirk.

And again, I have absolutely no idea what to make of that.

I mean obviously, having a Pulitzer winner as your source material bodes well for the movie turning out pretty good.

But I don't want "pretty good". I don't want a step-by-step re-enactment of a Wikipedia article. I don't want a dry, respectable prestige pic.

I want radical. I want innovative. I want art film disguised as blockbuster.

And ATM, I don't see how explicitly basing your screenplay off of an exhaustive, all-encompassing biography that doesn't really break any literary molds, is going to give us that.

This is really concerning.

Oku wrote:
October 12th, 2022, 2:33 pm
Yeah, that makes sense, considering that he's explicitly adapting this book in particular, instead of making an 'original' historical film à la Dunkirk.

And again, I have absolutely no idea what to make of that.

I mean obviously, having a Pulitzer winner as your source material bodes well for the movie turning out pretty good.

But I don't want "pretty good". I don't want a step-by-step re-enactment of a Wikipedia article. I don't want a dry, respectable prestige pic.

I want radical. I want innovative. I want art film disguised as blockbuster.

And ATM, I don't see how explicitly basing your screenplay off of an exhaustive, all-encompassing biography that doesn't really break any literary molds, is going to give us that.
Just because it'll be faithful to the book doesn't mean it'll just be a standard series of events. Even within that as long as CN finds the heart of the story and tells it in a compelling manner it'll feel like an actual story and not just "this happened and this happened"

blackColumn wrote:
October 12th, 2022, 7:35 pm
Why?

DHOPW42 wrote:
October 13th, 2022, 3:01 pm
blackColumn wrote:
Why?
He is always concerned, shows that he hasn't been consulting his 12 rules for being an idiot book. If he didn't read so much Peterson he wouldn't be so concerned with everything.

DHOPW42 wrote:
October 13th, 2022, 3:01 pm
blackColumn wrote:
Why?
A GOAT level fan just doubted Nolan's filming strategy / screenwriting based on available evidence and sound reasoning. No one wants a wikipedia article read to them in an imax theatre. Maybe Nolan was made self aware that he is not a particulary gifted writer but the approach he seems to have taken is not a substitute any of us would've imagined (or fancied).

From an interview Cillian gave earlier this year:

As we walk round the lighthouse and make our way back down the pier, he says what he can about Oppenheimer, which, like all Nolan productions, means not a great deal. “The difference with this one is the story is there, everybody knows what happened. But Chris is telling it in a different way, as with Chris you would expect. That’s all I can say.” Is it focused on a particular period of his life? The Manhattan Project, perchance? “I’m not going to say. They’d kill me — they’re so strict!”
https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a388 ... interview/