Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
radewart wrote:
August 14th, 2022, 3:26 pm
Anybody seen this standee in their local theater, yet? Seems a little earlier for such a big display, basically a whole year out from release..Still cool, though!

I haven't been to the theater since Nope I might just sneak my ass into my AMC to see if they have this lol

Janky Sam wrote:
August 13th, 2022, 3:43 am

He’s already made several of his long-gestating original passion projects (Inception, Dunkirk, Tenet) and has gotten those off his chest, so it does beg the question of how deep does his drawer of original ideas go?
He started imagining the script for Dunkirk after he read a book given to him by Emma. So, to me it's kind of the same with Oppenheimer. The character must have always fascinated him, and reading the book eventually pushed him to make a film about him.

Demoph wrote:
August 23rd, 2022, 5:48 am
Janky Sam wrote:

He’s already made several of his long-gestating original passion projects (Inception, Dunkirk, Tenet) and has gotten those off his chest, so it does beg the question of how deep does his drawer of original ideas go?
He started imagining the script for Dunkirk after he read a book given to him by Emma. So, to me it's kind of the same with Oppenheimer. The character must have always fascinated him, and reading the book eventually pushed him to make a film about him.
Proof of that is the Tenet dialogue that brings him up. It's slim proof but it shows us he was already in mind before this movie.

KEM
Honestly I consider Oppenheimer to be a spiritual prequel to TENET for that reason alone

KEM wrote:
August 23rd, 2022, 12:05 pm
Honestly I consider Oppenheimer to be a spiritual prequel to TENET for that reason alone
I know, both of them are about dangerous devices that have the ability to cause destruction, the real one being a precursor to the sci-fi one. You could also consider Interstellar a spiritual sequel to Tenet, I do think that those films work well being set in the same world or being watched back to back. Not just because of the similarities but also because it gives hope that the world of Tenet will actually survive the potentially bad future that's coming. There's dialogue at the end of the film that hints about being able to avert that bad future but it's not wrapped up and left open and I wondered why they specified that it was a climate crisis since that just makes the ending feel like less of a victory. It plays into the themes of the film and the contrasting differences between Neil, who accepts his fate and the events that take place vs the Protagonist, who creates the fate layed out for him and others and averts what should be the case in a few areas (everything with Kat), but still it's one of those things in movies that raises a bunch of questions and would have been stronger if it wasn't mentioned or got changed.

Waitedalongtime wrote:
August 23rd, 2022, 1:44 pm
KEM wrote:
August 23rd, 2022, 12:05 pm
I know, both of them are about dangerous devices that have the ability to cause destruction, the real one being a precursor to the sci-fi one. You could also consider Interstellar a spiritual sequel to Tenet, I do think that those films work well being set in the same world or being watched back to back. Not just because of the similarities but also because it gives hope that the world of Tenet will actually survive the potentially bad future that's coming. There's dialogue at the end of the film that hints about being able to avert that bad future but it's not wrapped up and left open and I wondered why they specified that it was a climate crisis since that just makes the ending feel like less of a victory. It plays into the themes of the film and the contrasting differences between Neil, who accepts his fate and the events that take place vs the Protagonist, who creates the fate layed out for him and others and averts what should be the case in a few areas (everything with Kat), but still it's one of those things in movies that raises a bunch of questions and would have been stronger if it wasn't mentioned or got changed.
Probably more appropriate for the Tenet thread but still I do like the connection. It also popped into my head that if Nolan were a more gimmicky or a KS/QT type then Oppenheimer probably would have something to tie it into Dunkirk. What I mean is Branagh and D'Arcy playing the same roles, or a mention of Dunkirk, or something like that. He will resist the urge but I don't know if I could.

Demoph wrote:
Janky Sam wrote:

He started imagining the script for Dunkirk after he read a book given to him by Emma.
I thought the idea for the movie came from when he and Emma sailed across the English Channel, following the path of the small boats in the evacuation. Though I'm not sure if that was before or after she gave him the book.

Waitedalongtime wrote:
August 23rd, 2022, 7:47 am
Demoph wrote:
Janky Sam wrote:

Proof of that is the Tenet dialogue that brings him up. It's slim proof but it shows us he was already in mind before this movie.
Yeah, but I'm wondering if Roven might have given him the Oppenheimer book to read while he was still writing Tenet's script, so it could have influenced the dialogue in Tenet. Basically, I'm just curious what the original source of inspiration was...

radewart wrote:
Anybody seen this standee in their local theater, yet? Seems a little earlier for such a big display, basically a whole year out from release..Still cool, though!

EOLB wrote:
September 7th, 2022, 9:58 pm
radewart wrote:

Now that is dope!