Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
People give No Way Home shit for having a ton of CGI but that’s what people expect of blockbuster filmmaking nowadays. The landscape has changed a lot the last decade. What Nolan did with Tenet doesnt really impress this current generation of movie goers (12-20 year olds, which make up the majority of pop and geek culture).

His insistence on avoiding CGI at all costs are hurting him. If Tenet came out before 2005, everybody would’ve lost their minds but technology has advanced a lot and combining CGI and practical is the way to go. That’s why Dune is so praised. Denis Villeneuve isn’t as religious about avoiding CGI.

I mean, Tenet literally won an Academy Award for Best Visual Effects, but okay...

I don't get why No Way Home was brought up and I can't comment on it since I haven't seen it, but even "simple" shots like the one above feel more expensive to me than most of what you see in a blockbuster nowadays. Nothing beats real locations and practical effects, and Nolan has never been afraid to merge the latter with CGI to enhance them.

Honestly, It's great that Nolan refuses to make dumbed down entertainment like 95% of his peers. He could go the blockbuster route but didn't. Denis Villeneuve seems to be inspired by his philosophy and won't create money grab franchises.

Innovator wrote:
December 18th, 2021, 7:20 am

That's a gorgeous shot imo. Feels classic but new at the same time. Love Nolan's adherence to celluloid and with Hoytema as cinematographer. Oppenheimer may have many beautiful scenes, specially considering the story. Let's hope it does!

Oku
That is a gorgeous shot. Huh, I guess I never thought about it until now because it goes by so quick and it's only used as a backdrop for Kat to spew non-relevant exposition about how many people the yacht can fit lmao

Anyway, I wonder if Mr. Nolan should have gone with Sony instead for distribution, in light of Spider-Man: No Way Home's utter dominance at the box office? I guess/hope that it's not that big of a deal either way, but you never know.

Oku wrote:
December 23rd, 2021, 12:30 am
That is a gorgeous shot. Huh, I guess I never thought about it until now because it goes by so quick and it's only used as a backdrop for Kat to spew non-relevant exposition about how many people the yacht can fit lmao

Anyway, I wonder if Mr. Nolan should have gone with Sony instead for distribution, in light of Spider-Man: No Way Home's utter dominance at the box office? I guess/hope that it's not that big of a deal either way, but you never know.
I have a hard time believing Disney wasn't holding them by the ear the whole time, haha. Current Sony is worse than mid 2000s Fox imo.

Sony has full creative control and they get all of box office earnings from No Way Home.

blackColumn wrote:
December 23rd, 2021, 5:09 am

Sony has full creative control and they get all of box office earnings from No Way Home.
No they don't. The film is produced by Marvel Studio Company which belongs to Disney. If the films weren't part of the MCU, they would keep the earnings, but part of the deal for Spidey to be in the MCU, is that part of the earnings go to Disney.

Also, obviously they don't have full creative control of a MCU film. Obviously Feige gets to decide if he approves the pitch or not.

Demoph wrote:
December 23rd, 2021, 5:21 am

No they don't. The film is produced by Marvel Studio Company which belongs to Disney. If the films weren't part of the MCU, they would keep the earnings, but part of the deal for Spidey to be in the MCU, is that part of the earnings go to Disney.

Also, obviously they don't have full creative control of a MCU film. Obviously Feige gets to decide if he approves the pitch or not.
So I referred to the WSJ article USA Today linked to.

Sony pays for the production. The process is managed by Marvel. Sony keeps all the profits for the movie while Disney has the merchandise rights.
In a 2011 renegotiation designed to resolve years of behind-the-scenes legal disputes and provide Sony with much-needed cash, the Japanese company gave up its share of merchandise rights and Marvel, now owned by Disney, agreed to forego its 5% of film revenue, as well as making a one-time payment of $175 million and up to $35 million for each future film.
End of story.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/spider-man ... 1498815005

Update : https://variety.com/2019/film/news/sony ... 203351489/

Marvel and Disney will receive roughly 25% of the profits, according to insiders. Disney will retain its merchandising rights and will put up roughly a quarter of the financing. (Deal made on September 26, 2019).

I don't know whether it's been mentioned in this topic, but I saw that Charles Roven has been added as a producer for Oppenheimer. I don't remember if he was there from the beginning but he is now listed on imdb.
This will be their first collaboration since the The Dark Knight Rises. Currently Chris, Emma and Charles are the producers of the film.