Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
KEM wrote:
October 4th, 2021, 9:27 am
Nothing went wrong with TENET, it’s absolutely incredible in every way
Agree.

Retskrad wrote:
October 4th, 2021, 9:08 am
Tenet had a 69/100 Metacriric score. Dunkirk had 94/100. There’s no way around it. Tenet was a critic and box office failure. When Interstellar got a lukewarm reception (74/100), he went back to the drawing board and made Dunkirk which is his best movie according to critics.

I am a fan of Nolan. I hope he evaluates what went wrong with Tenet and learn from his mistakes. It makes no sense for fans to be Stans and not push him to do better. We get better movies that way.
You are neither a fan of Nolan nor DV. You are a fan of the BO and critics' consensus. I loved Dunkirk and it was a BO and critical success. Still, I would watch Interstellar over Dunkirk any day. BO and critics' score is not everything. Since you are so obsessed with BO scripts. This is for you:

BO vs. Budget (Nolan)
Tenet: 363/205 mil
Dunkirk: 527/100 mil
Interstellar: 701/165 mil
Dark Knight Trilogy: 2459/585 mil
Inception: 836/160 mil
The Prestige: 109/40 mil
Total: 4995 mil or 5 billion BO vs. 1255 mil or 1.2 billion Budget
Ratio: 3.98

BO vs. Budget (Denis Villeneuve)
Blade Runner 2049: 259/150
Arrival: 203/47
Sicario: 85/30
Prisoners: 122/46
Enemy: 3/1
Incendies: 7/7
Total: 679 mil BO vs. 281 mil Budget
Ratio: 2.4

Here’s a fun fact for you. To even match Nolan’s BO/Budget ratio, Dune’s BO needs to be around 1096 mil or 1.1 billion. Even if it happens, it would not be fair. Having the same ratio with 1.7 billion BO does not hold up against Nolan’s 5 billion BO. Now, take these BO facts and shove them up your ass. One can argue whether one of them is better than the other as a filmmaker, which is still subjective. IMO, I don’t like to compare them because they are both immensely talented but very different filmmakers. Only a self-glorified dumbass like you can compare these two directors in terms of BO.

Well, just a little information but I can see that (whithout surprise) Nathan Crowley has been listed as the production designer of the project.(ImdbPro)

Hoyte Van Hoytema is one of the best cinematographers working right now but I’d love to see Nolan hook up with Roger Deakins. It would be fascinating to see how that would turn out. Now that I think about it, Nolan is religious about shooting on Film and Deakins has gone full Digital which means we’ll never see these two collab. Deakins is at the of his game right now. Sicario, Prisoners, Blade Runner 2049, 1917. Damn. What a shame.

Forum Pro
Nolan62 wrote:
October 4th, 2021, 10:15 am
Well, just a little information but I can see that (whithout surprise) Nathan Crowley has been listed as the production designer of the project.(ImdbPro)
I was really hoping he would be booked so we get another collar with Guy Hendrix Dyas.

Nolan62 wrote:
October 4th, 2021, 10:15 am
He will make Wonka first.
Last edited by natalie on October 4th, 2021, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Retskrad wrote:
October 4th, 2021, 11:47 am
Hoyte Van Hoytema is one of the best cinematographers working right now but I’d love to see Nolan hook up with Roger Deakins. It would be fascinating to see how that would turn out. Now that I think about it, Nolan is religious about shooting on Film and Deakins has gone full Digital which means we’ll never see these two collab. Deakins is at the of his game right now. Sicario, Prisoners, Blade Runner 2049, 1917. Damn. What a shame.
1917 made me his fan. Now he is only cinematographer I follow. I have watched Blade Runner 2049 and Prisoners. They were really something too. For someone like Deakins you gotta give him space and if wants digital then so be it.

Nolan's movies, in terms of color, do not look as good. Maybe Hoytema is more concerned about motion.

Hoytema and him still have a lot to experiment, I really hope they'll keep their collaboration. But if it turns out(it can be possible) to be something else, it would be great too.

Forum Pro
Joshua Strong wrote:
September 10th, 2021, 1:05 pm
Vader182 wrote:
September 10th, 2021, 2:19 am

If he shoots this year, this could easily come out November 2022. Dunkirk only shot for 68 days. Can't wait for more news.

-Vader
Knowing how Nolan works, he's probably in preproduction already but I'd be stunned if it shoots soon due to the looming IATSE strike that could be happening anytime now. Morale is that bad on the sets, I've been working on.
The Strike was authorized, it could be a while before this gets in front of cameras.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/hollywood- ... 234843898/

The general consensus is that Tenet sucked, and Nolan's reputation is not the best right now (let's just say that), people seem tired with his sci-fi concepts. Changing the subject to Denis when someone criticizes him is not going to change the facts, especially making dumb comparisons like small movies vs big-budget blockbusters.

And yes, everyone cares about acclaim, studio/producers care about critics, actors care about critics, directors care about critics, acclaim goes hand-in-hand with success, It is important. Acting like a hypocritical fanboy and denying this now is not going to change these facts either.

Long time ago I said that Nolan needs to reinvent himself, and I used as comparison someone like Spielberg (I just use it as an example), who at the same point in Nolan's career (22 years into her career) made Schindler's List. That's my opinion.
I guess people haven't gotten bored of auteurs like Paul Thomas Anderson **yet** because he keeps changing (and well his writing is masterful IMO, the most important thing).