Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Tarssauce wrote:
May 29th, 2023, 2:10 pm
They made a mini nuclear bomb. The size of an orange.

I've started my Nolan marathon recently.

Oppenheimer clearly borrows the <<colour>> is subjective and ##B&W## is objective from Memento (nothing new).
That's how they were differentiated in the script by the way.
But watching Insomnia today made me realize he also borrows the subjective microscopic visions and inserts from that film into Oppenheimer. It'll be interesting to see how that footage will be cut throughout the film. There were some incredible flashes and cuts in both Memento and Insomnia.
Feels apt that he's revisiting stylistic things from the beginning of his career 20 years on. In some ways it's bringing his films full circle.

Waitedalongtime wrote:
May 29th, 2023, 5:15 pm
Feels apt that he's revisiting stylistic things from the beginning of his career 20 years on. In some ways it's bringing his films full circle.
Absolutely. I love that he’s doing it. A combination of ideas and techniques he mastered over the years.

*Btw, when I said “nothing new” I meant it’s already known and has been pointed out several times since the news about the use of B&W came out. But I haven’t made the connection to Insomnia until now.

I am exited for Oppenheimer but is anyone else wondering why Nolan uses the same cinematographer literally forever until they retire and he has to get a new one?

Directors like Denis Villeneuve, Kubrick, Scorsese all work with different cinematographers while retaining their signature style. The Shining looks completely different to Dr Strangelove and that one is completely different to Eyes Wide Shut. In Scorsese's case, Goodfellas looks completely different than Taxi Driver. In Villeneuve's case, Blade Runner 2049 looks different than Arrival and Dune. That's three cinematographers in a span of 5 years.

Meanwhile, Interstellar, Dunkirk, Tenet and now Oppenheimer all more or less look the same. Also, every Nolan film in the 2000's looked the same because once again, the same cinematographer in all of them.

When Nolan started working with Hoyte, he grew as a filmmaker but maybe it's time to find another cinematographer to get the juices flowing again.

Hoyte's specialization lies in his ability to carry an IMAX camera on his shoulder all by himself..lol :lol:

Retskrad wrote:
May 30th, 2023, 5:20 am
I am exited for Oppenheimer but is anyone else wondering why Nolan uses the same cinematographer literally forever until they retire and he has to get a new one?

Directors like Denis Villeneuve, Kubrick, Scorsese all work with different cinematographers while retaining their signature style. The Shining looks completely different to Dr Strangelove and that one is completely different to Eyes Wide Shut. In Scorsese's case, Goodfellas looks completely different than Taxi Driver. In Villeneuve's case, Blade Runner 2049 looks different than Arrival and Dune. That's three cinematographers in a span of 5 years.

Meanwhile, Interstellar, Dunkirk, Tenet and now Oppenheimer all more or less look the same. Also, every Nolan film in the 2000's looked the same because once again, the same cinematographer in all of them.

When Nolan started working with Hoyte, he grew as a filmmaker but maybe it's time to find another cinematographer to get the juices flowing again.
I get what you mean, I’m indeed reminded of A) the freshness of Hoyte lensing Interstellar and B) the fact that since then the overall look hasn’t heavily changed. I like the overall look that’s been kept but perhaps for his next film he could pick another DP. There’s nothing wrong with keeping the same cinematographer especially if you work well with them, but yeah sometimes it’s good to change things up.visually which is part of why I like the elemental cutaways that are gonna be in the film.

Retskrad wrote:
May 30th, 2023, 5:20 am

Spielberg has used the same cinematographer since Schindler’s List

Nah. Why fix what isn't broken? Besides Hoyt has perfected using the Imax 70mm camera. Not many cinematographers could work with that.

Keep him.

If it's true, the american equivalent is what? PG-13?