Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Collector03601 wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 6:35 am
DHOPW42 wrote:
August 4th, 2022, 4:15 am
I thought that those images were either CGI or practical effects that were created exclusively for the teaser and that they don't have significance with regards to the film other than visually representing a nuclear reaction. That comet-like burst is an intriguing shot but I don't think it's anything other than a visual effect created for this bombastic teaser.
Yep, totally agree. Especially when there is the Truman statement right before that imagery. I think its perfectly representing the "The force ...has been loosed" moment.
Hard to believe that’s a throwaway shot. It’s 100% practical which makes me think Nolan will be doing alot of miniature work in this movie like Interstellar. That’s what it reminded me of. All the bomb scenes will probably be extensive miniature work with real explosions filmed in crazy close up camera angles to make it look legit as possible.

BobCobb wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 12:04 am
Collector03601 wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 6:35 am
DHOPW42 wrote:
August 4th, 2022, 4:15 am
I thought that those images were either CGI or practical effects that were created exclusively for the teaser and that they don't have significance with regards to the film other than visually representing a nuclear reaction. That comet-like burst is an intriguing shot but I don't think it's anything other than a visual effect created for this bombastic teaser.
Yep, totally agree. Especially when there is the Truman statement right before that imagery. I think its perfectly representing the "The force ...has been loosed" moment.
Hard to believe that’s a throwaway shot. It’s 100% practical which makes me think Nolan will be doing alot of miniature work in this movie like Interstellar. That’s what it reminded me of. All the bomb scenes will probably be extensive miniature work with real explosions filmed in crazy close up camera angles to make it look legit as possible.
I guess we will see next year. Based on his last two teasers not all shots might end up being in the movie. Safe to say the black & white shots are likely to end up in the film, but the bomb effects Im not sure. Looking great tho, really interested to see his approach to making these explosion scenes.

KEM
I love the bomb/fire shots, especially that last one of the slo-mo inverted mushroom cloud, SO dope

I am pretty sure that the shot of the hat with the pipe and the shot of Oppenheimer adjusting his hat are the same shot just the start and the end of it. You can see that the camera pushes away in both shots.
I would even go so far and say that this is the first shot of the movie with some voiceover or just some music. Would be a sick opening shot.

Nolan62 wrote:
February 28th, 2022, 6:05 pm
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... -interview
You mentioned “Oppenheimer.” What made you think that could be a theatrical event and right for Nolan?

Roven: I had been given the book by a friend of mine. I realized that it was going to take a very special filmmaker to do it. But, you know, it did win the Pulitzer Prize. It’s a great piece of literature. And it’s about a seminal event in the 20th century, and one that resonates today.

I’ve known Chris and Emma for almost 20 years now. We were enjoying a weekend together, and I just brought up this idea. And in talking with them about it, Chris said, “Well, let me read the book.” And he came back and said, “I’m interested in doing it.”

It’s just a brilliant script, and we got this wonderful cast together, who also felt the same as we all felt, that it was very compelling. In its own way, almost a thriller. I gotta say, I think a lot of people are going to say, “Oh, Chris Nolan’s doing that? I want to see that.”

Gartner: He’s also got precedent. “Dunkirk” is a great precedent in a way.
This is going to be amazing. Interesting to see that it was Roven who launched him the idea of the book in the first place.
Totally missed this bit of info about Roven being the one who pitched him the idea for the movie. All this time I thought it was just Nolan becoming obsessed with Oppenheimer on his own after including the scientist-who-regrets-building-a-weapon-that-can-destroy-the-world backstory in Tenet and namedropping Oppenheimer as an analogy.

I’m very curious at what point Roven suggested the book to Nolan. If it was during the time Nolan was finishing the script for Tenet, that makes me wonder how much that influenced/inspired some of Tenet’s plot elements, or if the parallels between some of Tenet’s plot elements and Oppenheimer are just coincidental and Roven suggested the book after Nolan had already completed Tenet’s script… which seems unlikely to me.

It’s also interesting that it was Roven and not Nolan himself who pitched the idea because this marks the first time since, what, TDK trilogy that Nolan decided to do a project because someone else approached him about it? All the movies he’s done since then have either been original projects, or, in the case of Interstellar, a project that he contacted the studio about to take over after another director dropped out. Since this is the first time Nolan’s accepted something pitched to him after becoming a household name and obtaining the freedom to explore any original ideas he has, it makes me wonder if this is a sign that his drawer of original ideas is getting lighter and if he might adapt more of other people’s work in the future.

Of course, he could also just be wanting to try something different for a change and might still have plenty of original ideas left in his drawer… but then again if he did have more original ideas for movies that he was super passionate about, I’d like to think he would still want to prioritize those over adapting a biography that a producer randomly suggested to him. He’s already made several of his long-gestating original passion projects (Inception, Dunkirk, Tenet) and has gotten those off his chest, so it does beg the question of how deep does his drawer of original ideas go?

Personally, I wouldn’t mind if he starts adapting more stuff in the future – either books or other people’s screenplays – because it would be interesting to see him collaborate with a different voice for a change. If at this point he’s made most of the original ideas that he had already been developing for a long time, it may take him longer to develop more original ideas, so, again, I wouldn’t mind seeing him adapting more stuff (Hell and Gone, or a horror novel perhaps).

Janky Sam wrote:
August 13th, 2022, 3:43 am
Nolan62 wrote:
February 28th, 2022, 6:05 pm
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... -interview
You mentioned “Oppenheimer.” What made you think that could be a theatrical event and right for Nolan?

Roven: I had been given the book by a friend of mine. I realized that it was going to take a very special filmmaker to do it. But, you know, it did win the Pulitzer Prize. It’s a great piece of literature. And it’s about a seminal event in the 20th century, and one that resonates today.

I’ve known Chris and Emma for almost 20 years now. We were enjoying a weekend together, and I just brought up this idea. And in talking with them about it, Chris said, “Well, let me read the book.” And he came back and said, “I’m interested in doing it.”

It’s just a brilliant script, and we got this wonderful cast together, who also felt the same as we all felt, that it was very compelling. In its own way, almost a thriller. I gotta say, I think a lot of people are going to say, “Oh, Chris Nolan’s doing that? I want to see that.”

Gartner: He’s also got precedent. “Dunkirk” is a great precedent in a way.
This is going to be amazing. Interesting to see that it was Roven who launched him the idea of the book in the first place.
Totally missed this bit of info about Roven being the one who pitched him the idea for the movie. All this time I thought it was just Nolan becoming obsessed with Oppenheimer on his own after including the scientist-who-regrets-building-a-weapon-that-can-destroy-the-world backstory in Tenet and namedropping Oppenheimer as an analogy.

I’m very curious at what point Roven suggested the book to Nolan. If it was during the time Nolan was finishing the script for Tenet, that makes me wonder how much that influenced/inspired some of Tenet’s plot elements, or if the parallels between some of Tenet’s plot elements and Oppenheimer are just coincidental and Roven suggested the book after Nolan had already completed Tenet’s script… which seems unlikely to me.

It’s also interesting that it was Roven and not Nolan himself who pitched the idea because this marks the first time since, what, TDK trilogy that Nolan decided to do a project because someone else approached him about it? All the movies he’s done since then have either been original projects, or, in the case of Interstellar, a project that he contacted the studio about to take over after another director dropped out. Since this is the first time Nolan’s accepted something pitched to him after becoming a household name and obtaining the freedom to explore any original ideas he has, it makes me wonder if this is a sign that his drawer of original ideas is getting lighter and if he might adapt more of other people’s work in the future.

Of course, he could also just be wanting to try something different for a change and might still have plenty of original ideas left in his drawer… but then again if he did have more original ideas for movies that he was super passionate about, I’d like to think he would still want to prioritize those over adapting a biography that a producer randomly suggested to him. He’s already made several of his long-gestating original passion projects (Inception, Dunkirk, Tenet) and has gotten those off his chest, so it does beg the question of how deep does his drawer of original ideas go?

Personally, I wouldn’t mind if he starts adapting more stuff in the future – either books or other people’s screenplays – because it would be interesting to see him collaborate with a different voice for a change. If at this point he’s made most of the original ideas that he had already been developing for a long time, it may take him longer to develop more original ideas, so, again, I wouldn’t mind seeing him adapting more stuff (Hell and Gone, or a horror novel perhaps).
Regardless, he's got his own style and that shows no matter what he's making. As long as he's not out of creative drive, he can do anything.

Anybody seen this standee in their local theater, yet? Seems a little earlier for such a big display, basically a whole year out from release..Still cool, though!

radewart wrote:
August 14th, 2022, 3:26 pm
Anybody seen this standee in their local theater, yet? Seems a little earlier for such a big display, basically a whole year out from release..Still cool, though!

That's terrific

KEM
radewart wrote:

That looks so sick

radewart wrote:

UNREAL

If I see this in a theater I seriously might try to steal it. Not even kidding.