Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
jetsdude wrote:
August 3rd, 2022, 10:08 am
Time wrote:
August 3rd, 2022, 10:02 am
Angus wrote:
August 3rd, 2022, 8:21 am
I wouldn't be surprised if Nolan retired after Oppenheimer. He's got to be getting exhausted with all this streaming and IP focus post-covid and MCU/Star Wars/Disney+ nonsense. Now this. I'd be having an existential crisis as an artist. I can't imagine he hasn't thrown his arms up at least once and said, "Fuck it, I'm done."

I don't want this to happen, to be clear, haha. But you have to wonder, would Kubrick keep going in this era if he was in his 50s?
If anything I feel like this would embolden him to keep fighting for a more creative approach to his films and leading by example.
i mean he's already taking over a year off before even beginning to plan a new project. Artists can't retire, he's too creative for that.
I personally think he's too passionate about filmmaking to ever retire. I also doubt he takes the extra year off, probably uses it to give himself more time to flesh things out.

Ace
It’s photoshopped. Looks like they used a image from one of his Directors Guild Q&A he’s done over the years.

What do you guys think is that shot right before the FROM CHristopher Nolan appears in the trailer.

It looks like a comet. Is it the bomb being dropped?

Ace wrote:
August 3rd, 2022, 8:38 pm
It’s photoshopped. Looks like they used a image from one of his Directors Guild Q&A he’s done over the years.
Nice catch

Ace wrote:
August 3rd, 2022, 8:38 pm
Thank you for clarifying it.

KEM
BobCobb wrote:
August 3rd, 2022, 8:50 pm
What do you guys think is that shot right before the FROM CHristopher Nolan appears in the trailer.

Yeah that’s the shot I’m most perplexed by, it does look like a comet, but I don’t see how that relates to the story material at all, maybe it’s a piece of debris after the blast? That’s my best guess

I thought that those images were either CGI or practical effects that were created exclusively for the teaser and that they don't have significance with regards to the film other than visually representing a nuclear reaction. That comet-like burst is an intriguing shot but I don't think it's anything other than a visual effect created for this bombastic teaser.

KEM wrote:
August 4th, 2022, 3:44 am
BobCobb wrote:
August 3rd, 2022, 8:50 pm

Yeah that’s the shot I’m most perplexed by, it does look like a comet, but I don’t see how that relates to the story material at all, maybe it’s a piece of debris after the blast? That’s my best guess
My impression is that it might be an earlier detonation test, or the first stage of a guided spherical bomb, Gadget was a spherical guided bomb if im not mistaken, so the exterior sphere was riddled with explosive material to compress the inner fuel and make it reach critical mass, it also could probably be just part of the more abstract imagery on the teaser.

DHOPW42 wrote:
August 4th, 2022, 4:15 am
I thought that those images were either CGI or practical effects that were created exclusively for the teaser and that they don't have significance with regards to the film other than visually representing a nuclear reaction. That comet-like burst is an intriguing shot but I don't think it's anything other than a visual effect created for this bombastic teaser.
Yep, totally agree. Especially when there is the Truman statement right before that imagery. I think its perfectly representing the "The force ...has been loosed" moment.