Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
I just finished the book, and the ending is a bit bleak, to be honest. I wonder if Nolan will include the fates of some of Oppenheimer's closer relatives, because it makes the whole story quite sad to be honest... I'm not sure if there are many hopeful moments in this life story :D

And there's a whole bit where Oppenheimer reacts to a contemporary play that was written about his ordeal, and Oppenheimer didn't have a very good opinion of it, as he thought it was too melodramatic and lacked the necessary ambiguity that a good drama is characterized by. I wonder if Nolan will take note of this - although I wouldn't be surprised, as most of his heroes are pretty ambiguous.

So, yeah, I mean he's a mean who was in love with his country and nature and his friends, but failed somewhat at some of the more important aspects of life, such as raising children, marital fidelity, etc. And, once again, by the end the man and his life made a bleak and almost sad impression on me. I am really dying to see how Nolan approaches this.

DHOPW42 wrote:
January 12th, 2022, 3:21 pm
I just finished the book, and the ending is a bit bleak, to be honest. I wonder if Nolan will include the fates of some of Oppenheimer's closer relatives, because it makes the whole story quite sad to be honest... I'm not sure if there are many hopeful moments in this life story :D

And there's a whole bit where Oppenheimer reacts to a contemporary play that was written about his ordeal, and Oppenheimer didn't have a very good opinion of it, as he thought it was too melodramatic and lacked the necessary ambiguity that a good drama is characterized by. I wonder if Nolan will take note of this - although I wouldn't be surprised, as most of his heroes are pretty ambiguous.

So, yeah, I mean he's a mean who was in love with his country and nature and his friends, but failed somewhat at some of the more important aspects of life, such as raising children, marital fidelity, etc. And, once again, by the end the man and his life made a bleak and almost sad impression on me. I am really dying to see how Nolan approaches this.
I definitely can't wait to start reading this huge book, I think this is going to be a deep dive into a really tumultuous character.

And I have no doubts that Nolan is going to do a masterpiece with it, again, I think this is going to be his more complex and profound character study to date, and I'm dying to see what kind of cinematic experimentation he'll bring to faithfully represent this man's life.

DHOPW42 wrote:
January 12th, 2022, 3:21 pm

I just finished as well.

The ending is insanely depressing, holy shit it hits one like a cinder block. I doubt Nolan will have the time to go into the end stuff. It is fascinating, sort of bookends the tragedy with the other major figure in Oppenheimer's life.

Also, it is becoming even more clear that the synopsis posted a few weeks ago is wrong. RDJ and Safdie's parts would all be in the post-test bombings section.

Emily Blunt is going to have the most difficult time, Kitty is so many things, and to be able to pull that off is gonna be nuts. If Nolan and her find the right way to stay true to even a fraction of how she is talked about in the book, it is not only Oscar time, but a true all-timer performance.

There are also definitely more major parts to cast. maybe 3-4 big parts that need to be filled. Going to be curious who is gonna picked.

u guys' thoughts on the book made me even more excited for this project!

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
January 13th, 2022, 1:58 am
It's such a perfect fit for Nolan, thematically, and narratively it's kind of mind-blowing. It's going to be monumental.

Retskrad wrote:
January 12th, 2022, 5:59 am
https://boldentrance.com/watch-christop ... mann-heat/

I have lost some admiration and respect for Chris Nolan after watching that video in the article. Nolan became a superstar because of The Dark Knight but it turns out, he plagiarized so many scenes from Michael Mann films. Wow. I am actually shocked. Now I’m now questioning what else Nolan has stolen in all his other movies.
Come on bruh, even these guys are not that easy.

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
January 13th, 2022, 1:58 am
same

https://twitter.com/Usa_Production/stat ... 3320446984

I really hope this is legit. And if it is, they're really starting to film in L.A, like it was rumoured. I've already seen this account, I think the infos it reports are pretty reliable in general. And it would confirm what the guy from the crew has been saying for some time now, a shooting starting between February and March.

Anyway, I can't wait!

Do you guys think they will film a large non nuclear explosion or will it be entirely CGI?

blackColumn wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 6:59 am
Do you guys think they will film a large non nuclear explosion or will it be entirely CGI?
I think kind of both. They will probably do practical explosions and it will be sweetened later with VFX. I remember when Oppenheimer was initially announced from Variety they mentioned that this project will have an extensive use of digital effects.
That maybe also explains that the post-production for this project appears to be longer compared to Dunkirk and Tenet.