Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Posts: 781
Joined: October 2019
LeoCobb wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 2:06 pm
Retskrad wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 6:25 am
https://www.interviewmagazine.com/film/ ... ld-of-dune

Denis Villeneuve and Guillermo del Toro have a conversation about Dune and the decisions that Denis made along the way. When Guillermo said "I have a saying: “If you have enough money, that means you don’t have enough imagination.”, it made me think of Tenet. It had a $200m budget, which is the highest budget given to Marvel movies, and Nolan did nothing with all that money. I have no idea what Warner Bros were thinking.

We have all heard the saying that restraint breeds creativity. It's a good sign to see a $100m budget attached to the Oppenheimer project. It will force Nolan to think outside the box. Universal and studios in the future should never give him any budget higher than $150m. Nolan works best when he is on a tight leash budget wise (Memento, The Prestige, Dunkirk). Every single movie of his that are above $150 million are bloated.
Hum.

“He is by far one of the best filmmakers working in the world today because people don’t realize the eye-level of his cinematic mastery, it’s crazy,” he continued. “It’s crazy. Every time Chris puts a movie on screen, I have to [see it on the big screen]. Of course, I saw ‘Tenet’ in the theaters. You can’t watch a Nolan movie at home, that’s like, that makes absolutely no sense. You have to, at first, receive the full impact of a Nolan movie in a theater. It’s really fascinating to see him evolving from one movie to another and always pushing the envelope, technically, narratively, and always reinventing himself. For me, it’s deeply inspiring to see that master at work.”

https://theplaylist.net/denis-villeneuv ... -20211022/
:clap:

User avatar
Posts: 73
Joined: January 2015
Retskrad wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 6:25 am
https://www.interviewmagazine.com/film/ ... ld-of-dune

Denis Villeneuve and Guillermo del Toro have a conversation about Dune and the decisions that Denis made along the way. When Guillermo said "I have a saying: “If you have enough money, that means you don’t have enough imagination.”, it made me think of Tenet. It had a $200m budget, which is the highest budget given to Marvel movies, and Nolan did nothing with all that money. I have no idea what Warner Bros were thinking.

We have all heard the saying that restraint breeds creativity. It's a good sign to see a $100m budget attached to the Oppenheimer project. It will force Nolan to think outside the box. Universal and studios in the future should never give him any budget higher than $150m. Nolan works best when he is on a tight leash budget wise (Memento, The Prestige, Dunkirk). Every single movie of his that are above $150 million are bloated.
Last 3 Warner Bros movies with over 150m budget before Tenet.

The Dark Knight Rises
Budget $250–300 million (gross) $230 million (net)
Box office $1.081 billion

Inception
Budget $160 million
Box office $836.8 million

The Dark Knight
Budget $185 million
Box office $1.005 billion
Retskrad wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 6:25 am
I have no idea what Warner Bros were thinking.
:facepalm:

User avatar
Posts: 3133
Joined: January 2009
I'm 160 pages in the book, and I have to say, it feels like a truly monumental movie could be in the making. Obviously it will be impossible to encapsulate all the details of his life in the film as it is in the book, but there are so many aspects of his personality and his life, his relationship with women, with his science and studies and work... and I still haven't gotten to the atomic bomb. Also, his controversial and highly debated affiliation with the Communist Party... judging by the book, it must play an important role in the film, I wonder how Nolan will tackle a truly political person, because I think he hasn't done anything like this before.

And the deeper and deeper the book delves into the small, everyday details of the man, the more out-of-this-world, exotic and - once again - monumental it feels to even think about the reality of nuclear weapons and the Trinity tests, etc. I am very excited to get to that part of the book and get a glimpse of the perspective the book will follow. That will be very telling of what sort of part that whole thing might play in the final film.

Posts: 541
Joined: November 2019
DHOPW42 wrote:
October 29th, 2021, 7:45 am
I'm 160 pages in the book, and I have to say, it feels like a truly monumental movie could be in the making. Obviously it will be impossible to encapsulate all the details of his life in the film as it is in the book, but there are so many aspects of his personality and his life, his relationship with women, with his science and studies and work... and I still haven't gotten to the atomic bomb. Also, his controversial and highly debated affiliation with the Communist Party... judging by the book, it must play an important role in the film, I wonder how Nolan will tackle a truly political person, because I think he hasn't done anything like this before.

And the deeper and deeper the book delves into the small, everyday details of the man, the more out-of-this-world, exotic and - once again - monumental it feels to even think about the reality of nuclear weapons and the Trinity tests, etc. I am very excited to get to that part of the book and get a glimpse of the perspective the book will follow. That will be very telling of what sort of part that whole thing might play in the final film.
That's assuming the film will be completely based on it. I’m not sure or don’t remember but it could also be more inspired by than what you are expecting there.

User avatar
Posts: 3133
Joined: January 2009
Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
October 29th, 2021, 8:51 am
That's assuming the film will be completely based on it. I’m not sure or don’t remember but it could also be more inspired by than what you are expecting there.
True, but since this is a biography, I guess there aren't too many options when it comes to facts and events of his life. I don't expect the film to follow the book in a narrative sense.

Posts: 1185
Joined: December 2017
DHOPW42 wrote:
October 29th, 2021, 9:26 am
Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
October 29th, 2021, 8:51 am
That's assuming the film will be completely based on it. I’m not sure or don’t remember but it could also be more inspired by than what you are expecting there.
True, but since this is a biography, I guess there aren't too many options when it comes to facts and events of his life. I don't expect the film to follow the book in a narrative sense.
Yes, I think it will be really and deeply based on the book, in the same way that Damien Chazelle drew on the book "First Man" by James R. Hansen for his biopic on Neil Armstrong.

It will be for the third time, with The Prestige and also the Dark Knight trilogy, that Nolan wrote a script where the raw material is entirely based on other elements, at least outside of his ideas, then he reworked them to make it his script and make it 100% his ideas (of screenplay, film etc...)

In any case, I am in need of information, we need more! Hopefully a little something in the next few days!
:gonf: :gonf: :gonf:

User avatar
Posts: 250
Joined: January 2014
DHOPW42 wrote:
October 29th, 2021, 7:45 am
I'm 160 pages in the book, and I have to say, it feels like a truly monumental movie could be in the making. Obviously it will be impossible to encapsulate all the details of his life in the film as it is in the book, but there are so many aspects of his personality and his life, his relationship with women, with his science and studies and work... and I still haven't gotten to the atomic bomb. Also, his controversial and highly debated affiliation with the Communist Party... judging by the book, it must play an important role in the film, I wonder how Nolan will tackle a truly political person, because I think he hasn't done anything like this before.

And the deeper and deeper the book delves into the small, everyday details of the man, the more out-of-this-world, exotic and - once again - monumental it feels to even think about the reality of nuclear weapons and the Trinity tests, etc. I am very excited to get to that part of the book and get a glimpse of the perspective the book will follow. That will be very telling of what sort of part that whole thing might play in the final film.
I’m almost exactly where you are in the book! Cinematically, I hope Hoyte straps the IMAX on the horse and takes us into the New Mexico mountains - if Nolan mixes genres again this could be Fail Safe meets Tombstone!

Posts: 2
Joined: October 2021
https://twitter.com/culturecrave/status ... 87755?s=21

I just saw that tweet of Denis Villeneuve’s films and holy crap. He’s extremely gifted at world building and portraying scale. I watched his and Nolan’s entire filmography and I have to say, Nolan films kind of look bland and empty in comparison. Frankly, I don’t see how anyone can refute that Denis Villeneuve is the greatest living filmmaker right now. Even Hans Zimmer has jumped ship to join him. This is no disrespect to Nolan. He’s had an amazing 20 year career and you can’t stay at the top forever. I can’t see Oppenheimer making Nolan more competitive with Denis Villeneuve.
Last edited by Brownsugar on October 31st, 2021, 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Posts: 868
Joined: February 2012
Nolan was spotted at a restaurant in Washington D.C. the other day.

I wonder if they'll shoot the D.C. scenes first? The big security hearing happened in April so I guess it makes sense.

Posts: 781
Joined: October 2019
Insomniac wrote:
October 31st, 2021, 1:58 pm
Nolan was spotted at a restaurant in Washington D.C. the other day.

I wonder if they'll shoot the D.C. scenes first? The big security hearing happened in April so I guess it makes sense.
Any word of what he had to eat at the restaurant?

Post Reply