God of War (PS4): The Godfather

A place to discuss music and video games.

^ Ah, he finally uplouded it, thanks! :thumbup:

It’s three o’clock in the morning, I’ve been playing for three hours without blinking and just went through that sweet digital art book, for better or worse. Because I saw some shit. And that shit looks ten times better than any of the MCU Norse mythology.

Basically... I am not ready for what is coming. And I was most definitely not ready for some of the stuff I’ve seen during those three hours of playthrough. Everything feels lived in... and dark(er)... almost like Roberd E. Howard left some unfinished sketches after he finished John Carter, Tarzan, Conan... and somebody decided it’s best to just show them to the people via Heavy Metal or 2000 A.D. magazines.

The soundtrack is expectedly awesome but the standouts are definitely the chorus parts... can’t miss those. Get a good headset for this one.

More thoughts to come but right now I’ll just leave a short comment on the battle system: it’s tight, it’s unforgiving and it’s tactical. Playing on Normal and yes, I’ve died couple of times because I haven’t used every single element at my disposal, and there’s a lot to juggle here at times. I’ve also fought some... bigger, foes, and my heart was racing mad throughout the fights. Everything depends on your skill as a player and there’s no place for old school GoW button mashing most of the times, even when you are stronger than basic enemies, they will swarm you and there are varied types that won’t attack one at a time like in Arkham series. Sending the leviathan axe and then recalling her is the best thing in the world and if I could compare the battle system with one game: Dark Souls III... but somehow tighter? In a way that the camera is super close and there’s another life that’s both helping you and depending on you. So yeah, it’s a hard life in the North.

Need to get some sleep now... I guess.

Yeah I would compare the combat to Dark Souls but it seems more smooth, precise, and much quicker which to me makes it better. I love all the options and various ways to destroy enemies, it seems like the system won’t get old fast.

PowerDump wrote:
April 19th, 2018, 11:54 pm
Yeah I would compare the combat to Dark Souls but it seems more smooth, precise, and much quicker which to me makes it better. I love all the options and various ways to destroy enemies, it seems like the system won’t get old fast.
It’s tough and more demanding for, say, an average button mashing GoW player (aka:moi), but then you get enough points for a cool attack and suddenly you’re: ‘You know what, monster, take THIS!’ *random-cool-as-fuck area effect* ...and you feel like a total badass.

BOI.

I guess I’m sort of surprised this game is doing as well with users as it is. I thought it would definitely do well but there always seems to be that whiny bunch who won’t accept any kind of change at all.

I... I think... I just realized why this game is so big, like 40+ hours big. :shock:

Neil has spoken:

Neil Druckmann✔@Neil_Druckmann
Promised @corybarlog I wouldn’t talk about God of War until it was out. I can finally say this game is the real deal. The bar for action/narrative games has been raised. Congrats to the team @SonySantaMonica !!

m4st4 wrote:
April 20th, 2018, 3:34 pm
Neil has spoken:

Neil Druckmann✔@Neil_Druckmann
Promised @corybarlog I wouldn’t talk about God of War until it was out. I can finally say this game is the real deal. The bar for action/narrative games has been raised. Congrats to the team @SonySantaMonica !!
When I first saw the first gameplay reveal I thought, I bet it will be good but I think they are going to be trying too hard to be like The Last Of Us. As I’ve been playing it and as I’ve seen how well it is being received I couldn’t have been more wrong, it’s just sooo good in pretty much all aspects I’ve seen so far.

I bet this will go down as one of those high mark games for a generation, much like The Last of Us (it wouldn’t surprise me if TLOU2 is also a high mark this gen) and Mass Effect 2 last gen.