Red Dead Redemption 2

A place to discuss music and video games.
prince0gotham wrote:you know there's modern westerns too right
Yeah but this one's a stretch. And modern or contemporary western in general is not really a valid sub-genre. It's more of a legacy thing. A callback.

The tone for this won't be there either because modern westerns rely on intimacy more than anything (recent example being Hell or High Water). And in gaming, considering the Far Cry franchise, doubt they'll go for that.

Then again if they nail the setting, even if it's not Wild West, they can make this game at least feel like a western even if it doesn't play like one. I can give them that.

I'm more excited at the prospect of waterfalls and tall vertical forests. Hopefully the sound design is glorious. I wanna hear some echoes and eagles flying up above. Wolves in distance at night.

announcement today :ugeek:

Looks God damn gorgeous. I take it this Mr Morgan is our new protagonist (unless it's another GTAV situation). Glad it's not John Marston again, as much as I adore him.

I dig everything besides those faces, facial animations look kind of rough.

m4st4 wrote:I dig everything besides those faces, facial animations look kind of rough.

^ Obviously not that level of rough but I believe it's the low poly textures on a mediocre facial mo-cap job rather than diving straight into uncanny valley. It's merely okay right now.

Yeah mocap aint too great but everything else is. But I'm surprised by the main character. I expected something more... silent?

Hopefully I'll like the protagonist. Let me say this upfront - I hated the guys in GTAV after a while, couldn't finish the game on PS3, or PS4, because of it. The game somehow went over my personal (moral) line several times and I hated how quickly it switched from 'we're killing an entire block full of cops and there's a cross-state federal bounty on our heads' to 'I'm just sellin' dope to my hommie right here'. So inconsistent, more than any other GTA game. I'm hoping for a more tightly constructed narrative in RDR2.

look fantastic but the story/characters don't seem very interesting

especially since it's sort of retreading things from RDR (Dutch's gang)

I fear it'll succumb to what GTAV did, which is, the story kind of faded away after a few hours and it became just a sandbox, which is fun but not engaging