Battlefield 1 (DICE WWI FPS on PC/XBONE/PS4)

A place to discuss music and video games.
RIFA wrote:I don't know what you keep pushing here since I agreed on the segmented player base and I also agreed that these issues occur even more often when using the matchmaking system. Which is what they mostly complain about. Which leads to not finding servers. It is a problem but still this ain't proof of a game being dead unless you limit that concept by certain choices you make (especially on PC).

Like I said, I have servers that I added to my favorite list which I realized will always be populated. Vanilla and DLC. Maybe it's the PC gamer in me but I never relied to matchmaking. I always loved integrating myself in certain communities. Certain servers that I know and that work for me. And because of this I haven't really felt what you felt. And I've did this for all games I've played on PC. From Half-Life and Quake 2 back in the day to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Battlefield games. Unfortunately in latest COD games you don't have this luxury so if matchmaking fails there then you're fucked as a player.

But I'm well aware of the issue. It's been present since BF3 so I'm not arguing against that at all.

Maybe they will consider changing the Premium structure in such way that it doesn't affect the actual core content (maps, weapons, vehicles, factions). I know that DICE maps cost a lot of $$$ to make so I'm not sure how it can be handled. Maybe lower the price of premium or maybe change the format of the available micro-transactions. Or maybe still have premium but offer different perks for it that are not related to core-content while also not creating the pay-2-win fiesta that was in Infinite-Warfare. Its a tough job for DICE and EA to think of ways to negative the negative effects of Premium.

Also I forgot to say. Battlefield 4 didn't receive a ton of content and didn't got fixed the first 6 months at all. Actually the player-base declined. Just like with Battlefield 1, even worse. What happened is that after 1 year, DICE LA finally fixed the game and started to pour in content and took over the game. Therefore in the second year of Battlefield 4 the growth started to occur. So so far, Battlefield 1 is on track. There's not a lot of fixing required now so it's only the lack of new content.
What I keep pushing here? You won't admit that this game is dying on PC despite all the obvious evidences which suggests so. You keep calling it "normal" and a "cycle". That's denial. BF4 is on pace to overtake BF1 population on PC, and we're not even halfway through BF1's life cycle: https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefield/co ... rtake_bf1/

I don't use the matchmaking option but the server browser. I want to play a game of Frontlines but I can't find a fucking server that's not empty. I want to play a DLC operation when I have the time, and not during peak hours or on a server located on another continent with 200+ ping.

Btw, despite the fact that it took a year to fix BF4, the playerbase remained fairly stable compared to BF1. An important reason for this was that DICE - and this is where you are simply wrong - released a lot of new content and quickly (paired with CTE). DLCs dropped with short intervals (including some free stuff). This is what DICE should do with BF1 to curb the declining playerbase. But no, they're doing the opposite by stretching it out. Again, let's compare:

BF4 - October/November 2013
China Rising - December 3, 2013
Second Assault - February 18, 2014
Naval Strike - March 25, 2014
Dragon's Teeth - July 15, 2014
Final Stand - November 18, 2014

vs

BF1 - October 2016
They Shall Not Pass - Late March 2017
In The Name of The Tsar - September 2017
Turning Tides - December 2017
Apocalypse - February 2018

DICE just announced that Frontlines will be coming to two vanilla maps in June. Maybe this can reinvigorate some interest in this game. I highly doubt it will last for long though.

Yeah the comments in that reddit thread pretty much spell it out. And I hadn't thought about it like this but apparently people are getting bored with the lack of sandbox depth, which I initially liked as well, I really wanted a simpler, grounded and less chaotic BF experience from BF1 and I like that about it but I guess sometimes it gets samy, especially on PC, especially for guys who just want a sandbox and are distracted by competition. Yeah, this is more than just a part of the trend.

It's not denial man it just is what it is. And it's made worse by the likes of Overwatch taking a hold of all the people that wanted something less sandboxy. If Overwatch was not around, there would be more people playing Battlefield 1. Just as there would be more people playing Call of Duty. But they're not. All these shooters, lost a healthy segment of their population once Overwatch arrived. Especially on PC. Because people play with friends a lot. And not every friend of yours has BF1, let alone the Premium edition for it. And Battlefield games take longer. But everyone has Overwatch now.

If it makes you feel better I'll agree the game is getting worse on PC. But you're exaggerating a whole lot. It will get better with the Tsar. But this ain't no different than Battlefield 4 and 3 in terms of cycle. People were saying BF3 was dying on PC too because all they could play was Metro and Noshahr Canals. But was it really dead when it had 20k players on PC playing Metro and Noshahr? Just because the majority of players moved to play 2 maps on 2 game modes and ignored the rest of the content doesn't mean the game was dying.

I mean if you want to talk about dying games then Overwatch is dying too by your logic. Sure, in Overwatch you find games because it's structured like COD and it has a really well implemented MM system and more players etc. But in comparison to what OW was 6 months ago? The drop off is visible.

You know what is a dying shooter? Titanfall 2 on PC. That one is. When you're in a game that's based on matchmaking and you get queued with the same people several times in a row and that in addition to only being able to play attrition. That's a problem yes.

But Battlefield 1 dying? Even on PC? No. It has 28000 players during weekends. No games that has that amount of players is a dying game. It's just inaccurate. Everything you're saying is true minus the fucking dying part lol. PC or not. Do you know how many players were initially on BF1 PC launch? 120k. So you have almost 30k players still playing in the weekends, when you yourself said, there's a lack of content and incentive to play. People will moan on reddit because that's what they fucking do and reddit and official forums are their grieving grounds. There's been threads of League of Legends dying on LoL reddit because that's the feeling some players got. But the reality is just factually wrong. Quite on the opposite actually. When you maintain 25% of the playbase, 8 months after launch, with no content updated in 3 months now, you're not fucking dying. I mean you're moaning about a game-mode that's DLC specific. Yeah you won't be able to play it 3 months after the last DLC came out. But this was the problem in BF3 too. In BF4 as well with the DLC specific game-modes. And the solution to that was to inject vanilla maps into those game modes just like BF1 will do now. Hoopty doo. Look at that beautiful cycle.

And you wanna know something, by the time the Tsar expansion will hit, player population will lower even more by at most 20k in weekends. So it will drop another 10k. But when Tsar will hit and you're gonna have 6 new maps, more unlocks, more content. And the next DLC will be 2-3 months away then I guarantee you the population will rise back to 40k on PC. And no fucking games besides Overwatch and CSGO has that amount of players. It's just silly to say that it's dead. It's segmented yes. And because of that you can't fucking play whatever you want. You need to either accept that the community moved largely to vanilla and the main game modes and that DLC content is just on a couple of servers and can be played heavily in the first month of release... or you can just continue to say that for you if this happens for a game then that game is dying. But by that logic any game that's not built like Overwatch is fucking dying 2 months down the line tops.

Nail in the coffin? Battlefield 4 started with 28k players on PC on launch. I guess that game was dead on arrival by your standards. And at it's highest it had 40k players. While BF1 had 40k players 3 months ago. And BF4 right now has 19k players in weekends. Seems to me that it's just what the core-base of BF players on PC really is. That's why it looks like it remained stable. It remained stable because 90% of the people who bought BF4 on PC were BF players. That's why it remained stable. Because you didn't have a bunch of COD and CSGO players picking up BF1. The drop off is huge yes but you're ignoring a lot of context here. Battlefield 1 was bought by a lot of people, most of which never ever played a Battlefield game. And in time ofc they got bored and moved on. But the BF community is still here, present every day just as it was and still is in any BF game and nobody called those games dead either (I mean they did, just like they do now with BF1, people like you). Like I'm not even sure you understand what 10k players means on this age on PC for any game. That's a lot of players. That's more than a healthy core-base of players. I agree with everything said besides the dying part.

It's just silly. Leave assumptions away and ignore your own definition for a dying game. Look at the facts and context.

Seems like the damage model on the double barrel is similar to the one in Hardline, which was one of the most enjoyable guns in that game. A real skill-cannon.

Man, i'm terrible in mp. Rank 3 and i can barely get any kills in TDM, Rush and Conquest. Maybe i'll improve massively, like in Battlefield 4, when i get better guns.

Does no one play Operations on Xbox One? All i join are empty servers. Maybe it's because i'm located within the Oceania region (?).

Eh, never mind. Managed to join a server through one of the members of one of the Battlefield 1 Xbox Club. Extra sweet that i got that achievement that's related to winning operations.