Video Games Part II

A place to discuss music and video games.
It was my first GTA and honestly thought it was fairly great. The set pieces and missions are consistently excellent and surprisingly varied, the pacing is terrific, and the characters have surprising interiority and pathos.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure it becomes more than the sum of its parts but it is very, very good. The final big mission is awesome. That said, the actual final ending I didn't care for.

My biggest criticism is that they needed to better incentivize side missions involving flying or boating. The game has all this amazing, gorgeous functionality but barely uses any of it.

On a personal note, after spending a week in LA earlier this year, driving around in GTAV make me very nostalgic. Just about everywhere I visited in LA is in GTAV somewhere or another.

-Vader

m4st4 wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 7:00 am
Ruth wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 6:28 am
i mean gta v may not be some masterpiece in video game storytelling or anything like that, but i def think it’s worth finishing, it’s fun!
It's a marvel in world building and definitely fun! Back in the days (on both PS3 and PS4) I had problems with all of its protagonists but it's quarantine and I'm in the mood now.
the protagonists not being the best examples of humanity don’t really bother me as much, because i feel like that’s kind of the price you pay with GTA. the adoration of trevor that I’ve seen from some made me feel iffy for sure, but my biggest gripe with GTA so far is its portrayal of women. It’s a longstanding pattern with their games, which peaked in V, and no matter how you look at it, at this point it’s pretty inexcusable. They’re long overdue a woman character that isn’t a sex worker to kill or a walking hysterical insanity. if the VI one maintains the same system of switching between a couple of characters, i hope they include a woman

and go back to vice city ffs

Vader182 wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 7:09 am
It was my first GTA and honestly thought it was fairly great. The set pieces and missions are consistently excellent and surprisingly varied, the pacing is terrific, and the characters have surprising interiority and pathos.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure it becomes more than the sum of its parts but it is very, very good. The final big mission is awesome. That said, the actual final ending I didn't care for.

My biggest criticism is that they needed to better incentivize side missions involving flying or boating. The game has all this amazing, gorgeous functionality but barely uses any of it.

On a personal note, after spending a week in LA earlier this year, driving around in GTAV make me very nostalgic. Just about everywhere I visited in LA is in GTAV somewhere or another.

-Vader
Lucky you, my only reference are movies, and I still have those moments of 'hey, that' s just like GTA! '... Uhm, no, more like that's LA, or Miami, or New York. :lol: My reference is my vision of America through Rockstar filter.

And that' s exactly what I'm in the mood for right now. Openess of the world and the level of craft that is unlike anything in the genre. Well, RDR2 is obviously better in that regard but that's western and I need something contemporary.

As for the characters and development, the cohesiveness of it all, you know what bothered me the most? After every big world changing massacre I'm doing this unimportant side mission about weed dealers and it makes you realize - nothing is really important. It's only important when you're in it. But the world sort of resets after every mission into being what it was from the start - a beautiful unchanging sandbox. Hopefully made sense.

Ruth, they need to make a female protag for GTA VI Jesus Christ, long overdue.
And Vice City is a goddamned classic for sure! :D :twothumbsup:

Oh, how I wish I could finish Alien Isolation. Fantastic game. Sadly it gave me too much stress. Couldn't really handle the freaking Xenomorph on my arse every 5 seconds.

I finished Monument Valley (again) and Path of Giants (first time!), any other cool mobile puzzle games to try out?

Currently, still waiting on unemployment and my extra $600 a week to come through so that I can order a switch when it becomes available and get Animal Crossing and the Mario Games.

Love Monument Valley 1&2. Have u tried The Room series? Terrific puzzles and engaging gameplay. All timer.

Also try Limbo if u haven't already. It's very similar to Inside, from the same dev.
Last edited by Master Virgo on May 10th, 2020, 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master Virgo wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 10:03 am
Oh, how I wish I could finish Alien Isolation. Fantastic game. Sadly it gave me too much stress. Couldn't really handle the freaking Xenomorph on my arse every 5 seconds.
How far did you get? At a certain point I just got used to it and it wasn’t to intense. Plus, later in the game it becomes easier to survive encounters without giving away spoilers on why.

But yeah, these types of games kinda stress me as well. It is why it’s taken forever for me to even start the game even though Alien is easily in my top 10 films and I’ve heard great things about the game before way back when it launched.

Master Virgo wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 1:55 am
Love Monument Valley 1&2. Have u tried The Room series? Terrific puzzles and engaging gameplay. All timer.

Also try Limbo if u haven't already. It's very similar to Inside, from the same dev.
Will check these out! Thank you!

Mother's Day was definitely the best day to play Monument Valley 2.
Literally teared up at the parts where Ro was separated from her daughter.

I recently finished Final Fantasy VII Remake on Hard (took me 80 hours for both Normal and Hard), went on to replay Uncharted 4, and tomorrow I'll be done with frankly fantastic Lost Legacy (my favorite Uncharted after Among Thieves).

After that... There are several options on the table. Ion Fury is coming out. Wonderful 101 remaster for Switch on May 22nd. And might finally finish GTAV.

June 19th onwards will be all about The Last of Us Part II.

And I've been playing Animal Crossing: New Horizons nonstop since March. This quarantine business really helps with backlogs and gaming hobby in general.