Video Games Part II

A place to discuss music and video games.
Speaking of cringy dialogue, after playing 9 or so hours I uninstalled Arkham Origins, because it was just so tiring... I loved Asylum and City, but Origins is almost literally the same as the previous game. Okay, maybe more boring. And also, one of the main reasons it was tiring me were the run-of-the-mill dialogues and one-liners I had to constantly listen to. I went on to Arkham Knight because at least it looks and - so far - plays much, much better.

Blasphemy. Origins is the bomb. Probably my favorite in the series.

The writing can get bad in moments - I hate Gordon's dialogue near the end after Batman "defeats" Bane... it's completely not organic within the story. There's also the cut scene with Alfred arguing with Bruce, which is great and nicely written btw, but comes at a weird moment and almost out of nowhere considering the dialogue interaction you have with him before that.

So yeah, there are some hickups. But Joker-Batman dynamic is solid as usual. Batman is the best he's been in this whole series and the setting adds a lot to the game as well. I wished more development for some villains other than "money". It fits characters like Deathstroke and Deadshot but for Bane is a bit of a nothing burger (then again his motivation to defeat Batman was flimsy in the comics as well. It only made sense in Nolan's movie).

Since the quarantine, I've had the time to play/complete the games I never got around to.

Here's how I'd rank what I played:
1. The Last of Us (second playthrough)
2. God of War
3. The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt (& Hearts of Stone DLC)
4. Bioshock Infinite
5. Bioshock
6. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (second playthrough)
7. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
8. Spider-Man

9. Jedi: Fallen Order

*4 & 5, 6 & 7 are interchangeable*
Thinking of playing Shadow of the Colossus or Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. Or if any of ya'll have suggestions?

U3 is maybe the worst in the series. U2 and U4 are big favorites of mine.

Recommendations: Dark Souls 1, 3, Bloodborne, or Sekiro from From Software.

Nier Automata.

RDR2 if you haven't played it.

Lots of people really dig Horizon Zero Dawn, I thought it was a solid 8.5/10.

I can't in good conscience recommend Death Stranding since it's so polarizing but I mostly love it, regardless how messy it is.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 5:46 am
Recommendations: Dark Souls 1, 3, Bloodborne, or Sekiro from From Software.

Nier Automata.

RDR2 if you haven't played it.

Lots of people really dig Horizon Zero Dawn, I thought it was a solid 8.5/10.

I can't in good conscience recommend Death Stranding since it's so polarizing but I mostly love it, regardless how messy it is.

-Vader
From Software's games intrigue me (especially Dark Souls), but I'm also nervous about the gameplay which I've heard can be frustratingly hard.

Don't know much about Nier Automata, but I'll do some research.

Never finished RDR2 cuz I got about halfway on a friend's PS4 before buying my own, and it just seems daunting to get back to it.

I loved Death Stranding and I ordered Horizon Zero Dawn and am currently waiting for it in the mail.

Thanks for the recs!

Numbers wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 4:53 am
Or if any of ya'll have suggestions?
Yakuza 0. Best story in the series, best for newcomers, and one of the most entertaining games I've played recently. It's paced so well that after 90 hours it never got boring for me.

EDIT: I've only played the demo and watched the walkthroughs, but I second Vader's recommendation of Nier: Automata. Easily one of my favorite game soundtracks ever.

I really want to give Microsoft chance after skipping Box this generation but god that 'event' yesterday was atrocious.

So far Sony's silence is 'winning', which is sad when you think about it. I guess true next gen events next month will bring the hype from both companies.

m4st4 wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 8:32 am
I really want to give Microsoft chance after skipping Box this generation but god that 'event' yesterday was atrocious.

So far Sony's silence is 'winning', which is sad when you think about it. I guess true next gen events next month will bring the hype from both companies.

Sadly, the most exciting thing about the Series X is the backwards compatibility, and it is definitely a nice feature no doubt. Avoid Xbox boards though, because the extreme fanboys will say the little amount extra teraflops mean everything and that BC is more important than new console exclusives, which supposedly the Series X won’t have a single exclusive that isn’t on PC. I’ve actually seen Microsoft fanboys say, “I’m choosing the Series X because I don’t care about exclusives”...like...what?

But yeah, even if PS5 has kind of a dud when they do their big reveal, we already know what’s coming: God of War 2, Spider-Man 2, Horizon ZD 2, all GOTY candidates on paper. Not to mention Naughty Dog’s next project.

XBOX's exclusives never really appealed to me, so it's PS5 for me all the way.

Also @Vader:
I order Nier: Automata cuz it looks goddamn cool and dig what I've heard of the soundtrack.

Currently playing through the Bioshock Infinite DLC and will start Horizon: Zero Dawn tomorrow. It feels like I'm cheating on films.

Finished Alien Isolation, f***ing fantastic! My only real gripe are some of the technical issues, which were weird issues I don’t think I’ve ever encountered in another game. Still though, I’d definitely recommend it to people who really like the first film.