Yu Suzuki's Shenmue series (Dreamcast/XBOX/PC/PS4)

A place to discuss music and video games.
The rights are in SEGA's hands... SEGA however gave him green light to use Shenmue for third one.

If the highest grossing game on kickstarter isn't the right message maybe that change.org petition will do the trick. Maybe they'll announce it on TGS, but right now I believe it's bound to happen no matter what - in 2016 - even SEGA isn't that stupid to leave all that money on the table. Plus, remasters are supposedly done for some time.

Have you seen this video? Fan remake in Unreal 4, looks incredible:

Sega provided the following statement to Destructoid today, July 22: "Seeing our fans across the world respond to our recent interview with Famitsu, lets us know we've made the right first step in acknowledging who we are and where we want to be. Sega is dedicated to bringing you quality gaming experiences and becoming a brand you love and trust again." -- Haruki Satomi, CEO of Sega Games
Later on, they put Shenmue theme on iTunes:

https://twitter.com/SST_V/status/623686139740712960

This man will make it happen - people will be able to play Shenmue games on PC and their consoles.

TOM: A while ago you mentioned that you don’t really play games. Is that true?

Suzuki: I really don’t play games (laughs). I want to express the things outside games that I find intriguing inside games. Since my job is making games, I import things from outside games that no one has expressed in a game before, and express it through cooking up my own cuisine in the world of the game. Once the subject is decided, I do a lot of research on it.

TOM: Why is it that you don’t play games?

Suzuki: For instance, when we go to a game parlor, my friends are always better than me. It’s no fun when you always go home as the loser. Although in a game parlor, I might be fifth out of five, but when it comes to driving a real car, I enjoy it because I’m the faster one (laughs). This factor makes up the basis of fun. You just won’t enjoy doing something you lose at all the time, which is why I enjoy driving a real car or bike more. It’s not like I don’t like games, but to me, there are many things I can have more fun with, so I use my time for those instead.

TOM: There are a variety of games in the world, aren’t you interested in them?

Suzuki: Not really. Not playing games isn’t a minus for me. Since I’m a creator, I put great importance on originality. And since I don’t check out other games, I won’t end up making something similar. However, when we included video productions in Shenmue, we were using real-time CG to create these cinematic presentations. In order to be able to do that, I would not only watch but thoroughly analyze one movie a day for a period even when times were tight.

TOM: Unrelated to games, what movies do you like?

Suzuki: My three favorite movies are Roman Holiday (1953), Casablanca (1942), and Hustler (1961). In terms of direction, older movies aren’t as hurried compared to modern ones.

TOM: What else did you use as reference for Shenmue 1 and 2 besides movies?

Suzuki: Since Shenmue has a lot of components, it’s hard to specify. For the Virtua Fighter series, I immersed myself in studying kempo. When designing Out Run, I would often drive and I even rode a motorbike around, so badly that I ended up injuring myself (laughs). During the making of After Burner, I studied so hard I was almost like a military maniac. Shenmue is where I comprehensively used all that knowledge. The components of Shenmue include bikes, bicycles, and even street fighting. I put in all the know-how I acquired until that time.
http://otakumode.com/news/55c62e97887d92a516b043ae/

Project Update #45
Hello Everyone,
Thanks to your support, Shenmue III became the most funded video game on Kickstarter with 69,320 people helping to bring back the Shenmue series back to life. However, there are so many people told us they could not pledge on Kickstarter, or could not make the deadline, and have asked for a PayPal page for another opportunity to contribute to Shenmue III. So here we go!

The Slacker Backer period will continue through December 31st. While the full game will be completed as promised with the use of the funding collected on Kickstarter, any additional funding collected here will go towards reaching the Stretch Goals to make the game even bigger and deeper.The three month window was set to allow a long enough time to for everyone who wants to support Shenmue III to do so, but short enough to keep the release date on track.

The PayPal page will feature a selection of rewards from the Kickstarter campaign including the Trial Version and the Collector’s Edition. If you missed out on the Kickstarter, you still have a chance to be part of the Shenmue legacy!

Surveys, add-ons and upgrades
Surveys are not quite ready yet, but they will be going out during this Slacker Backer campaign. Once the survey system is up and running, add-ons and upgrades will be available for existing Kickstarter backers. We will of course keep you posted here on the Updates page with all the developments.
http://shenmue.link/order/

yay i get to be the fifth "contributor" to the thread

11072014 wrote:yay i get to be the fifth "contributor" to the thread

m4st4 wrote:The rights are in SEGA's hands... SEGA however gave him green light to use Shenmue for third one.

If the highest grossing game on kickstarter isn't the right message maybe that change.org petition will do the trick. Maybe they'll announce it on TGS, but right now I believe it's bound to happen no matter what - in 2016 - even SEGA isn't that stupid to leave all that money on the table. Plus, remasters are supposedly done for some time.

Have you seen this video? Fan remake in Unreal 4, looks incredible:
Sweet update... fan just got the job on Shenmue III.

Dream job for him.

OMG... it... it happened! PC/PS4/X

Speechless right now.

Everyone should play this.

Edit: legit some of the purest unique games of all time... that most of you haven’t played. Now in everyone’s hand. This is insane. Both English and Japanese va will be available.

*memories: https://youtu.be/K_zB-R-Dbw8