Ninty has struck secret deal with Sony for Mario animation

A place to discuss music and video games.
Sony Pictures and Nintendo appear to have closed a deal for the animated feature film rights to the Super Mario Bros. video game franchise, according to a series of emails discovered in the massive trove of hacked Sony files recently leaked to the media.

“I am the proud father of mario the animated film [sic],” producer Avi Arad told Sony studio chief Amy Pascal in an email dated Oct. 23, 2014, with the subject line “Mario.” Arad then forwarded Pascal separate images of him with Mario Bros. creator Shigeru Miyamoto and Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata, the latter of which included the message, “Happy ceo, lets get together, it’s the mother load. [sic]”

Pascal forwarded that email to Tom Rothman, who heads up Sony Pictures subsidiary TriStar Pictures. “Avi closed Mario brothers,” she said. “Animated.”

The deal represents only the first step in a very long road to a greenlight for an actual feature film. Animated films especially go through a long and rigorous script development process before a movie starts production. The emails also did not indicate any filmmakers attached to the project, although Pascal does at one point suggest Genndy Tartakovsky, who directed the 2012 Sony Pictures Animation feature Hotel Transylvania and created the Cartoon Network series Dexter’s Laboratory, Samurai Jack, and Star Wars: Clone Wars. “ts soooo perfect for him,” Pascal wrote. (A rep for Tartakovsky tells BuzzFeed News, however, that the filmmaker “is not involved.”)

On Oct. 24, Arad sent an email to Sony Pictures Animation president of production Michelle Raimo Kouyate thanking her for a congratulatory basket she sent him filled with Mario Bros. merchandise. “Thank you Avi!” Kouyate responded. “Let’s build a Mario empire!” Kouyate also sent a photo of the basket to Pascal, and said, “I can think of 3-4 movies right out of the gate on this. So huge!”

Sauce: http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/sony- ... bros-movie

To be totally honest I'm surprised this wasn't done years ago.
When Toy Story first broke onto the scene in spectacular fashion I thought it was only a matter of time before Mario (and few others) would jump onto the same cinematic bandwagon.

OpenBook wrote:To be totally honest I'm surprised this wasn't done years ago.
When Toy Story first broke onto the scene in spectacular fashion I thought it was only a matter of time before Mario (and few others) would jump onto the same cinematic bandwagon.
Two things needed to happen:

a) Ninty failing miserably last year
b) Ninty trying to branch out in order to set company on the skyward path again

This is one of many steps in the future.

This would have been excellent news back in the 80's.

DoubleD wrote:This would have been excellent news back in the 80's.
Not really? Mario is always popular. What was the last Mario game in your house, tried Galaxy or Mario World 3D?

Live action is a big no-go area of course but animation... I see it as the Peanuts style movie.

Sony Pictures and Nintendo appear to have closed a deal for the animated feature film rights to the Super Mario Bros. video game franchise, according to a series of emails discovered in the massive trove of hacked Sony files recently leaked to the media.
Pascal does at one point suggest Genndy Tartakovsky, who directed the 2012 Sony Pictures Animation feature Hotel Transylvania and created the Cartoon Network series Dexter’s Laboratory, Samurai Jack, and Star Wars: Clone Wars. “ts soooo perfect for him,” Pascal wrote.

(A rep for Tartakovsky tells BuzzFeed News, however, that the filmmaker “is not involved.”)