The Last of Us - It can't be for nothing (Part II announced)

A place to discuss music and video games.
The animation/ graphics are absolutely insane.

I wonder how close they're going to be able to get in the actual game.

prince0gotham wrote:why carry a gun if he dead
True. One of the reasons I think it's a dumb idea. How old is she anyway? I'd say barely legal. That would put Joel around 50.

darthnazgul wrote:
Ellie and Joel's story was finished, and incredibly deliberately. Listening to Neil Druckmann talk about the ending to the first game makes it feel even more like a nail in the coffin, and a sequel that continues their arcs takes away the point of the ending.

It'd be like if we got Inception 2: Cobb's Return. It ruins the impact and intentions of the initial release in favour of marketability.
"I know I don't know almost anything about the narrative decisions or context or handling of what I'm talking about, but I've decided and I don't like it"

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:"I know I don't know almost anything about the narrative decisions or context or handling of what I'm talking about, but I've decided and I don't like it"

-Vader
You'd be surprised how many people are taking the exact same stance right now.

The Last of Us has a definitive ending and doesn't need a sequel (like most great pieces of art). But, that doesn't mean a sequel is unwarranted. I still think there's plenty of avenues to explore with Ellie and Joel.

Michaelf2225 wrote:The Last of Us has a definitive ending and doesn't need a sequel (like most great pieces of art). But, that doesn't mean a sequel is unwarranted. I still think there's plenty of avenues to explore with Ellie and Joel.
Agreed. If 'Part II' is indicative of its quality, then let this be The Godfather: Part II.

think about

every MGS game

Michaelf2225 wrote:The Last of Us has a definitive ending and doesn't need a sequel (like most great pieces of art). But, that doesn't mean a sequel is unwarranted. I still think there's plenty of avenues to explore with Ellie and Joel.
I resent the "need" there, although I agree with your overall sentiment for sure.

What matters, I think, is whether or not artists have a story to tell and something to say. Perhaps that's in an original narrative, perhaps it's in a franchised story. No story "needs" a sequel in the same sense no story "needs" to exist in the first place. Either the artist has a thing to say or they don't. The difference is when sequels are born out of corporate decisions and not the creatives. But in the cases that the artists are leading the show, you don't really get to decide whether or not xyz artist has somthing to say or not. You can not like what they have to say, you can criticize it, but saying they don't "need" to express their art because you like a thing just the way it is shows an oddly entitled view on art and artists as a whole. I just got into a debate about this the other day. The instant we start making art more about the consumer and less about the artist (which is obviously already happening in a big way in the McDonaldsization of popular art ala Marvel) is the moment we're really in trouble as a culture if you value the societal importance of art as a serious thing.

As for the 'definitive ending' thing. I mean, the majority of narratives that have even excellent sequels have "definitive" endings. What does "definitive" even mean in this context? For me, it means the ending completed the narrative requirements (arc, rising/falling action, all that good stuff) introduced in the beginning. But why can't a sequel introduce it's own new narrative junk to explore? Make a list of some of the best sequels of all time. Godfather, Sanjuro, Evil Dead II, Empire obviously, Aliens, Terminator, etc, etc, etc. Prince's example of MGS is perfect too. That's how they all operate. The only reason you 'accept' those as "needed" is because they turned out to be good. But even a lot of the bad sequels came from as equally a sincere place. I dunno. Point is, protect the artist and let them tell their stories regardless of how you feel about it.

-Vader

Exactly. And it's Naughty Dog, one of the worst comments I've seen is 'money talks'. Yeah, because even Naughty Dog employers have families and need to put food on their tables. But their resume speaks volumes. A company can demand both quality and profit, otherwise we'd live in a world of total mediocrity.

dfw had a cool quote that i can't find about endings being awkward, imposed things since characters/life continue to exist beyond the end of the story