The Last of Us - It can't be for nothing (Part II announced)

A place to discuss music and video games.
PowerDump wrote:
m4st4 wrote:RIFA, have you played it? I'm not going to use the ''play it or shut up'' argument because it's useless until you actually take the control of these two characters and PLAY THE GAME, You Tube does not count (I've done it prior to my playthrough and it was nothing like the experience I had afterwards).

GTAV is a huge step forward for sandbox games, TLOU is right there among the best linear story based experiences. Seriously, I though Uncharted was great, but after TLOU, Uncharted 3 felt... lacking.

And yes, I who rarely adore more than one game per year think that Bioshock Infinite, GTAV and TLOU are all at the very top. It's been a phenomenal year, what's wrong with that.
Yes on all points. Didn't RIFA say the game didn't interest him?
But that's the point, RIFA doesn't own PS3 and probably watched a lot of videos and reviews. After a while, TLOU looks like a typical 3rd person shooter/sneaker with emotional storyline. Which is not the case... I thought it will be after my YouTube watch but playing it and experiencing every click of the journey, it's everything *but* typical. And you can't just talk about the emotional core, cause you also have a phenomenal level design, variety of enemies and tactics, chilling atmosphere that levels with the likes of Silent Hill 2 and Siren, unforgettable set pieces (won't spoil the major ones but the entirety of WINTER, pretty much), melancholic and eerily brilliant soundtrack, etc. etc.

Again, it's easy to dismiss it if you don't play it all by yourself for like three days in a row and learn to appreciate the finese.

Watching RIFA jump to conclusions is always entertaining, so I'm not surprised.

I didn't think TLOU was amazing when I watched YT vids of the gameplay, but actually playing it felt so different and so rewarding.

I don't jump to conclusions. Giving an opinion is not really jumping to conclusions. I strongly believe that TLOU is a great game but overrated because the gamers themselves are a weird crowd anyway and contradict themselves way too many times to even bother with arguments at one point. Hence why I said that naming each impressive game GOTY looks a bit silly. There's nothing wrong in thinking there are many great games coming out. But there is something silly in naming each great game of the year GAME OF THE YEAR and immediately switch from one game to the other giving the impression that everything else lacks in comparison. It just makes that person look silly and just hopping trends. GOTY in gaming is the new MASTERPIECE in cinema, and the new CLASSIC in music industry. They are words thrown around way too easy today.

I understand the difference between watching a walkthrough (even if detailed) and playing the game. I'm always the guy that likes to play something before judging it. Hence why I just said that I believe TLOU is way overpraised for the mentioned reasons. There's nothing wrong with that. All this defense actually proves my point a bit even though it comes out off overlooking my point and jumping to conclusions way too soon (like Cilogy just did).

TLOU's greatness comes from it's storytelling, it's characters, and it's interaction. Pretty much everyone agrees on this one. However, all I'm saying is... that doesn't alone necessarily makes something GOTY or better than something else or something different. Games are so subjective so trying to pin-point TLOU as the Godfather of gaming looks a bit silly.

RIFA wrote:I don't jump to conclusions. Giving an opinion is not really jumping to conclusions. I strongly believe that TLOU is a great game but overrated because the gamers themselves are a weird crowd anyway and contradict themselves way too many times to even bother with arguments at one point. Hence why I said that naming each impressive game GOTY looks a bit silly. There's nothing wrong in thinking there are many great games coming out. But there is something silly in naming each great game of the year GAME OF THE YEAR and immediately switch from one game to the other giving the impression that everything else lacks in comparison. It just makes that person look silly and just hopping trends. GOTY in gaming is the new MASTERPIECE in cinema, and the new CLASSIC in music industry. They are words thrown around way too easy today.

I understand the difference between watching a walkthrough (even if detailed) and playing the game. I'm always the guy that likes to play something before judging it. Hence why I just said that I believe TLOU is way overpraised for the mentioned reasons. There's nothing wrong with that. All this defense actually proves my point a bit even though it comes out off overlooking my point and jumping to conclusions way too soon (like Cilogy just did).

TLOU's greatness comes from it's storytelling, it's characters, and it's interaction. Pretty much everyone agrees on this one. However, all I'm saying is... that doesn't alone necessarily makes something GOTY or better than something else or something different. Games are so subjective so trying to pin-point TLOU as the Godfather of gaming looks a bit silly.
Then play the game.

And when I read replies like this one I just tell myself that I should just go back to visiting the forums and stop posting. That's why I basically stopped for a while. I thought the air changed but it's whatever.

I'm just delusional and jumping too conclusions. Sorry for interrupting this thread with my nonsense. Get it back on track.

RIFA wrote:And when I read replies like this one I just tell myself that I should just go back to visiting the forums and stop posting. That's why I basically stopped for a while. I thought the air changed but it's whatever.

I'm just delusional and jumping too conclusions. Sorry for interrupting this thread with my nonsense. Get it back on track.
My point is it's easy to judge a game by watching someone else play it. Playing it yourself is a different experience, because you feel the controls in your hands and your subtle decisions and thoughts are reflected in how you play. I agree it is a bit overrated even though I love this game, it's not revolutionary, it's simply a complete package with very few flaws. However, saying it's overrated without actually experiencing the way it's meant to be experienced is not fair to the folks who made it. You're essentially cheating yourself, which is why I said it's like jumping to a conclusion about the game.

It's the equivalent of someone else telling you how a movie is and judging it based solely on that person's reaction without seeing the film yourself.

I'm not sure you ever listened to me, like truly listened*.

You have your stance and that's it, rock solid. Sometimes I forget about it and start talking my way through it (in this case I actually played the game and it sounds to me like you underestimate my taste in games by putting me in some pre-formed basket of yours).

Sorry, won't happen again.

*Example, my post:
And you can't just talk about the emotional core, cause you also have a phenomenal level design, variety of enemies and tactics, chilling atmosphere that levels with the likes of Silent Hill 2 and Siren, unforgettable set pieces (won't spoil the major ones but the entirety of WINTER, pretty much), melancholic and eerily brilliant soundtrack, etc. etc.
Your post:
TLOU's greatness comes from it's storytelling, it's characters, and it's interaction.
Basically, all I've said you discarded. And no one mentioned TLOU being The Godfather of videogames, everyone's been talking about GOTY, as in 2013. - or as I would say ''one of the best 3rd person action/horror shooters this year, or in general''.

Wait, people actually watch other people play through an entire game, how could anyone judge anything other than the cutscenes :lol: ? I could watch someone play Ride to Hell: Retribution and figure it is terrible but do you think I would get the full effect of how terrible it is without actually playing the awful controls?

Why would people watch an entire playthrough anyways :lol: ?

PowerDump wrote: Why would people watch an entire playthrough anyways :lol: ?
Playthroughs, and especially Let's Plays, can actually be pretty popular. They can be fun, and are often a good way to gauge a game, though not accurately judge it. Can also be useful as a guide if you're stuck.

darthnazgul wrote:
PowerDump wrote: Why would people watch an entire playthrough anyways :lol: ?
Playthroughs, and especially Let's Plays, can actually be pretty popular. They can be fun, and are often a good way to gauge a game, though not accurately judge it. Can also be useful as a guide if you're stuck.
I can picture watching segments to figure something out to get through but to watch someone I don't even know play through hours and hours and hours of game seems a bit much.