The Last of Us - It can't be for nothing (Part II announced)

A place to discuss music and video games.
Who do you guys like more Kojima or Druckmann? Just curious.

Allstar wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 7:54 pm
honestly, before part 2, kojima. after part 2, druckmann. i’m sure this will be a controversial take, but i love how i can be enamored by druckmann’s writing like a movie. with kojima - as much as i love him - i have to prepare myself for bad dialogue and the baggage that comes with his work

i think death stranding is also a 10/10 for what it’s worth

Allstar wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 7:54 pm
Impossible for me, both are great and different. And capable of becoming a name on their own in a relatively new medium. However this is still first and foremost a Naughty Dog game, then Neil Druckmann directed game. And Halley Gross was equally important as a co-writer. Kojima has that brand aura, KojiPro comes after.

I'm curious what Cory Barlog (God of War) will do next. Presumably new IP.

@Shakespeare, even more voice of reason is always welcome.

And before everyone starts remembering what they liked about the game, how about the negatives?

Off the top of my mind, I didn't like when NPC companions kept suggesting to go the opposite direction of me exploring these vast mazey areas.

I've missed several exploration areas due to entering a cutscene that prevented me to go back.

Pacing, perhaps, in some places? Although a lot of that is connected to the whole process of getting to know the characters and getting them under your skin, which takes time. Hours of spending time with them, nothing else. It's not a bingeable game (although it is sweet to stealth/speedrun Hillcrest, as I did yesterday).

Couple of times the triangle prompt didn't show at first so it's easy to miss some cards and artifacts on the first playthrough even if you're furiously checking every corner (you're probably not, the game is huge).

Character spoiler:
Look, my mom was a pregnant Terminator, but Mel climbing like Nate? Still processing that shit. :lol: Not sure that was necessary.
That's probably it, for now. I was whining about weapon variety but then the game doubles down on the number, and variety. That's good.

There are some graphical glitches, nothing game breaking happened though, just some textures occassionally flickering. And I felt dirty just noticing them and thinking 'oh, these do exist here', cause everything looks unreal in HDR. Ray traced, 60FPS, 4K PS5 edition should look even grander. Not to mention the multiplayer edition.

Bacon wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 4:16 pm
Ruth wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 6:56 am
i honestly don’t get how people can write these long ass paragraphs without having played a game

people like that are absolutely part of this toxicity they claim to be calling out

like i’m not even playing this but i’m emotionally invested in this drama for some reason
The "long ass paragraphs" post I made literally explains why I feel the way I do and am waiting to play the game? I'm responding with long paragraphs because the mob mentality here is literally embarrassing to see to a point its discomforting to see on here.

I'm not reducing anyone's opinions here to a single sentence, reduced to laughing emoji's, or telling someone who loves the game to shut up in large text. "People like Bacon"? Fuck off. I haven't seen minutes of this game, dude. I didn't make my mind up, I want to play this thing, but it's hard to want to do so when every worry I have is attacked or insulted as "entitlement" or responded with hurtful comments by fans/creators. The thing I've seen in droves is the wave of blowback to the original backlash. Creators relegating confused and upset fans to manbabies because the fans think the story is underwhelming. Imagine loving something so much you become an asshole to try and defend it against those who have issues with it. Sounds like a form of "entitlement to me."

When I play this later on, I'll probably just DM Brendan/prince about it bc if this thread is anything to go by, there's a select grouping in here I never want to talk about this franchise with. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise then that some of them don't actually read my posts anyway.

Continue you guys' circle-jerk and continue to make people who are hesitant or unable to play the game feel like shit without ever actually encouraging them to do so.
Perhaps I should have chosen my words differently.

I didn't mean to be derisive. I was hoping to foster discussion but I can see why I may have detracted from it. Sorry.

I hope you play the game and get the same kind of value from it that I did.

As for negatives, m4:
I agree that pacing can sometimes lag during either the beginning of Abby’s story where basically after massive investment in Ellie and Joel for 1.5 games we suddenly switch and need to spend time fostering a new relationship with someone with immense baggage, OR during the moments when the narrative toward the end of Abby and Ellie’s arcs becomes so interesting and compelling that the last few bigger combat encounters start to feel like a barricade toward story progress with not enough fresh variety in the encounter to justify it. I think they could have cut maybe three or four encounters and used a cutscene or fade to black instead to push them spatially to where they needed to be for the next story hit.

Also, regarding story, I was wanting more from the Jesse scene shown during one of the trailers where he says, “I hope you make it...” It felt a little dramatically limp to me, like “yeah sure whatever Jesse, bye!!” instead of one more turning point in Ellie’s lust for vengeance. It honestly played more dramatically in the trailer, if that makes. Also, and this one I’m less upset about because I think there’s an argument for minimalism and shying away from melodrama, I kind of wish Ellie exploded more at Joel after he punches Seth during the dance. It felt like the perfect moment for her to let loose with her built up anger toward how Joel has taken the agency and meaning from her life by trying to control her choices and destiny. It was still a good scene, but I really built it up from the very beginning when I realized it was the E3 trailer scene and there was going to be some blow-up with Joel at the end. Almost seemed like we got the information from the scene by filling in the gaps ourselves with what Ellie and Dina alluded to about it during the morning after.

Oh, lastly, I felt like Owen ended up being pretty compelling, but his character design and portrayal in the earliest Abby flashbacks for some reason kept him a bit at arms length to me. He didn’t really feel like a Last of Us/Naughty Dog character where you’re instantly interested in them just by looking at them and how they interact with the world. Although maybe some of that was intentional, given he’s supposed to be a character that breaks the mold of this ruthless, kill-or-be-killed world. Just felt like he could have had a more endearing introduction for someone who is essentially a truly kind and black sheep character.
Also, I’m gonna do New Game+ on Survivor in the coming days, and I think that’ll really highlight what the weaker moments of the game specifically are. For example, my replay of the first game a few months ago showed me how Pittsburgh was the weakest part of that one, in my opinion. Although, as I think about, I think some things will even play stronger when you know who these people are and what they’ve gone through and will go through as you play non-linearly. I think some scenes will even have new meaning and power. I’m thinking about moments like
Ellie saying her and Joel are going to watch a cheesy action movie later that night, knowing not only that they’ll never get that chance, but ALSO because it was meant to be their first meaningful interaction on the road to forgiveness since the porch scene. Really wonder stuff; I can’t wait!
Final unrelated thought: it’s interesting, isn’t it, how before this game, most of Naughty Dogs detractors on 4chan and the like were critical that their games were weak on gameplay and essentially movie-games that you could merely watch on YouTube, and weren’t truly pushing the medium. And now that Naughty Dog has gone and made a game with great core gameplay and a story that literally has to be played, it’s reviled most by that same community. Anyway, I was sympathetic to some of those criticisms beforehand (even though I love Uncharted 2 and Last of Us Part 1, and like Uncharted 4, and generally like Naughty Dog), but this is truly their crowning achievement in addressing those issues while staying true to their brand. It’s almost like there’s an X factor with that particular section of people who still don’t like the game despite it fixing their main problems... Hmm, I wonder what it could be... (and no, Bacon, I’m not talking about people like you who are merely just skeptical from the leaks)

Cilogy wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 1:43 am
Perhaps I should have chosen my words differently.

I didn't mean to be derisive. I was hoping to foster discussion but I can see why I may have detracted from it. Sorry.

I hope you play the game and get the same kind of value from it that I did.
Your comments honestly didn't bother me. I knew your intention was genuine, but I was trying to point out how there are generalizations and assumptions being made from every angle (fans of the game vs. fans of the series who haven't played), many of which border on being disrespectful. Some of the phrasing you used was just a clearer example of what I was talking about, so I tried to point out the issues with it.

No hard feelings there at all fr.

i know we've all spent like a decade on a forum dedicated to speculating on the quality of upcoming projects, but, if you get excited about something you should absolutely positively 100% not value anything said about it in your mind or heart or soul or neurons because you are you and you know what appeals to you and no one else has your unique tastes or experiences or is you

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 10:07 am
i know we've all spent like a decade on a forum dedicated to speculating on the quality of upcoming projects, but, if you get excited about something you should absolutely positively 100% not value anything said about it in your mind or heart or soul or neurons because you are you and you know what appeals to you and no one else has your unique tastes or experiences or is you
Some may indeed go full Ghandi, some are constantly tested.

There's more but I didn't want to post some of the responses.

I'd rather post more Much gifs, similar level of skill to Sunhi:

Bacon, you were exactly like this before seeing The Last Jedi, and you ended up disliking it. Maybe consider not doing this to yourself.

Master Virgo wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 3:18 pm
Bacon, you were exactly like this before seeing The Last Jedi, and you ended up disliking it. Maybe consider not doing this to yourself.
I was not like this at all before seeing The Last Jedi...? Even the people that disagreed with me about TLJ the most know that. I had full faith in Rian and defended Disney's choosing him to direct VIII, which is why I was so blindsided and upset when I didn't vibe with it. I literally went off the grid of the Internet for like 3 days to avoid being spoiled. If anything, my excitement for the project prior to sitting in the theater is what made me react so strongly. :blank:

My initial discussions in that thread about my problems were me clearly trying to see why everyone loved it so much (go back and read it). That eventually turned into me barely speaking about the film, only chiming in here and there, because the discourse got so toxic about it all (people who hated it were being horrible to the creators and people who loved it were hating on the people who hated it). That's the only thing similar here. There are still things I love about TLJ, but the overall work as a whole is underwhelming and muddled to me. I'd of course take it any day over TROS.