The Last of Us - It can't be for nothing (Part II announced)

A place to discuss music and video games.
slevin_77 wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 2:41 pm
I mean I put on the data disc which downloaded those 26 gb, then I insert the main one and was already available to play it, I thought I had to install the whole rest. From what I seen in some websites it's the normal thing to happen, but I don't know where the rest of the fucking game is installing.
Oh it's a disc version, hm dunno then. Hopefully it works with just that and a patch, and you need to just put on the disc to play. Maybe it will install the rest as you play, I think that may be it.

Nooo... fuck, I forgot. I believe you'll see the installation of the rest when you put on the disc and get in the menu, that's it.

m4st4 wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 3:03 pm
slevin_77 wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 2:41 pm
I mean I put on the data disc which downloaded those 26 gb, then I insert the main one and was already available to play it, I thought I had to install the whole rest. From what I seen in some websites it's the normal thing to happen, but I don't know where the rest of the fucking game is installing.
Oh it's a disc version, hm dunno then. Hopefully it works with just that and a patch, and you need to just put on the disc to play. Maybe it will install the rest as you play, I think that may be it.

Nooo... fuck, I forgot. I believe you'll see the installation of the rest when you put on the disc and get in the menu, that's it.
No it actually started the "Story" and all, so I think your first paragraph must be the right one. Maybe it just isn't like digital where you have to download the 76 gb. Who knows.

Switched back fo Hard+ on NG+. Fuck it, need that tension, otherwise feels like cheating the intention of the game to me. Will save Survivor/eventual Grounded for ray traced PS5 version. Going for that sweet Platinum now.

Far enough into the game now that I'm nearly convinced I'm playing a different game from Reddit.

It's still great.

i don't think reddit has played it

loving reading your guys thoughts so far - i'm trying to write something up and put my overall opinion together. spoiler: it's probably the greatest video game i've ever played

prince, i was a brick man in the first game because of the 3 hit insta kill against clickers. i don't think that can be done in this game, so i've switched to bottles because they're louder

SO I got to the very end of Day 6 and...
I haven't entered the theater yet (saving the rest of the game for tomorrow), but holy fuck everything on the Seraphite base was crazy unbelievably amazing. The scale! The chaos! Just amazing. I have a nitpick of nitpicks, but I do wish the "boss battle" at the end was someone previously set up instead of a rando, but even so this was all mind-blowingly great. And Yara :cry:

I now care so deeply for Abby / Lev, etc, and the all the weight of cognitive dissonance that Druckmann wants me to be feeling is, in fact, felt and then some.

PS, also loved the Tommy sniper battle.... he (as with Ellie) just seem like slasher super-villains, especially in how fighting Tommy in the restaurant totally parallels David's boss battle with Ellie in TLOU.
Honestly, this is a god damn masterpiece. I'm blown the fuck away. Here's hoping they land the rest of the game.

-Vader

I literally cannot wait for you to finish it. 🙏

As for the brick vs bottle, I'm a brick guy, since bottle feels like a every game thing, whereas brick was always associated to this game.

But no matter what you throw at enemies, that rush of running up to a final one on the field after stunning him, axe in hand... Call me a psycho, but I love it every time. Slice and dice baby. :D

This game is on a whole another level. There is so much I want to mention, so many details, the story, gameplay, characters, score....and Im only in Hillcrest after the first dog encounter! From what Im reading here it only gets better and better from there. Cannot wait to see more, but also want to savor it so my first experience is longer :)

Anyway, I want to mention the score by Gustavo Santaolalla and Mac Quayle. Been listening to it since last Friday and cant get enough of it. Only halfway through and its brilliant. Im glad they brought in another composer to do the more intense and action pieces, my heart is racing listening to those! Excellent job :clap: :clap: :clap:

Collector03601 wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 3:49 am
Anyway, I want to mention the score by Gustavo Santaolalla and Mac Quayle. Been listening to it since last Friday and cant get enough of it. Only halfway through and its brilliant. Im glad they brought in another composer to do the more intense and action pieces, my heart is racing listening to those! Excellent job :clap: :clap: :clap:
Since you mentioned the soundtrack (which I'm starting to appreciate and notice even more on Hard+), here's a mini concert that happened recently:

And here's my TOP 10 characters list from Part II, click only after you've finished the game. The reason why I made it a Top 10 and not just Top 5 or 3 is because there are so many wonderfully written characters that you only get to understand as you play more of the game.
1) Ellie - nobody comes even close for me, the one and only Ellie
2) Abby - the fact that she gets to have one spot above Papa Joel says it all, at first I wasn't fully on board, but Laura Bailey and the narrative slowly pull you in; also has some of the best encounters in the entire game (Rat King I hate you)
3) Joel - not just his overall badass cowboy daddy look - that hairline! but also the maturity and tenderness of Baker's performance
4) Lev - this kid is just the best and needs to be protected at all cost, smart and capable
5) Jesse - Jesse is The Man, still can't believe he's gone, that one hurt, a lot
6) Tommy/Maria - cheated a bit here but I see them as equally badass since the first game, especially Maria who leads an entire community; Tommy is a sniper terminator
7) Yara - can't mention Lev without her lovely and caring sister Yara, really helped in building Abby's character as well
8) Owen - contemplated placing him higher actually, but there's not Top 10 characters of Part II without Owen really; essential to Abby's growth and just overall nice, good guy
9) Dina - almost dropped out of top 10 honestly in favor of Nora! Might be shocker for some, and I don't consider Dina to be a bad or badly written character, just wasn't as much of a fan really. She's there, she's unintrusive, she's good for Ellie, that's about it.
10) Marlene - surprising top 10 entry, I really liked Marlene in the first game and always held her side, even when Joel kills her for wanting to hurt his baby girl, and Part II not only shows her in beautiful current gen rendering, but also confirms the fact that the choice was not as easy for her, as it was for Abby's father - thank you Marlene, miss you still

*honorable mentions: Nora (she was alright, I really liked her and wish she had more to do), Manny - the one who spits on Papa Joel after that scene, yes, but Manny becomes instantly loveable once you get to know him; deserved a bullet from Tommy though - sorry amigo, Isaac - Jeffrey Wright chewing an apple, that is all
I'll probably make Top 10 set pieces and locations as well, later on.

Thats beautiful. Thanks for posting, its nice to enjoy those warm guitar cues while working :D