The Last of Us - It can't be for nothing (Part II announced)

A place to discuss music and video games.
I will share one minor criticism, which is that while TLOUII is one of the best looking games of all time and probably the most advanced in terms of graphics on PS4 (or this gen in general?), I do miss the different environments of TLOU.

TLOUII is too well made, well framed, well lit, and well presented to be called same-y (make no mistake, this is a sublime work of art that makes me gasp just on a visual level). ...But I am on Day 3, and the lack of visual variety is something I think could've been a tad improved one way or another.

PS, Day 2 is fucking intense and has some of the best moments and set pieces of either game (so far).

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 12:56 am
I will share one minor criticism, which is that while TLOUII is one of the best looking games of all time and probably the most advanced in terms of graphics on PS4 (or this gen in general?), I do miss the different environments of TLOU.

TLOUII is too well made, well framed, well lit, and well presented to be called same-y (make no mistake, this is a sublime work of art that makes me gasp just on a visual level). ...But I am on Day 3, and the lack of visual variety is something I think could've been a tad improved one way or another.

PS, Day 2 is fucking intense and has some of the best moments and set pieces of either game (so far).

-Vader
Yeah, agreed, it's Seattle, 25 years after the outbreak, that's it.The visual identity is sort of set in stone here, whereas in the original you had a trek across the country.

Funny you just mentioned it, Day 2 after the absolute silent hill-like insanity that occured (my fingers are still twitching from gripping the controller too tight) and I just hit pause after staring at a particularly strong river stream thinking damn, it was all worth it for this scenery! :lol: So yeah, agreed on the variety commentary, the solace is then definitely in beautiful details like this.

My favorite thing to do in apocalypse? Stand at the top of a car to check out the surroundings. First thing I would do in a real one, god forbid it ever happens.

My criticism so far would be - I suppose even Naughty Dog isn't immune to bugs and glitches when they hit a game time like this? I've noticed several glitches so far. Nothing game breaking thank god, but they exist.

Otherwiiiise... Hell, I don't know. Guess I need a whole narrative to say. I'm loving the gameplay loop and especially the organic nature of exploration. Nothing more satisfying than figuring out that tiny rope puzzle to get a bonus chunk of story, worldbuilding and craft materials. It's more Uncharted than Uncharted, at times.

Right before Day 3.
...Color red.

...Square.

...The tape.

...The feels.

🥺🥺🥺

More classics played:

Some dev perspective:

I am now at a point in the game that reminded me of my childhood reading days. I was an avid reader who pretty much devoured all of the children's literature books and made a quick way onto adult section (Harris, King, Zelazny). The greatest gift my parents gave me was freedom of choice. I felt it the most when the librarian lady called my mother to tell her I mustn't read King at twelve (to which my mother replied she should mind her own business, naturally). Those early reading days were probably one of the main reasons why I was always attracted to darker themes, especially later, watching movies and appreciating Se7en and Silence of the Lambs and Halloween. What I somewhat lost over years, right around the time I also lost my favorite imaginary friend as well - Mr. Potter, was that sense of genuine wide eyed discovery, of turning page after page and finishing the latest lengthy piece in just two-three nights near the fireplace. As a high school teacher, my job is to read, to talk about the classics. You can imagine I don't always come back home to read some more. Nowadays, I find my piece and engage my brain mostly in other activities: watching movies, or tv series. Reading comic books, as a solid bridge between the moving picture and a written form. I also, as you know, play videogames. A lot of them. I played most PS exclusives this generation and probably tried a fair chunk of what PS Store has to offer.

Now, to finally make a point. The Last of Us: Part II checks all of the boxes for me. It's dark, it's engaging, it ignites mood swings inside me that I never expected. Reminds me of the best within the medium: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Silent Hill series, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne... It also constantly creates a dialogue with the first game that does not detract from what made the first game so good, but it also adds layers upon layers - and with narrative ferocity, that make you think - and re-think, what all of it means, not just for every character involved, but also you as a player.

It transports me back into my childhood, literally climbing up the stairs, into those darker sections of the library, picking up book after book, wondering what's inside, and later on completely engaging myself in the material. When the story is this good, I truly believe art can transcend our own reality, suck you in without realizing. Make you question not just the characters' choices, but your own as well, however far removed they might seem at first.

I rambled too much. I have so much more to say but need to finish the game. It's a huge one, so it might take me two or three days more than I expected.

Do not like
playing as Abby.

Buddy, you should mark what spoiler that is from where in the game.

I finished Day 3. It is fucking amazing. Now onto a bit into the day after:
Two quick points. One is that I adore how Ellie willingly gave up hunting for Abby to go home. It is a perfect end to her arc so far. The only resolution more hollow and anti-climactic than getting your revenge is not being able to get it. It's possibly the hardest possible choice for Ellie.

Two is that while I'm still very engaged with the game, I'm in the "wait and see" camp to see how playing as Abby, presumably for the last half of the entire game, pays off. Look, I get what they're doing with Abby. They are intentionally want us to feel conflicted, right? And this is a great idea. I'm not uninvolved, but on top of the hurdle of trying to empathize with someone you're programmed to hate, she's a fairly unlikable, if noble, character. I empathize with and understand her, but she's a brutish militaristic badass, IE not a warm person. ND is intentionally challenging (provoking?) your sense of empathy on multiple fronts here. It's a lot.

As someone who's been glowing with praise, just being honest about where I'm at right now. And to be brutally honest, it's going to be tough for me to think it's "worth it" to play as someone other than Ellie for half the whole game, especially someone like Abby. BUT... I trust ND. I am entirely in their hands. Again, I'm still very engaged overall and I imagine after playing more (I'm still very early in her Day) I'll come around.

One last thing: I think the game's structure might've worked a lot better if we take turns playing as Ellie and Abby throughout...instead of all Ellie then all Abby. Maybe it is better to stay so long in each perspective. We'll see how I feel by the end of the game.

-Vader

Oh, I'm exactly where you are with the train of thoughts there Vader. Same feelings.
At the same time I don't know what to expect besides that obvious conflict within us that has to happen so we'll see. Going Ellie then Abby for the 2nd half was quite a choice huh. I also expected interconnectivity. This challenges me. One thing I really like here? All the side characters are now magically... Great characters? That Druckmann lookalike is hilarious. And Jeffrey Fucking Wright is Isaac.
Let's see where this goes. :D

Oh, hey.

You remember that time... When you played MGSV... And said to yourself, man, Chapter 3 is going to be the best!

Well... some games actually get to do it all the way through, no compromises. Last time it was Death Stranding, now this.

I'm guessing there's still a good chunk left to my already 22 hour playthrough.

Vader... Post Seattle Day 3 spoiler that we were talking about:
The structure finds its grace in mirroring the Day 1-2-3 chapters, I believe. Just talking about the welcome symmetry here, need to see it all the way to judge the narrative itself.
Some of my favorite (new) characters after Day 3:
Manny, Yara and Lev. Even Owen is getting better.

post seattle day 3 (no real spoilers aside from the "big one" you guys are discussing just contributing the over arching narrative talk and brief mention of the game's inciting incident)
the decision to have you play as abby was very tough for the first day or so for me. but after shit starts going down - especially near the end - i completely understand why ND did what they've done, and i think it's brilliant. i did not expect to cry playing as joel's killer - like vader said it's an exercise in empathy.

i also don't think it would've worked if we switched back and forth between abby and ellie. our connection with abby relies, i think, on spending a lot of time with her just like we would with ellie. my one criticism, and this isn't really about the story - a few of the combat encounters with her have gone on too long and feel a bit like filler. there's also one combat encounter with a certain infected that was absolutely bonkers.