The Last of Us - It can't be for nothing (Part II announced)

A place to discuss music and video games.
Forum Pro
Yeah I remember it in RDR2. And, to an extent, Uncharted 4, but not like this.

This game made me tear up three-four times already. Last session, I got really emotional over something unexpected.
𝑰 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒐𝒕 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍 𝒅𝒆𝒔𝒆𝒓𝒕. 𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒅𝒊𝒅𝒏'𝒕 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒐𝒕 𝑱𝒂𝒘𝒔 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒘𝒊𝒎𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒑𝒐𝒐𝒍.
- 𝑫𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒔 𝑽𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒖𝒗𝒆

Forum Pro
Hillcrest, suburbian level that was shown in previews, is probably the best level design Naughty Dog made so far. I'm only halfway through it and already had so many memorable encounters with all types of enemies that I feel were actually my own.

Actually playing it vs watching a predefined route in the previews is uncomparable.

You are a sole creator of how things will go and I can tell you exactly how some of my enemies fell and where because it sticks with you. WLF soldier pointing at Amy's dead body in shock, his eyes widened (got her name then and there), german shepard tripping the mine I set or the filmic sound of 'click-click' as I realize my revolver is empty, Ellie on her back. It's dynamic and unique and exhilirating. I'd say like a mixture of MGSV's sandbox and RDR2's realism? Except the controls are responsive and tight with no input lag (looking at you, Rockstar, it's possible to do both).

I don't know man. Had to take a break just to think about it all, lol.
𝑰 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒐𝒕 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍 𝒅𝒆𝒔𝒆𝒓𝒕. 𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒅𝒊𝒅𝒏'𝒕 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒐𝒕 𝑱𝒂𝒘𝒔 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒘𝒊𝒎𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒑𝒐𝒐𝒍.
- 𝑫𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒔 𝑽𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒖𝒗𝒆

m4st4 wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 1:08 pm
Hillcrest, suburbian level that was shown in previews, is probably the best level design Naughty Dog made so far. I'm only halfway through it and already had so many memorable encounters with all types of enemies that I feel were actually my own.

Actually playing it vs watching a predefined route in the previews is uncomparable.

You are a sole creator of how things will go and I can tell you exactly how some of my enemies fell and where because it sticks with you. WLF soldier pointing at Amy's dead body in shock, his eyes widened (got her name then and there), german shepard tripping the mine I set or the filmic sound of 'click-click' as I realize my revolver is empty, Ellie on her back. It's dynamic and unique and exhilirating. I'd say like a mixture of MGSV's sandbox and RDR2's realism? Except the controls are responsive and tight with no input lag (looking at you, Rockstar, it's possible to do both).

I don't know man. Had to take a break just to think about it all, lol.
Hillcrest is amazing. Not only the incredible level design or visuals (how beautifully mysterious/ominous is seeing mountains of forest engulfed in mist and cloud everywhere you look), but the level difficulty spiked. For the first chapter/day, I died quite rarely.

The gameplay gave me a pit in my stomach due to its visceral intensity but not quite its difficulty. ....but once the dogs are introduced? Fuck. My partner got so upset watching me get stuck and killing/get killed in these brutal envionrment with the dogs and the everything she had to wind down in the bedroom. She's never had that experience from a game before. The camera lingering on an enemy's eyes as they go wide before dying, or character X shouting character Y's name right before dying. TLOUII doesn't let you feel good about what you're doing.

-Vader

Forum Pro
Some of the best games make me want to stay in their world far longer than average. You're right about those misty mountains. Almost like Twin Peaks. Wait... Twin Peaks IS Washington State, right?? And it's not (just) about the graphics either, I do the same thing in Destiny 2's Tower or Animal Crossing: Now Horizon - I try to find the edge of the game world and just stare with my character at the distance, that unwritten code behind those mountains still manages to capture my imagination, if done right. Game that does something beyond what's in front of you and makes you feel the environment by engaging your senses is exceptionally well designed. The magic, so to speak, is between the written lines of code. Often, you can find memorable moments that would otherwise be left unnoticed during a playthrough, like that distant whale in Uncharted 4's Scotland chapter, if you wait long enough, or that one exceptionally big rat in Part II, or this plastic bag, just doing what plastic bags do best - floating in the wind:

One thing I noticed during my playthrough, is how unsanitized the combat set pieces are and how unwilling I find myself restarting the encounter, despite spending way too many shotguns shells and molotovs (difficulty spike and on Hard is Real in Hillcrest). I feel like Ellie's 'fucks' are also my own and her bloody hands and messy face is how it should be after these violent encounters. This is in no way Hitman - Perfect Headshot Only Playthrough. At least not during this first time. No, you stumble, smash glass, stab, shoot, jump and crawl through mud.
- 𝑫𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒔 𝑽𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒖𝒗𝒆

Forum Pro
im pretty far into this now and confident druckmann’s biggest mistake was thinking the majority of gamers are intelligent

i completely understand the divisive nature of what happens, and i also think it would not be getting review bombed like this if it didn’t get leaked and/or people weren’t bigots

about the actual game: that opening sequence is holy fucking shit i’ll echo vader’s thoughts that it’s probably the best thing i’ve ever experienced in a game

m4 the workbench had me jump out of my seat, basically

Michaelf2225 wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 7:30 pm
im pretty far into this now and confident druckmann’s biggest mistake was thinking the majority of gamers are intelligent

i completely understand the divisive nature of what happens, and i also think it would not be getting review bombed like this if it didn’t get leaked and/or people weren’t bigots
It would. Because it happened with The Last Jedi the same way. Has nothing to do with "intelligence." The creative decisions here are risky and either pay off or don't, and a large group of fans don't see it as being pulled off successfully.

have you played it yet, bacon?

Btw, the actual TLOU subreddit is mostly extremely positive responses. I am positive a subset of fans absolutely prejudiced themselves to hating this right out of the gate. I'm sure others would have hated it even if they went in blind.

A lot of the negative responses on reddit are from 2 day old accounts saying the ending of the game is terrible, even though it's nearly impossible for that many to have beaten it by now. Clearly, some of the negative responses are from people who haven't even played much of the game yet.

-Vader

Forum Pro
yeah that’s basically what i’m saying, Vader

like, NONE of the metacritic reviews - considering this takes 25 hours to beat - are real lol. okay, i’m sure a few are, but you know what i mean

and yeah, i HATE what i’ve played so far it’s upset me, made me cry, and also made me angry, but not because it’s bad - quite the opposite in fact. i know some people aren’t going to have the response i do, of course. i think the number of people acting in bad faith is much higher

Happy to say I successfully avoided spoilers/leaks and went into this blind.

Thoroughly enjoying it, potentially more than the first one. Not sure why nerds are mad.

Forum Pro
Let the critics talk.
Let the sales talk (this will easily break 20 mil.)
Let love overcome hate.
This game is something special and here I am, awake, thinking only how I need to continue Ellie's journey. It constantly has a dialogue with the first game and honors what happened there. If you like the very start (literally first minutes) , you'll like some of the sequences later on as well.

- 𝑫𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒔 𝑽𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒖𝒗𝒆