The Last of Us - It can't be for nothing (Part II announced)

A place to discuss music and video games.
bacon is like allstar trolling this game and i don’t know why lol

my one observation is they should have given her some 'come and see' style grey hair

Michaelf2225 wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 12:02 pm
I noticed as well, similar behavior. Doesn't engage in further discussions beyond a 'provocative' drop'n'leave.

Michaelf2225 wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 12:02 pm
Because I'm appalled at the decisions the game/studio is making. I see this as a Doctor Who/Last Jedi scenario. It's become a pretty apparent and aggravating situation to be in when several franchises you love fall victim to the mindset that fans complaining or unhappy with specific decisions are only unhappy/upset due to bigotry or sexism. It's a cop out way of avoiding criticism. My issue with the game's story, like many online - even if people try to make it seem like the only people who have issues are right-wing MAGA-hat wearers, is how it betrays and ignores the importance of the framework laid before.

And the majority of people telling angry fans to quiet down or calling them bigots are studio executives, or, in this scenario, people who haven't even read the leaks. They don't even know the real reasons why people are so mad. When I see 90's across the board with something like this, I immediately get incredibly suspicious the same way I am when press runs that the most recent season of Doctor Who is amazing because it "goes places no other Doctor Who season dared to go."

Gas-lighting angry or disappointed fans by saying they don't "get it" or that they're racist/misogynistic only increases the frustration already disappointed fans have. I hate that this is the next product to fall victim to this line of thinking and blind brand loyalty. The gameplay may be incredible, but the gameplay in the first game wasn't the incredible reason so many people fell in love with it. So I don't exactly find it encouraging when the 10/10 reviews I see focus on gameplay strengths and ignore "story issues" because embargo restricts people from talking about the actual problems of the game. It also doesn't help when minority in that group saying "exactly what I feared" happen to be the people I trust and follow.

Bacon, I say this with sincerity and love: the only person whose experience you're hurting by doing this is your own. Go in with your mind made up, and it'll have to work twice as hard to win you over. Keep an open mind and maybe the game will surprise you.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 3:14 pm
Bacon, I say this with sincerity and love: the only person whose experience you're hurting by doing this is your own. Go in with your mind made up, and it'll have to work twice as hard to win you over. Keep an open mind and maybe the game will surprise you.

-Vader
This. And works both ways. I'm honestly trying, against my will, to watch and read as little as I can because I don't want other opinions clouding my own sincere judgement. Bacon, you are, perhaps unknowingly but inevitably, already bound to go into this fully prepared to dislike it. Just relax and don't think about anyone else but yourself and your own emotional investment while playing it. And if you end up truly disliking it? Well alright, there's not a game on this world that is universally liked, just make sure it is 100% you talking.

As for your comment on gameplay vs embargoed story beats - sorry to say, but not a valid point. Seasoned reviewer who needs to talk heavy spoilers to convey a score doesn't know how to write a good review (see also: movies) and second, people had every right to score it lower than 10/10 to convey disappointment in the full package, they didn't. The frustration comes because we live in a spoiler country and everybody wants to talk spoilers instead of play the game and experience the medium as intended. June 19th baby. Or in immortal words of Schwarzenegger (to rewievers complaining about Spoiler embargo): stop whining. Or learn how to convey critical opinion without downright saying that Bruce Willis is a ghost. Dozens have already succeeded.

Also, you mention 'angry fans'... Who's 'angry'? Why are they angry? Do they feel entitled to these characters and think they know better than the creators? That's called entitlement. See also: Twin Peaks season 3.

m4st4 wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 3:35 pm
Well alright, there's not a game on this world that is universally liked, just make sure it is 100% you talking.
m4st4 wrote:
Also, you mention 'angry fans'... Who's 'angry'? Why are they angry? Do they feel entitled to these characters and think they know better than the creators? That's called entitlement. See also: Twin Peaks season 3.

:blank: :|

Bacon wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 3:56 pm
m4st4 wrote:
Well alright, there's not a game on this world that is universally liked, just make sure it is 100% you talking.
m4st4 wrote:

:blank: :|
Ah...truly, Allstar 2.0 :lol:

Won't suck more of my free time that's for sure. ;)

I'm not trolling. You don't see the irony in both of those statements being in the same post?
Last edited by Bacon on June 13th, 2020, 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bacon wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 4:09 pm
I'm not trolling. You don't see the irony in both of those statements being in the same post?
Absolutely not. People can like and dislike without being 'angry fans'. Why are you trying to pick a bone with those specific lines and yet ignore blocks of text before and after? Therefore: allstar.

Again, I nicely ask you to stop quoting me because my online energy is wasted into oblivion and my sentences are cherry picked for dissection, that's not discussion.