Half-Life: Alyx

A place to discuss music and video games.
prince0gotham wrote:I wonder if the advent of UE4 and Unity5 motivated this move
Possibly. They haven't really shown anything on Source 2, just that it exists.

This Valve. If they have confirmed it exists now then it means they were working on it for at least 3 years.

I know Source 2 is on the horizon and UE4 is ballin right now but guys... wait till you see the new Frostbite.

8-)

Since we already have a dedicated thread...

This is the first part of the rumor:
HL3:
1. in development but by a small crew of ~10 people currently
2. project status is the script, story and game events are complete
3. valve management not invested in releasing it anytime soon
4. was in development with larger team in 2009 but devs got moved to other projects which needed attention
5. mass effect 3 backlash influenced them. devs saw how passionate fans turned on the game and didnt want that to happen to the company's banner franchise
6. game culture has changed since 2004 ("sadly, most people are shitheads" - anonymous source at valve)

$$$:
7. cash flow from steam and F2P microtransactions is more than sustaining valve
8. staff moved to projects that bring in the money
9. Dota, CS Go, TF2 earned valve over $400 million in 2014.
10. Conservative estimate for total steam revenue in 2014 at $1.5 billion (1st and 3rd party)
11. Valve's 30% cut of $1.1 billion (3rd party only) combined with their top 3 F2P game earnings = $730 million in 2014.
12. no financial pressure to release HL3 (generous 12 million units full price retail for HL3 equals $720 million).
But Mark Laidlaw apparently responded to this rumor in an email:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HalfLife/comme ... ng_recent/

The Know handled that very well.

@Neil_Druckmann
Look, Valve, all I'm saying is you give us the Half Life license and we'll take care of the rest.
Merle Dandridge (who played Alyx in HL2 and played Marlene in TLOU) was part of the twitness:

In a Q&A session following his talk on VR, one member of the audience cheekily asked if Half-Life 3 would be a VR game.

“No,” he replied.

He then spoke about how VR headsets will not be going wireless anytime soon due to the bandwidth problems (two screens need to refresh 90 times a second, basically. You need cables for that).

When asked about the Half-Life 3 question again by the same person, he joked “I said ‘no’.”

Was it a serious question from the audience? We’ll, it was certainly genuine and we’ve all thought about it. But was it a serious answer?

When it comes to the near-mythical Half-Life 3, who knows.
Anyway, continue with Valve depression until further notice.

Valve just accidentally pushed a file named hl3.txt to Dota 2 Reborn that seems to be pretty damn interesting.
https://github.com/SteamDatabase/GameTr ... gd/hl3.txt
@SteamDB It's not interesting just because it's named "hl3.txt". It's interesting because it suggests procedural generation. And ziplines.
Two more interesting files, rpg.txt and ai_basenpc.txt.

That's three interesting files, for those of you counting at home! You know what that means.

*Valve is trolling, again, is my mantra until proven otherwise aka HL3 disc is in my tray.