Half-Life: Alyx

A place to discuss music and video games.
http://gamerant.com/half-life-3-update-motion-capture/
Sorry, I’m afraid that the opposite is true. HL3 is not being worked on at this time as far as I know.

Right. As far as I know they are not developing HL3 now for several reasons, among them the mo-cap issue. Sorry for any confusion. What they might decide in the future depends on lots of different factors. I hope they do, personally, but it has to make sense for them.

Here is the biggest challenge with bringing out HL3: the big thing now with FPSs is motion capture, or mo-cap. One of the great things about HL2 is that all of the characters that you meet actually look at you when they talk to you no matter where you go or stand. With mo-cap you can’t do that, at least not yet. Once you film the actor doing something and capture that motion, that’s what the character is going to do. This works great in movies, but when you make something interactive it gets way less interactive with mo-cap. So that’s one of the things they’re working on.
VALVe just lost 65% of my respect.

That's their excuse?!?! Wow.

Joeyjojo72 wrote:That's their excuse?!?! Wow.
Exactly. They have no excuse. How about release HL2: Ep 3 with the current Source engine, end on a half cliff-hanger yet still satisfactory, and THEN release HL3 later on for Source 2 etc. Jeez, VALVe.

Bacon wrote:http://gamerant.com/half-life-3-update-motion-capture/
Sorry, I’m afraid that the opposite is true. HL3 is not being worked on at this time as far as I know.

Right. As far as I know they are not developing HL3 now for several reasons, among them the mo-cap issue. Sorry for any confusion. What they might decide in the future depends on lots of different factors. I hope they do, personally, but it has to make sense for them.

Here is the biggest challenge with bringing out HL3: the big thing now with FPSs is motion capture, or mo-cap. One of the great things about HL2 is that all of the characters that you meet actually look at you when they talk to you no matter where you go or stand. With mo-cap you can’t do that, at least not yet. Once you film the actor doing something and capture that motion, that’s what the character is going to do. This works great in movies, but when you make something interactive it gets way less interactive with mo-cap. So that’s one of the things they’re working on.
VALVe just lost 65% of my respect.
That is the silliest reason I could think of. There are a number of developers out there that have flown past this problem without it being a blip on their radar. You'd think a company like Valve would be able to sort this out.

Yeah, I've seen exactly what they're describing used in tons of games.

I think they're going to pull a Duke Nukem Forever and rush the entire game.

Better start enjoying masterpieces of gaming nowadays, Half-Life is loosing respect and credibility. ~ 8-)

If HL3 is announced, I'll start saving for a graphics card.