Hideo Kojima Official Thread

A place to discuss music and video games.
It's spoilerific as FUCK if you've been following all of the footage so far closely.

Also, I know some stuff from early adopters.

Still, out of context seems fine.

AsianVersionOfET wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 1:42 pm
Bacon wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 1:22 pm
People wanting to stay away from spoilers should avoid the launch trailer. Just a heads up
I don’t know what kind of dope you’re smoking if you understood anything, let alone spoilers from that trailer, but I want some.
The trailer spoils a lot of seemingly important scenes, though.

AsianVersionOfET wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 1:42 pm
Bacon wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 1:22 pm
People wanting to stay away from spoilers should avoid the launch trailer. Just a heads up
I don’t know what kind of dope you’re smoking if you understood anything, let alone spoilers from that trailer, but I want some.
lol m4 is right on the money. If you've been paying attention, this trailer shows a ton. You may not understand yet, but it's best left alone

I feel that " if you've really paid attention" to the previous trailers you would've already figured out most if not all of the stuff that is merely "confirmed" in this one. That and I'm sure that if they're showing whatever they're showing here, then the biggest and more meaningful things are still not revealed.

As some expected, the reviews seem to be polarized.

EDIT: word
Last edited by ThePhantomTerror on November 1st, 2019, 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

i'm not a massive gamer but Tim Rogers video reviews are the one thing keeping me tethered to the medium

I expected MC score to be a lot worse tbh, I was sure this was gonna be divisive.

EDIT:
I feel like this will be the review that ends up explaining it best and shortest:

What I'm hearing about repetition and lengthy chores in the gameplay is exactly what I expected Kojima to save me from.

I'm exhausted by mainstream games that ask you do pretty much the same fucking thing in different shapes over and over.

But overall it seems the game might be a grower similar to Automata or No Man's Sky, as opposed to sth that instantly hits you as an overwhelmingly full on experience.

Well exactly, though ever since the first gameplay bits were shown to me it seemed more connected to Shadow of the Colossus than any of those, where the "negative space" between events, encounters and interractions (filled just with riding from A to B) created intimacy and made the epic moments grander. There's obviously a lot more problem solving in this one but ultimately one that feels aesthetically appropriate to being in that universe rather than modeled after popular fantasies like being a parkour-assassin. In that sense I wouldn't even regard it as "repetition" if it's there to serve the material.

Glad to see overall critics are enjoying it more than I expected they would.

Everything I know about the story and gameplay makes me excited to play it, but I'm also someone who's interests lie incredibly in-line with Kojima's. The less intense gameplay, the defied expectation, the focus on immersion, the in-depth and focused story. I'm also having to remind myself that this isn't MGS3. This is the first game of its kind, so it's more like comparing it to MGS1 (which had LOTS of issues, but tried new things that still hold up as being exceptional).

This feels like a game made for me rather than for everyone (that's a common line it seems with game reviewers). Hopefully when I play it, I agree with it more fully.