Hideo Kojima Official Thread

A place to discuss music and video games.
No I genuinely like it.

Kinda glad I didn't see many promos for this before buying. Playing it blind is quite the experience right now.

Episode 2 is rough and a bit of a slog, but Episode 3 is already more fun now that it introduced some key abilities.

EDIT: Yeah, once I got those strong legs, I'm loving this. Hope it stays like this.

Cilogy wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 9:17 pm

/10
This review was brought to you by bad Rockstar ports

I've beaten the prologue and first two episodes, so I figured it's time to share my actual thoughts. Death Stranding is a very messy, imperfect and often alienating game that seems to go out of its way for you not to "enjoy it," yet I am mostly loving my experience. I get sucked into the mood, the immersion, the quiet, serene beauty, melancholy, yet connective world that, at times, I have surprisingly emotional reactions. The "needle drops" with huge vistas get me every time. The narrative elements really work for me.

The first major boss battle, though like everything in Death Stranding, is wayyy too easy (even on Hard) yet is a true spectacle unlike anything in gaming.

But I cannot blame anyone for struggling here. The controls are sometimes clunky, but the bigger issue is how Kojima rewards, or rather how he doesn't, players for their long, somewhat tedious, tumultuous journeys delivering banal cargo. So unlike, say, Dark Souls, where after hours of frustration and monotony you get a big rush, a hologram pats you on the back and says good job. You don't get (much) new gear. You don't get decent cosmetic upgrades. Story elements come slowly (pure Kojima ofc). You don't even see how the cargo you're delivery is helping these little areas.

There's no emotional element. It's dispassionate, which is the point, but it also means when you're delivering medicine it isn't to save a particular character's life, or help rebuild a town or city like in Red Dead Redemption 2, where you see the fruits of effort and labor. The game is "retraining" you to mostly get enjoyment out of the actual gameplay while withholding reward, and while I get a lot out of that, it also makes Episode 2 feel unreasonable slow and tedious for seemingly no reason. A little of this would have gone a LONG way and alone would've likely resulted in a better metascore.

To make things worse still, the stealth and combat gameplay is extremely "simple" and very very easy. Once you get gear that helps you defend yourself, the game's already easy action/stealth sections become laughably easy to do. The first big boss battle, as I said, is stupidly easy and the mechanics are stupidly simple. I wonder how much of this is the consequence of budget limitations vs Kojima's own imagination.

I know that was long, but I've been bottling this up over 15 hours of gameplay. Somehow, despite all that, I am mostly loving this experience for all the novelty and power it brings and can't wait to play more.

-Vader

I mean, I feel the gear you get and such in Ep 3 really does help make the gameplay open up immediately.
Fast travel, Power/Speed Skeletons, Creating Vehicles, etc.

Slogging through chapter 2, but I see everyone says just to keep going. So my thoughts here are probably incomplete. Will push on to Chapter 3.

In Chapter 2, I feel like there's a lot of shit just thrown at me through dialogue and cutscenes. And it feels kind of incessant. I feel like I'm being taught some new mechanic or told some story beat every few seconds. So I have to kinda remember everything explained during each interlude.

I get it, that’s Kojima. Experienced it in MGS. But like Vader said, I don’t seem to see any reward yet.

So its a bit of a chore, but I'm still find this interesting and love the world building, even if I dont understand any of it.

Cutscenes practically stop in Episode 3 for the entire chapter (which is one of the longest chapters in the game apparently) so you can familiarize yourself with the game and the new mechanics (it continues to introduce some big ones in Episode 3 but at a good pace imo).

My biggest complaint of the gameplay was the constant and never-ending juggling and balancing act, which is basically minimal upon completion of Episode 2. Also, I couldn't get the hang of BT interactions, but now I do and I dig it. Just wish my odradek was higher so I could see it over my packages.

@Cil: Pm me your PS4 name if you want, man btw.

Bacon wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 2:42 am
Cutscenes practically stop in Episode 3 for the entire chapter (which is one of the longest chapters in the game apparently) so you can familiarize yourself with the game and the new mechanics (it continues to introduce some big ones in Episode 3 but at a good pace imo).

My biggest complaint of the gameplay was the constant and never-ending juggling and balancing act, which is basically minimal upon completion of Episode 2. Also, I couldn't get the hang of BT interactions, but now I do and I dig it. Just wish my odradek was higher so I could see it over my packages.
ep 3 is a blast overall, but 1.) there's barely any BT encounters (so far) in ep3 2.) the BT and Mule encounters are crraaaazy easy once you get certain items. i have died once, and it was because of a glitch with a quest. this would all be a lot more engaging if these encounters were more dynamic and interesting. and there was more than one or two attack types against you.

again, v "simple" gameplay mechanics here, bordering on simplistic. mostly i love wandering and delivering stuff. the pacing in this game is almost as wonky as MGSV.

-Vader

well i just got the bike so now this is a heap more fun

The first 10-15 hours of this play like Amnesia Dark Descent but then it goes full terraformer tycoon 2020 and im loving it so much