Hideo Kojima Official Thread

A place to discuss music and video games.
Bacon wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 1:49 am
Paddling thumbs on the beach over and over and over again just to trigger another cutscene was not my idea of an 'epic finale'.
You're right. But it's not the finale lol
The bossfights in MGS4 are pathetic and pitiful, especially when compared to other Metal Gear games (even MGSV), other than Metal Gear REX and the final Liquid fight. And if you're judging DS over its bossfights, when the message of the game is literally antithetical to the idea of particular kinds of bossfights, I think you're looking at the game in entirely the wrong way.

DS's point isn't the combat or the encounters with the BT's. They're there as a means to an end, which is why their encounters are less fleshed out and sporadic.
"I don't know what to do?" "Sure you do, after everything how could you not?"

"That gun won't help you here. Her words."
1) It is the semi-finale of my say in the game, as a person who is supposed to control it I would love to have some player agency after spending countless hours invested in the game. Literally building the game world.
2) How are they more pathetic and pitiful than the ones in Death Stranding (I'll give you the 'other MGS games' comment)? Each and every is more memorable and to this date iconic, in comparison to, uhm... Squid Four? Black Goo Panthera Six? Forgot the order.
3) I already mentioned the easily dissmisive nature of such comment since, indeed, the sole purpose of the game is to teach you both patience and means to avoid the conflict (suprising but see, I do get it). However, conflict is very much put in front of you on many occasions and when it's on - it's terrible. Mechanically, it's meant to be the opposite of 'fun'. Now, you may say - well, that's the intention, all of it. Is it, really? I believe it's possible to have mechanically perfectly executed boss fights where you're supposed to be the oppressed one, without taking the 'fun' aspect of it. Examples? Oh, just the entirety of Kojima's opus. He could've looked into From Software as well, everybody else is.

My issue is with the pacing, the gameplay when it's forcing you to fight a boss that is actually just window dressing (I'd love to see a video of someone actually dying to these beasts) and final stretch of the game. And all of those segments have been done properly here and there.

Positive aspects of said negatives:

- Solid balance of gameplay vs. cutscenes and character development in most chapters (not all)
-addictive gameplay of package delivery-troop avoidance loop that eventually turns into craft-game
-incredible performance by Mads Mikkelsen (everybody else is, talking about the final stretch here)

*Sorry for 10th posting V:
other than MGS1/MGS3, has there been a major Kojima game that hasn't been wildly messy and underwhelming in weird ways but enlightening and beautiful and wonderful in others?

where we all fall is how much those two extremes subjectively collide.

the thing that lets me appreciate all his stuff is to treat them less like video games and more like what they probably are closer to, which is interactive art intallations.

anyway, death stranding is his interstellar.

-Vader
Agreed on the Interstellar comparison! Actually perfect.

Can't wait

i think u mean

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
December 13th, 2022, 12:46 pm
i think u mean
I was too lazy to pull the video up but that's exactly what i meant.