Tenet - Awards Season Discussion Thread

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
A Borges man wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 3:23 am
Tenet will go the way of things like Miami Vice, Blackhat, The fountain, Strange Days, or Prince of Darkness. A film by a major filmmaker, that the fans are obsessed with, but the people on the outside don't vibe with.
I still contend that if COVID wasn't a thing, this film would have done just fine. Maybe not the first time through for some people, but they would've gone back. It would've been very okay in the general mainstream, even being confusing as it was for a once-over.

A Borges man wrote:

Just so we are clear..." Cult Classic" is a label that is not applicable to a movie that cost 200 million $ to make and had the whole Warner Brothers ad engine behind it. Cult classics are generally low budget or niche films and more often than not "transgressive", that somehow got an intense fan following, and will have rituals accumulated around it. Cult Classics include The Room, Rocky horror picture show, Phantom of the Paradise, or Pink Flamingos.

Tenet will go the way of things like Miami Vice, Blackhat, The fountain, Strange Days, or Prince of Darkness. A film by a major filmmaker, that the fans are obsessed with, but the people on the outside don't vibe with.
I’m not so sure about BlackHat there but I see your point.

You are right. Although formerly the concept of a "cult classic" was more in accordance to what you just said but now it has become a bit more complex or perhaps blurry at points? Leading to there not being a clear difference sometimes. Of course, the idea remains nonetheless for what constitutes mainly as "cult following".

Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 3:38 am
A Borges man wrote:

Just so we are clear..." Cult Classic" is a label that is not applicable to a movie that cost 200 million $ to make and had the whole Warner Brothers ad engine behind it. Cult classics are generally low budget or niche films and more often than not "transgressive", that somehow got an intense fan following, and will have rituals accumulated around it. Cult Classics include The Room, Rocky horror picture show, Phantom of the Paradise, or Pink Flamingos.

I’m not so sure about BlackHat there but I see your point.

You are right. Although formerly the concept of a "cult classic" was more in accordance to what you just said but now it has become a bit more complex or perhaps blurry at points? Leading to there not being a clear difference sometimes. Of course, the idea remains nonetheless for what constitutes mainly as "cult following".
I understand why the term "cult film" is evoked...
Indeed. I'll throw in After Hours, and The Trail, now that I've had time to think about it. We need a term for the Auteur project that is basically "for the fan" or the obsessives...or not, I don't know...I'm avoiding writing a paper on Ecocriticism...

Oku
This thread is full of questionable takes and Monday morning quarterbacking. The film underperformed due to a once-in-a-century worldwide pandemic. It is a mistake to then use that as somehow proof that it's a film that only fans will like.

Look at Dunkirk. Go watch JereremyJahns's review of it, or read any of the most-liked reviews on IMDb. Casual audiences hate that movie. They hate how there's no character development, or characters at all, for that matter. They hate the confusing, "choppy" editing. They hate the lack of a plot. They hate how the insistence of the practical effects makes the whole evacuation look ridiculously small-scale, like it consisted of a few thousand men, like 20 boats, and three Spitfires.

I could go on. Casual audiences just really do not like that movie. Now, if Dunkirk had too been released during a pandemic and flopped, I guarantee you that the bad financials would have emboldened these people to come out in full force to loudly shout their negative opinions. Instead, Dunkirk somehow became the highest-grossing WW2 movie, effectively silencing their negative opinions.

It's a pretty similar situation with Tenet, right down to the fact that it took a second viewing for me to like the film. Y'all are pretending like Tenet is unique in that regard, when it's not. I never wanted to watch Dunkirk ever again after my first viewing until I begrudgingly went for my second viewing and suddenly had it 'click'.

The low gross is emboldening the people who hate the movie and the bandwagoners because they feel that their negative opinions are validated, when, again...once-in-a-century, worldwide pandemic.

have no expectations but lets just see if Tenet will get a sound nom, it will be fun!

Oku wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 5:52 am
The film underperformed due to a once-in-a-century worldwide pandemic. It is a mistake to then use that as somehow proof that it's a film that only fans will like.
Tenet has by far the worst user ratings (Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, IMDB) of any Nolan original including Dunkirk. No reasonable person thinks the "proof" of a lukewarm reception is the box office... it's the fact every metric of data we have indicates this is the truth.

Tenet got a lukewarm reception by critics and audiences and that's okay. Don't ignore facts, don't make up excuses like how it's not fair to review Tenet unless it's seen 2 times. Just accept it.

How you felt about the movie is what's important.

-Vader

Oku wrote:
Go watch JereremyJahns's review of it,
i'd rather not

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 8:26 am
Oku wrote:
Go watch JereremyJahns's review of it,
i'd rather not
You and me both...can't believe that guy is still a thing...

I can totally see the Academy honoring Tenets attempt to save cinemas. Without Dune etc. Warner Bros can generously concentrate on Tenets fyc campaign. And in the last couple of years at least 1 blockbuster (or crowdpleaser) got nominations in the bigger categories. Just to arouse interest of mainstream audience. So maybe we could see a Big Picture Nom.

My nomination predictions as for now

Pretty safe:
Best Sound - Win is possible
Best Cinematography
Best Visual Effects - Win is possible, especially because of the lack of blockbuster competition

Unlikely, but who knows:
Best Picture
Best Film Editing - I didn't liked the editing. Was too fast somehow. But the editor is female. So maybe there could be a chance. You know Oscars want to be woke :lol:
Best Production Design - Maybe the eagle mountain scenery will help
Best Original Score
Best Original Song