Tenet - Awards Season Discussion Thread

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Vader182 wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 8:17 am
Oku wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 5:52 am
The film underperformed due to a once-in-a-century worldwide pandemic. It is a mistake to then use that as somehow proof that it's a film that only fans will like.
Tenet has by far the worst user ratings (Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, IMDB) of any Nolan original including Dunkirk. No reasonable person thinks the "proof" of a lukewarm reception is the box office... it's the fact every metric of data we have indicates this is the truth.

Tenet got a lukewarm reception by critics and audiences and that's okay. Don't ignore facts, don't make up excuses like how it's not fair to review Tenet unless it's seen 2 times. Just accept it.

How you felt about the movie is what's important.

-Vader
I have to agree. User ratings for Tenet have been the lowest right now. Numbers indicate that a good part of the public is a bit more ambivalent when it comes to this film. It isn't something we can overlook.

Regardless, the movie has had a positive (lukewarm if you will) reception overall if you ask me but with a quite striking amount of mixed reviews. At least 7/10 or 3/5 in general is still positive in my opinion.

Either way, as Vader said, what's important is how you felt about it. It doesn’t matter what Tenet is now or will be in the future for other people.

natalie wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 10:00 am
Interesting.

I hope it doesn’t win anything. Those so called “awards” are not worthy of this film. There’s oscar shit, which, of course, some of it is good, and then there’s Tenet, which is highhhhh up above it.

ok so im in a weird position cuz i still havent seen it (officerKscreaminggoddamit.jpg) but the thing about needing to see the film more than once to fully grasp it doesnt stick out to me as a flaw, i mean traditionally films can be understood in one viewing, but maybe in the future we will see more media that plays with this notion of repeated viewings as a key way to access the meaning of the piece, i do believe that critics should take longer to review films, and i also believe that this need to get reviews out as soon as possible hinders their work, i mean films are all different, some can be fully understood in one sitting, some may take more time, i do also also believe that critics are getting "bored" of Nolan, like they sort of did with Spielberg, i almost know for sure that once Dune is out Villeneuve will be treated the new hot thing (wich he kinda already is but in a smaller scale still)

A Borges man wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 8:31 am
Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 8:26 am
Oku wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 5:52 am
Go watch JereremyJahns's review of it,
i'd rather not
You and me both...can't believe that guy is still a thing...
Well I disagree a lot with Jeremy Jahns. But I still watch his review. Because he thinks & talks like the general audience. He is mostly looking for simple entertainment. Not like Chris Stuckmann or so, who is more into the art of (us and non-us) filmmaking. It's interesting to see different viewpoints on the same film. Btw Jahns liked Tenet a lot.

X-MementoMori-X wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 5:04 pm
A Borges man wrote:
Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 8:26 am

i'd rather not
Not like Chris Stuckmann or so, who is more into the art of (us and non-us) filmmaking
ah yes, chris stuckman, connoisseur of film art. he and richard brody are birds of a feather!

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 5:55 pm
X-MementoMori-X wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 5:04 pm
A Borges man wrote:

Not like Chris Stuckmann or so, who is more into the art of (us and non-us) filmmaking
ah yes, chris stuckman, connoisseur of film art. he and richard brody are birds of a feather!

-Vader
Still can't get over how much Richard Brody loves Inception, warms my heart.

Cinematography is best bet for a win.

sound mix/editing will be nominated, maybe win.

score, costumes, production design.

Nolan won't get a directing nom but he effing should.

Sky007 wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 9:28 pm
Cinematography is best bet for a win.

sound mix/editing will be nominated, maybe win.

score, costumes, production design.

Nolan won't get a directing nom but he effing should.
Cinematography is a good bet, that and the fact that neither Deakins nor Lubezki have films this year haha.