Home Video Release - 4K/Blu-Ray/Digital/DVD

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Tarssauce wrote:
December 25th, 2020, 4:33 am
There is no 2K HDR. 2K (1080p to be exact) SDR and 4K HDR.

But yeah physical media > digital streaming always. Until they start selling the films in Blu-ray quality with affordable prices. You get less compressed images and uncompressed audio which is not something you get with streaming or digital purchases.
Sadly our current obsession with resolution may delay the content from having a decent bit rate, Steve Yedlin has some great stuff on his website about this, i for one think 4k is more than enough for home releases, i want them to focus on HDR, that is the real game changer.

Nicolaslabra wrote:
December 25th, 2020, 11:00 am
Sadly our current obsession with resolution may delay the content from having a decent bit rate, Steve Yedlin has some great stuff on his website about this, i for one think 4k is more than enough for home releases, i want them to focus on HDR, that is the real game changer.
Haven’t seen Steve Yedlin’s videos properly / in full but I know his opinion on resolution.

I don’t know a lot honestly but I definitely bought into the resolution hype. Coming from photography and being able to take 24MP photos where you can see so much detail made me want to get the same result with video. But resolution is not everything. Dynamic range and color space are key factors.

I also haven’t really experienced 4K HDR yet so I don’t know what I’m missing but if 2K can look so good in giant IMAX screens then why would people want anything more than 4K at home? Especially when they sit further away from their TV screens which minimizes how much detail they can actually see.

This also brings us to another thing... people want filmmakers to make films to take full advantage of what their equipment are able to do, ignoring artist intent. Some people called Blade Runner 2049 “fake 4K HDR” because it didn’t have the number of nits they they associate with HDR. Even Tenet got similar comments.

This post ended up longer than I thought it would be :)

I have a complete initial draft of changing the film's aspect ratio from 2.20:1 and 1.78:1 to a consistent 2.40:1. This is a personal choice of mine, not one which most will agree with.

Here is a comparison video between the two with different scenes in the movie. I tried to do them just under 10 seconds each so YouTube wouldn't block it, but it still seemed to do so. You can download it for Blu-ray quality.

Well Steve`s main points are, regarding specially video, that Resolution as in the amount of photosites in the sensor are an unrealiable way to interpret the real spatial resolution of the image, more megapixels=/= resolving more detail, he compares various sensors (it even shows that the alexa 65 resolves more detail/information than 15perf 70mm film, but im scared to point that out in this forum as i might get stoned to death haha)and the conclusion from the comparison seems to, and i stress, "seems to" point in the direction that bigger photosites do in fact contribute to more spatial resolution, rather than just more photosites, film is different, as a bigger negative usually means more silver halides.
And that 1080p and 2160p are enough for consumer level use, and that our focus should be in enhancing other aspects of home distribution both in physical media and streaming (streaming specially since we are dealing with very limited bit rates)
i think that maybe higher resolutions could be something we see in future cinemas, i believe that if theaters survive, they should always strive to give an experience not possible at home, like dolby theaters, i hear they are excelent.

Maybe someone that isn't dumb about sound like I am can help me with this. I had downloaded a 4K copy of the movie to hold me over until the 4K UHD Blu-ray release, and while watching the downloaded copy from a flash drive the sound is INSANE. It is so loud and the bass just completely thumps (in a good way). I just have a fairly cheap, mid-tier soundbar (Yamaha YAS-207), and the "DD/DTS" indicator glows red to indicate it is a DTS signal. Now watching the 4K Blu-ray, the sound is just so flat and quiet. I actually cringed in the moment JDW first starts running toward the stairs in the opera scene, when the bass is supposed to kick in. So disappointing after hearing everyone here say how big the sound is on the disc. My player (Sony UBP-X800) shows the audio as "DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 ch 48kHz," but the DTS indicator on the soundbar is not glowing. Any idea what my issue is? Crazy that the 20GB 4K file I downloaded sounds better than the disc. And dare I say I think it even looks crisper or more vibrant or something, but maybe that's just my TV settings. I have the LG 65" C7 OLED and for some reason LG likes to make you individually tweak settings for each input instead of initially defaulting to your settings on another.

^ You don't sound dumb, and I'm sorry if I don't end up helping you out more here.

Sometimes there are weird things with players and receivers and discs not working in tandem with one another the right way, so it could have some weird relationship that way.

I would check your UHD player settings and see if you don't have any sort of dynamic range compression setting enabled. Also, see if you're bitstreaming or not (I would try that), and play with any receiver settings to see if it can passthrough your player's audio bitstream decoding.

When you say flat, do you mean that no bass is outputting at all? Just curious.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
December 26th, 2020, 3:08 am
^ You don't sound dumb, and I'm sorry if I don't end up helping you out more here.

Sometimes there are weird things with players and receivers and discs not working in tandem with one another the right way, so it could have some weird relationship that way.

I would check your UHD player settings and see if you don't have any sort of dynamic range compression setting enabled. Also, see if you're bitstreaming or not (I would try that), and play with any receiver settings to see if it can passthrough your player's audio bitstream decoding.

When you say flat, do you mean that no bass is outputting at all? Just curious.
That worked, thank you! In my player's manual it said to change the BD Audio Mix to Off and Digital Audio Output to Auto to enjoy bitstream (Dolby/DTS) signals (this was set to PCM, which I vaguely recall setting it to that years ago for some reason to overcome some other issue I had). But now the DTS light is glowing on the soundbar and the bass vibrates the entire house appropriately (when I said it was flat before, I THINK it was outputting some bass but it was very puny). Now I can annoy the neighbors properly now. And I think I've been listening to Blu-rays the wrong way for several years now, so thank you again!

As for the BD Audio Mix setting, it says "[On] Outputs the audio obtained by mixing the interactive and secondary audio to the primary audio, or [Off] Outputs the primary audio only. Select this to output Bitstream (Dolby/DTS) signals to an AV amplifier (receiver)." I don't even know what's meant by mixing the interactive and secondary audio, so hopefully I won't encounter issues with anything else by having that turned off?

KEM
Found a 4k link, 82gb lol this download is gonna take forever

Glad you could sort that out, Hustler!

KEM wrote:
December 26th, 2020, 9:51 pm
It shouldn’t be that much. I think it’s only like 56 GB or so. Interesting.

KEM
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
December 26th, 2020, 11:08 pm
Glad you could sort that out, Hustler!

KEM wrote:
December 26th, 2020, 9:51 pm
It shouldn’t be that much. I think it’s only like 56 GB or so. Interesting.
The download is capped unless you buy the premium so it’s gonna take forever, I don’t know how to torrent either

https://4k-hd.club/movies/1010-tenet-4k ... ra-hd.html