Home Video Release - 4K/Blu-Ray/Digital/DVD

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Not too keen on the Best Buy steelbook. At least the front cover anyway. To be fair though, the art department didn't give them much to work with. Love the special features disc and main 4K disc though.
Think I'll stick with the regular 4K release, unless a cool digibook comes out or something.

Regular release still the better cover edition.

Probably a mistake. An Atmos mix does not exist since Nolan prefers 5.1 - and as of now no Dolby Vision on disc. The iTunes version will have DV but it won’t have the IMAX aspect ratio.

I actually think it's kind of funny how, after having seen the film twice, I still don't know how often the film switches from 65mm to IMAX. I mean, in 70mm it's actually something that you can notice. Since the IMAX footage is brighter but I didn't thought it was that noticeable as with Dunkirk. Anybody any idea why that could be?
I mean, speaking of Tenet, I know that the prologue, the car chase and other big scenes are all IMAX and I figure there was some back and forth between 65mm and IMAX during the climax but still? I guess 70mm makes it all very much streamlined lol. I mean hell, even with seeing Interstellar in 70mm, the difference between 35mm and IMAX was of course noticeable but the 35mm footage looked better than I'd ever seen it and IMAX looks amazing on 70mm.

Nomis wrote:
November 28th, 2020, 12:19 pm
I actually think it's kind of funny how, after having seen the film twice, I still don't know how often the film switches from 65mm to IMAX. I mean, in 70mm it's actually something that you can notice. Since the IMAX footage is brighter but I didn't thought it was that noticeable as with Dunkirk. Anybody any idea why that could be?
I mean, speaking of Tenet, I know that the prologue, the car chase and other big scenes are all IMAX and I figure there was some back and forth between 65mm and IMAX during the climax but still? I guess 70mm makes it all very much streamlined lol. I mean hell, even with seeing Interstellar in 70mm, the difference between 35mm and IMAX was of course noticeable but the 35mm footage looked better than I'd ever seen it and IMAX looks amazing on 70mm.
Looking at the footage from the trailers and behind the scenes it seems like the film has a slightly bigger aspect ratio (2:1?) vs his usual film scenes (2.40:1). Which would explain why I also felt like the switch between IMAX and Film scene where very smooth on digital IMAX and not disruptive. Haven't had the pleasure to see it in 70mm but I'm glad to know that the 4K Blu-Ray experience at home will be great.

Both Dunkirk and Tenet were shot on a mixture of 5/65 and 15/65 so the regular DCP / digital version is in 2.20:1 aspect ratio.

Haven’t seen it in IMAX and I honestly couldn’t tell what was 5/65 and what was 15/65.

But 65mm is already on another level when it comes to clarity and grain so it’s a close match, especially since an IMAX frame is in a way three 5/65 frames combined. The difference would be more noticeable if you see a 15/70 print since the 5/65 portion is optically blown up.

true true true

Actually kind of fun you get to see more from the IMAX shots at home than even in a 70mm theater lol. I mean, my country now has two theaters which can project 70mm, so that's nice but I don't think we'll ever get a 1.44 IMAX screen (or even a third 70mm screen). If we ever do get a 1.44 IMAX screen, it's obviously going to be Laser, but still. I would one day love to see any partially IMAX shot film of Nolan in a 1.44 70mm theater. Of course both Dunkirk and Tenet would be best since it's all 70mm after all :P Just the sheer size of IMAX and seeing some of those Dunkirk stills in it's full IMAX film is truly awesome

I remember there were some fully IMAX stills of Tenet out there but they seem to be quite heavily color graded or something? Hope we'll see more of that tbh

Definitely :D it’s 2.20:1 constant vs. 1.78:1 so we should be getting slightly more image than the IMAX digital DCP (1.90:1).

It’s crazy there are so many formats and although 70mm is identical to the DCP when it comes to the aspect ratio, seeing it presented on film must be glorious. Pure analog color.

There are full IMAX frames out there but yeah the color grading is always slightly different.

I guess the only digibook will be exclusive to Hong Kong, up for pre-order here:

https://collectong.com/collections/pre- ... t-digibook

PS: The company behind this (Manta Lab) is also the one planning an exclusive steelbook later. Chinese company HDzeta also said they will be doing one, but not sure about that yet.