The Drive-In Thread

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
So so sorry to report that my drive in experience with this was utterly terrible. Now, the one I'm heading to next week where I had a great time with Unhinged might fare a lot better since that's an LED screen and not DCP projector which means they might get a more appropriate copy of the film to screen (perhaps the home video version?) but - coupled with all the existing audio mix issues people are talking about like the dialogue which are magnified even more here, FM just cannot handle the (theatrical mix's) score and anything louder than calm dialogue scenes. Even the end credits Travis Scott song was crackling and distorting throughout. Felt like I didn't even watch the film in all honesty. Especially disappointing given how much I put hopes in this option given, you know, all that's happening, plus a 150 mile round trip.

antovolk wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 8:48 pm
So so sorry to report that my drive in experience with this was utterly terrible. Now, the one I'm heading to next week where I had a great time with Unhinged might fare a lot better since that's an LED screen and not DCP projector which means they might get a more appropriate copy of the film to screen (perhaps the home video version?) but - coupled with all the existing audio mix issues people are talking about like the dialogue which are magnified even more here, FM just cannot handle the (theatrical mix's) score and anything louder than calm dialogue scenes. Even the end credits Travis Scott song was crackling and distorting throughout. Felt like I didn't even watch the film in all honesty. Especially disappointing given how much I put hopes in this option given, you know, all that's happening, plus a 150 mile round trip.
Reading this makes me frightened about seeing it at the Drive-In Friday. Maybe I should cave and see it at an early morning show or something in a cinema

For the record, this is the issue I'm talking about - clipping. Imagine hearing most of.the score that way

Now if my Twitter replies are to go by some drive-ins screening DCP are faring better than others, I guess depending on how well the people handling the FM transmitter and the mixing down for stereo in the projection booth are, controlling the volume on *their* end (genuinely the most important thing?). Would recommend perhaps getting in touch with them in time for your showing. I don't feel right saying people already committed to drive-in should go indoor and risk it just because the quality of my drive-in experience left much to be desired.

I was hoping my car speakers (which have pretty solid mixing settings) could reduce clipping by turning down the bass volume. Granted, not entirely sure if that would make a difference considering the FM signal would remain unchanged.

WB should’ve provided a TV mix (if one exists) less dynamic than the theatrical mix or even the mix for home video.
Last edited by Tarssauce on August 29th, 2020, 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bacon wrote:
August 29th, 2020, 12:39 pm
I was hoping my car speakers (which have pretty solid mixing settings) could reduce clipping by turning down the bass volume. Granted, not entirely sure if that would make a difference considering the FM signal would remain unchanged.
Tried on mine and did not help, in my case this was definitely an issue with the FM signal. And @tarssauce - exactly. I'm hopeful next week will be better - the place I'm going is where I had a great time with Unhinged. LED screen instead of DCP projection and likely, I hope, WB will provide something more suitable for that venue.

antovolk wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 8:48 pm
This sucks to hear. For me, I think Drive-in is my only option...

been speaking to others who've seen it at drive-ins, inclding UK, and starting to sound like the issues I had were a stroke of bad luck with the venue/showing. Heading to the other place on Wednesday so fingers crossed

antovolk wrote:
August 30th, 2020, 5:07 pm
been speaking to others who've seen it at drive-ins, inclding UK, and starting to sound like the issues I had were a stroke of bad luck with the venue/showing. Heading to the other place on Wednesday so fingers crossed
Nice. Let us know. I'm in the US so I'm waiting for tickets to go up for Saturday

the sound absolutely perfect here - The Drive-In at Enfield, London. They did such a good job handling it. They put a projection screen over their LED setup and a cinema projector for this and other future big films I presume. Not only the score not ruined but they worked really hard to boost the dialogue too. As clear as possible.