Tenet User Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 2:14 am
You know, this really is the first Nolan film that...

A prominent female role isn’t killed off, villainized, rendered helpless, or outright neglected.
Catwoman, Dr Brand, Murph, Juno in Inception, Hilary Swank in Insomnia

LelekPL wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 2:37 am
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:

A prominent female role isn’t killed off, villainized, rendered helpless, or outright neglected.
TDKR - Talia
Interstellar - Cooper's wife
Inception - Mal
Insomnia - Main victim

I didn't say all females were portrayed that way... but this time no females were portrayed that way.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 2:50 am
LelekPL wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:

TDKR - Talia
Inception - Mal
Insomnia - Main victim

I didn't say all females were portrayed that way... but this time no females were portrayed that way.
I would't say Copper's wife is a prominent character. She's not even a character... But I get your point.
This time it's the husband who dies, and the mother who is reunited with her child.

Demoph wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 3:48 am
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 2:50 am
LelekPL wrote:
TDKR - Talia
Inception - Mal
Insomnia - Main victim

I would't say Copper's wife is a prominent character. She's not even a character... But I get your point.
This time it's the husband who dies, and the mother who is reunited with her child.
Okay, fair enough.
The "Nolan hates women" angle always seemed to be a push in all of his films though, haha... at least, until Tenet.

We could say that BB doesn't really have anything since Thomas was killed alongside Martha and since that's a part of Batman lore, but Rachel seems helpless without Bruce and doesn't let Bruce get her in the end either, plus she dies by the sequel heh.

LelekPL wrote:
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:

Dr Brand is rendered helpless at the end. Even Debicki is mostly just a helpless damsel in distress character until the very end.
I would say the only female protagonists he ever wrote particularly well were Catwoman and Murph. (Not counting Swank since it isn't his screenplay)

Why do people get so caught up with the whole Nolan not writing women well thing? I'm a woman and his movies and characters never bother me. Sure, it's kind of humorous that there is almost always a dead wife, but in the end it works for the movie and that is what matters. Just curious what the big deal is and why so many people focus on it all the time.

marshallmurphy wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 7:54 pm
Why do people get so caught up with the whole Nolan not writing women well thing? I'm a woman and his movies and characters never bother me. Sure, it's kind of humorous that there is almost always a dead wife, but in the end it works for the movie and that is what matters. Just curious what the big deal is and why so many people focus on it all the time.
No one said he doesn't write them well. I think it's humorous as well after being informed of the fact that this happens often.

I don't think he does a bad job writing women. Compared to most female characters in Hollywood films in recent years, I will take his fractured, abusive, damsel in distress or tormented female characters over the Mary Sue perfect idealized women we see in Hollywood studio films.

But there also is nothing to write home about most of the women in his movies. Just how it is and Nolan certainly is a leg down in that department when you start to compare the depth of those characters to the women that you may see in the works of Cronenberg, Lynch, Campion, the Wasikowskis, Tarantino, PTA or other directors who are responsible for some very iconic/great female characters.

Of course, one can also say Nolan has never been particularly a very good character writer as that is not what he aims to do with his films.

Nolan is far from alone in failing to write interesting female characters. What was the last complex, interesting female character from Scorsese? Karen from Goodfellas? Ellen Burstyn from Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore?
The Coen Brothers? Love Kubrick but outside of Lolita and Shelly Duvall, who for most of the Shining was a door mat, what interesting female characters did he have?

Lots of male directors have lacking female characters. Hopefully that will start to change.

I guess the way I see it is that Nolan writes his own movies, and being a man it makes sense that his lead would be a male - people write what they know. I don't personally have an issue with the "victim" role or damsel in distress, as this is sometimes a necessary trope. He writes his own movies, so he can do what he wants. That being said, I would love to see Nolan get a little more creative with his female characters because as a woman I do enjoy watching women on screen, doing interesting things, but it won't bother me if he never does.