Tenet User Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
So I drove to Nevada (Reno) this afternoon for a 5:00 showing. Just returned.

I am not going to leave a review right now, it's far too early for that. I will however react a little to try and wrap my head around things. Keep in mind that I didn't see any trailers, so this is me seeing anything about this movie for the first time. I'm sure others won't have as much trouble keeping up if you've seen trailers, hah. I still haven't read anyone else's impressions or seen anything about it (including the RT score), so bear with me as this is completely uninfluenced and independent.

From my end, this film felt both overwhelming and incomprehensible, and neither of those two things are knocks in the slightest. It has earned the need for at least two more theatrical repeat viewings to absorb the story and its mechanics, and to be fair I believe that Christopher Nolan actually made a comprehensible film, and furthermore I think he made it to the point that even his actors understood what was going on when they filmed it (because I didn't feel the same during Inception).

Now I'm not saying that the movie is like Inception, but if I were to liken it to Inception, say that Ellen Page's character was not there for the audience's sake to be explained everything, and instead was just a part of the mission when they talk about things like kicks, architects, dreamers, subconscious projections, time dilation, etc. That's what this movie felt like, which some people may prefer. I mean Tenet explains things, but it doesn't feel the need to rehash them and it doesn't dumb it down for them as if it's all purely exposition. So for those who don't want to be spoonfed the movie's rules, congratulations... I give you Tenet.

I still just can't wrap my head around how this film was made. I don't know what goes on in that man's mind. If it truly is tightly woven and constructed to the point that I can properly make sense of it all, then I just have to give props for the creativity. This is the first time since Memento that I am just perplexed at how he thinks and can even try to make this coherent, much less execute on it. And furthermore, I don't know how this movie was filmed. I mean most of it is relatively straightforward, but there are 2-3 specific sequences where I just question: "How the hell was that done?" I think even if I see a behind-the-scenes, I still won't understand it.

Anyway, those are just early content-free reactions. I'm not even near done talking about this movie, and I haven't even mentioned whether I liked it or not!

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 2:32 am

I am not going to leave a review right now, it's far too early for that. I will however react a little to try and wrap my head around things. Keep in mind that I didn't see any trailers, so this is me seeing anything about this movie for the first time. I'm sure others won't have as much trouble keeping up if you've seen trailers, hah. I still haven't read anyone else's impressions or seen anything about it (including the RT score), so bear with me as this is completely uninfluenced and independent.

From my end, this film felt both overwhelming and incomprehensible, and neither of those two things are knocks in the slightest. It has earned the need for at least two more theatrical repeat viewings to absorb the story and its mechanics, and to be fair I believe that Christopher Nolan actually made a comprehensible film, and furthermore I think he made it to the point that even his actors understood what was going on when they filmed it (because I didn't feel the same during Inception).

Now I'm not saying that the movie is like Inception, but if I were to liken it to Inception, say that Ellen Page's character was not there for the audience's sake to be explained everything, and instead was just a part of the mission when they talk about things like kicks, architects, dreamers, subconscious projections, time dilation, etc. That's what this movie felt like, which some people may prefer. I mean Tenet explains things, but it doesn't feel the need to rehash them and it doesn't dumb it down for them as if it's all purely exposition. So for those who don't want to be spoonfed the movie's rules, congratulations... I give you Tenet.

I still just can't wrap my head around how this film was made. I don't know what goes on in that man's mind. If it truly is tightly woven and constructed to the point that I can properly make sense of it all, then I just have to give props for the creativity. This is the first time since Memento that I am just perplexed at how he thinks and can even try to make this coherent, much less execute on it. And furthermore, I don't know how this movie was filmed. I mean most of it is relatively straightforward, but there are 2-3 specific sequences where I just question: "How the hell was that done?" I think even if I see a behind-the-scenes, I still won't understand it.

Anyway, those are just early content-free reactions. I'm not even near done talking about this movie, and I haven't even mentioned whether I liked it or not!
The second viewing made my understanding of the movie so much better. The pacing at which things are said, shown and explained is just break-neck speed. Trying to keep up with everything that's happening on a first viewing is a though task, kudos to you if you're able to follow everything at first :clap:

MorenoVL wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 2:45 am
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 2:32 am

The second viewing made my understanding of the movie so much better. The pacing at which things are said, shown and explained is just break-neck speed. Trying to keep up with everything that's happening on a first viewing is a though task, kudos to you if you're able to follow everything at first :clap:
I wouldn't mind seeing it again in a couple of weeks. I want to absorb how the Internet can describe the film (including the plot) so I can make better sense of it next time. Plus, maybe Sacramento will have theaters open by then. If not, I'll just do their drive-in I guess.

Agree with everybody who says that it becomes easier to follow in a second viewing. Saw it in IMAX yesterday and it's much easier to follow the second time round.

Drewton wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 12:40 am
I’m happy if people are able to like the movie but I don’t know how anyone can really think it’s better than Inception, let alone most of his films.
I wouldn't weigh in on the matter whether it's better than Inception or not, but this is something I was explaining in other topics: at this point in 2020, I think I can enjoy Tenet more than Inception. After 10 or so viewings, the latter feels a bit heavy and really, really long. I don't think it got worse as time went on, but I like how Tenet is simpler in many ways. It's like Beethoven writing his short and fresh 8th Symphony after the monumental 7th. Now, Tenet, of course, is just as long as Inception, but I do think that Tenet's story is simpler and less complicated.

I know this sounds controversial, but if I really think about it, Inception introduces a few rules of its peculiar world, but continues to throw new rules in and throw some out as the film goes along. Like, think of how the limbo suddenly appears as a new-found threat, and the workings of the kick, and the way you can or cannot die, or how the limbo is shared between people in the same dream and... my point is, in Tenet you only have to keep one thing in mind: inverted things go backwards in time. And... that's it, really. Now, experiencing Nolan's latest might be a more complex thing, as Inception is easier to follow, but I definitely wouldn't say that Tenet is more convoluted, because I think the opposite of that is true. But I might be a complete arse.
Last edited by DHOPW42 on September 3rd, 2020, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Some sparse, spoiler-free thoughts after my first viewing:

First of all, I saw it dubbed in Italian, so there were no issues with the dialogue (except for some clunky translations). That probably helped, but I didn't really find the story confusing. I'd have to see it again to grasp the details of some scenes (especially the final set piece) and I didn't spend too much time and energy worrying about the specifics of the purely "scientific" aspects, but I could follow the main plot and themes quite easily.

I liked how some of the film's wildest concepts were introduced gradually, but I think the "spy story" part might have needed some polishing. It is a whirlwind of locations and character cameos and includes some nice scenes which are fun to watch - and I'm sure Nolan had a lot of fun shooting (I'll just say: plane), but I honestly found it a bit tiring in parts and maybe unnecessarily complicated.
Later on, it does become clearer why lots of details are intentionally left foggy and vague, but on first viewing it can be just a little a bit frustrating. It does contain some of the film's best British humor, though.
Once it came to the "real deal", I enjoyed the film much more and it was very satisfying to see it all click together. The "twists" were kinda predictable, but what I found really engaging was the "how", not the "what".

I don't agree with the critics who found the film "empty" at its core. It didn't move me deeply like some of Nolan's other films, but it does touch on some interesting themes re. determinism/free will and the actors make the characters work. Robert Pattinson is so endearing. John David Washington has the right dose of charisma and I found Debicki and Branagh quite compelling (even if Branagh's character is a bit over-the-top after all).

All in all, I think Tenet is one of Nolan's most experimental films, and it feels very personal despite being huge in scope. It's bold and visually groundbreaking, and I appreciate what Nolan was trying to do, but, strangely enough, it didn't leave me with a mad desire to see it again. Still, I've found myself thinking about it quite often today, which I interpret as a sign that I might end up enjoying it more.

Tenet is not a masterpiece, not even a flawed one like TDKR. It's still a good movie though. For one, I think the story at it's core is rather simple. It's a very basic spy story. Nolan didn't took the best elements of spy movies or subverted spy tropes, he rather took the most generic elements and put them into a movie. As a consequence, the spy stuff comes across as derivative, because you literally have seen this exact same thing a hundred times:
Some bad guy wants to end the world with the help of a doomsday device. And since we never see what the algorithm can do on a smaller scale for example, the thread remains purely theoretical.
It doesn't help the protagonist lacks a personal motivation and remains fairly uncharacterized. There is an emotional story line that elevates the other stuff, but it's not at the core of the story.

What saves the story from mediocrity are the inversion mechanics. It's a novel and innovative idea and the most interesting thing about the movie by far. Everytime something related to inversion happens, the movie becomes much more interesting. There are a lot of memorable visuals tied to inversion.
The fight against the inverted soldier is great, as well is the chase when the inverted cars show up. This gets even better when the characters become inverted themselves and we see the events a second time, but backwards. I just wish the ending battle happened in the opera as well, but inverted, which would have been a perfect fit for the palindromic nature of the title and film itself, instead of the elaborate round of paint ball that we got. The ending ties everything neatly together, but there's no twist that let's everything that happened before appear in a new light.
What's also great about Tenet is the production as a whole. The direction is great, the cinematography excellent, Göransson is on fire, and the actors bring their best to the table. The practical effects are wonderful and the CGI is seamless. The action sequences are thrilling, even without inversion. The only thing I'm not perfectly happy with is the editing, the movie rushes by way too fast, with little time to build atmosphere or to absorb the setting. It feels like a lot has been cut. As a consequence the film struggles to build this globe throtting adventure feeling that it tries to achieve.

Tenet didn't leave me positively overwhelmed at the end like many of his other films. I feel Nolan prioritized spectacle over substance this time. Tenet gets saved by inversion and the quality of the production as a whole. The film is near the bottom of Nolan's filmography for me. However, Tenet still being a good film just shows what an amazing run Nolan had. 8/10

Great review Dobson. Agree with all your points. Really like your point about the Cg, only one or places (like the side mirror in the chase) can you tell Cg is used.
Dobson wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 8:38 am

The only thing I'm not perfectly happy with is the editing, the movie rushes by way too fast, with little time to build atmosphere or to absorb the setting. It feels like a lot has been cut. As a consequence the film struggles to build this globe throtting adventure feeling that it tries to achieve.
You can tell there was some mandate to get the film to exactly under 2:30:00, probably by the studio. Its a 180 pg script, his longest ever. I think it was too much to edit down and I also think that Jen Lame (while great at editing smaller films) just didnt have the exp necessary for a film of this scale...maybe covid made a bad situation worse

It will never happen but I hope to god that Nolan does a directors cut on the blu-ray. This is the first time Ive really felt like so much was cut.

8/10 after one viewing means 9.5 in two weeks...

I don't think so. Normally I'm kind of in a honeymoon period with a new Nolan film after watching it for the first time, thinking it's his best movie yet, and after watching it more often it gradually drops and finds his place in his filmography. That didn't happen with Tenet.

DarkChocolateOreo wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 9:00 am
You can tell there was some mandate to get the film to exactly under 2:30:00, probably by the studio. Its a 180 pg script, his longest ever. I think it was too much to edit down and I also think that Jen Lame (while great at editing smaller films) just didnt have the exp necessary for a film of this scale...maybe covid made a bad situation worse

It will never happen but I hope to god that Nolan does a directors cut on the blu-ray. This is the first time Ive really felt like so much was cut.
Sadly Nolan won't do a director's cut, he hates them. He even prefers the theatrical version of Blade Runner, since that's the one that was in cinemas.

I'm also not sure if it really was the studio mandating the runtime, since usually Nolan can do whatever he wants. It must have been Nolan himself. Maybe he thought the pacing was too slow, trying to amp it up.