Tenet User Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
March 28th, 2021, 12:38 pm
I don’t like Gaspar Noe's Climax but I would never say it’s bad or mediocre piece of cinema.
It is bad if you think it's bad. Bad or good are just opinions, points of view dependent on the beholder. High and Low can be bad just as Batman & Robin can be good despite what the popular opinion or acclaim says. It just depends on the particular audience member, the recipient of art. As much as certain film snobs can say to the contrary, there is no arbitrary good or bad because it can't be measured or proven. So don't be afraid of calling films made by acclaimed directors bad just because the popular opinion is different than yours. You're no more wrong than they are and vice versa.

then some movies that were belittled in the past wouldn't have changed, when it comes to appreciation, over time and hadn't had become more important now.
Why? There is no correlation here between intent of the author and reevaluation. A film's popular opinion might change due to times changing not by learning the author's original intent which usually is already known at the day of the premiere. That's why your reevaluation argument is basically making my case - it's the audience that dictates general reception, not the author. Either by changes in generations of moviegoers, personal preferences changing (what I liked when I was 15 is different than what I like at 35 and it will probably be different when I'm 55) or trends in film.

Yes, they are opinions, but maybe it’s better not to tell people "if you want to make an excuse" as if theirs are invalid because that doesn’t seem like trying to give just an opinion then.
Fair enough.

And I never said that Tenet wasn't liked by the majority. I have no idea where you got that from since I actually posted the exact opposite of that :P
LelekPL wrote:
March 27th, 2021, 7:30 am
I guess the majority still likes those two films based on the numbers (I even like Tenet but rather despite its characters' blandness rather than because of it).
PS. Don't quote the entire post above you to respond. Either quote sections when necessary or just respond to the entire text without quoting. That's just your common forum savoir vivre ;)

LelekPL wrote:
March 28th, 2021, 12:49 pm
It is bad if you think it's bad.
So don't be afraid of calling films made by acclaimed directors bad just because the popular opinion is different than yours. You're no more wrong than they are and vice versa.

Why? There is no correlation here between intent of the author and reevaluation.

And I never said that Tenet wasn't liked by the majority. I have no idea where you got that from since I actually posted the exact opposite of that :P
Nope. If I think something is bad it doesn’t always make it bad, it’s just bad to me unless there is a special situation. And I am not afraid to call a film bad but I won’t say it for those that are being mindfully made so instead of assuming I’m afraid of popular opinion maybe just leave it at that.

If there is no correlation, which seems you can determine that with certainty apparently, then it wouldn’t happen at all. Those films would still be seen as they were back then. We discover new things from movies sometimes because we grow out of experiences for sure and it makes us closer to the author's mind even though we will never be there but there is something to grab from the author and not just what we bring to the art of cinema. Tastes change but it doesn’t mean you’ll find interesting things on something that was made at the time just to get it out of the way in contrast to other films because the author's was trying to do something more even though it wasn’t "usually known at the day of the premiere". I’m not trying to make any case here, it's just a conversation of the many aspects of cinema.

I didn’t say you were stating Tenet wasn’t liked by the majority. Just saying, as a side note, that the reception was favorable so audience didn't think it isn’t good but perhaps I needed to add that part too.

March 28th, 2021, 1:44 pm
If I think something is bad it doesn’t always make it bad
What!? This sentence makes absolutely no goddamn sense. Since good and bad are subjective opinions, you thinking a movie's bad does make it bad. YOU. JUST. SAID. IT. IS. BAD. Again, it does not mean it's bad for your neighbor, you friend or your mailman. They can have different opinions of their own, but it does make it so for you. Otherwise please tell me if you're one of those people who thinks a movie can be objectively good so I'll know if I'm wasting my time explaining this shit.

March 28th, 2021, 1:44 pm
Those films would still be seen as they were back then.
No they wouldn't. Again, where are you getting this "intent of the author spearheads a movie's reevalution" narrative? I see absolutely zero correlation and I already mentioned that films are reevaluated for other reasons, which the intent has nothing to do with since it's already well known and established at the time of the movie's premiere.

A Borges man wrote:
March 28th, 2021, 4:22 am
Am I the only one who thinks the final set piece is TERRIFIC! (I do not find it difficult to follow...in fact, I find it super easy to follow, and it is top-tier Nolan.)
im with you, i really dont get how people get so confused in the end, or that they dont see the enemy, have we gone braindead as an audience ? i dont want to sound harsh but, are we even paying attention ? ive seen the movie a couple of times with people who looked at their phone every 3 minutes, i was mildly offended haha, but i bet most people now days dont know how to watch movies.

LelekPL wrote:
March 28th, 2021, 2:03 pm

What!? This sentence makes absolutely no goddamn sense. Since good and bad are subjective opinions, you thinking a movie's bad does make it bad. YOU. JUST. SAID. IT. IS. BAD. Again, it does not mean it's bad for your neighbor, you friend or your mailman. They can have different opinions of their own, but it does make it so for you. Otherwise please tell me if you're one of those people who thinks a movie can be objectively good so I'll know if I'm wasting my time explaining this shit.

No they wouldn't. Again, where are you getting this "intent of the author spearheads a movie's reevalution" narrative? I see absolutely zero correlation and I already mentioned that films are reevaluated for other reasons, which the intent has nothing to do with since it's already well known and established at the time of the movie's premiere.
Getting annoyed over something like this? Right.

Well, if that’s your answer then there’s no point in continuing.

Nicolaslabra wrote:
March 28th, 2021, 2:15 pm
A Borges man wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks the final set piece is TERRIFIC! (I do not find it difficult to follow...in fact, I find it super easy to follow, and it is top-tier Nolan.)
im with you, i really dont get how people get so confused in the end, or that they dont see the enemy, have we gone braindead as an audience ? i dont want to sound harsh but, are we even paying attention ? ive seen the movie a couple of times with people who looked at their phone every 3 minutes, i was mildly offended haha, but i bet most people now days dont know how to watch movies.
I have no idea what people are talking about when they say they don't who is shooting at them, or who the enemy is...it is right there on the screen...unless something is in slow-motion and lingered on is it not registered? I don't get it.

On a related note, the cottage industry of video essays trashing Tenet are pretty funny also...they will complain about stuff that is either pedantic or not an issue...

I don't think your being harsh, people complain about stuff in Tenet that is straight up just how movies work...have people forgotten how to watch movies? unless every element has a prequel or a television show to explain it people can't register info...it's very odd.

A Borges man wrote:
March 28th, 2021, 7:50 pm
Nicolaslabra wrote:
A Borges man wrote:
I have no idea what people are talking about when they say they don't who is shooting at them, or who the enemy is...it is right there on the screen...unless something is in slow-motion and lingered on is it not registered? I don't get it.

On a related note, the cottage industry of video essays trashing Tenet are pretty funny also...they will complain about stuff that is either pedantic or not an issue...

I don't think your being harsh, people complain about stuff in Tenet that is straight up just how movies work...have people forgotten how to watch movies? unless every element has a prequel or a television show to explain it people can't register info...it's very odd.
The other thing that jumps out to me is how much you have to beg the audience to like or feel for your character, do people want sob stories every time ? perhaps its me, i mean even when JDW teared up when he heard that none of his colleagues made it out alive, that shit hit me hard, his acting was impecable, or going back to dunkirk, when our 3 beached souldiers watch another soldier give up and submerge in the cold foamy waves, that shit also hit me very hard, or when Farrier considers going back home but decides to stay and fight, and lets not even mention the endings to both of these movies, perhaps Doyle was right in interstellar, we care about people we feel we know, but strangers, the strangers in our screens, we might not give a shit about them. (well a few of us do)

Nicolaslabra wrote:
March 30th, 2021, 12:16 pm
A Borges man wrote:
March 28th, 2021, 7:50 pm
Nicolaslabra wrote:

The other thing that jumps out to me is how much you have to beg the audience to like or feel for your character, do people want sob stories every time ? perhaps its me, i mean even when JDW teared up when he heard that none of his colleagues made it out alive, that shit hit me hard, his acting was impecable, or going back to dunkirk, when our 3 beached souldiers watch another soldier give up and submerge in the cold foamy waves, that shit also hit me very hard, or when Farrier considers going back home but decides to stay and fight, and lets not even mention the endings to both of these movies, perhaps Doyle was right in interstellar, we care about people we feel we know, but strangers, the strangers in our screens, we might not give a shit about them. (well a few of us do)
For sure. Tenet gets me; especially that scene at the end...you know the one. Dunkirk, to me, is overflowing with emotion, that is a movie where a music cue gets me teary-eyed...which is a very rare thing indeed. I'm 100% with you about the way people react to strangers on screen...I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had this observation.

tenet is my fav nolan movie after tdk. it’s been such a loooong time since i ever felt this enraptured by his movie. i think the movies in between are fine but they didn’t leave a lasting impact as much as tenet did on me.

KEM
Bale Fan wrote:
April 1st, 2021, 1:09 am
tenet is my fav nolan movie after tdk. it’s been such a loooong time since i ever felt this enraptured by his movie. i think the movies in between are fine but they didn’t leave a lasting impact as much as tenet did on me.
Same, my ranking is TDK, TENET, Inception