Tenet User Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
please don't

But yes, it's the worst final scene of Nolan's career. It goes out not with a bang but a whimper. Bizarre scene all around.

-Vader

Imagine somebody watching the end of Batman Begins, and saying: "What a stupid ending. Batman just flew away at the end and he's not going to protect Gotham anymore?" I'm in the Tenet forum reading the equivalent of that right now.

It's like you skipped the strawberries in the buffet line and complain that your meal didn't have any fruit. Nolan just put something right in front of you at the end of Tenet, yet you actively go out of the way and then call him out on not providing punch to it.

I'll say that it's a bummer he didn't do it all in IMAX at the end, but that's about where I draw the line. Knowing what he's telling us at the end, ultimately it's a great one.

Oh wait, you said "please." I'll walk away then, I guess.

it's more like that theory has you convinced you're eating strawberries when you're actually eating decorative plastics

the ending of Tenet is pretty wack with or without that theory being true imo

to each their own though

-Vader

There's a lot of weird stuff in Tenet, and overall, I wonder if this isn't the one film where the difference between what Nolan envisioned and was financially and logistically able to do is the biggest.
He had to ask for more days than allowed by Tallinn's mayor to shoot the car chase, when he usually finishes ahead of schedule and I think he had two days to shoot all the traffic jam stuff, when Protag and Kat get captured, and Sator looks into the BMW.

I wish he had been able to shoot the foil scene in Amalfi and not Southampton. That sequence is also quite strange. The stakes (protagonist needing to get Sator's trust) feel superficial, and Kat attacking Sator doesn't feel earned. Nolan should have taken more time for this sequence, and do more build up. Somehow still love watching that scene.

In the final battle, they do so many crazy stuff, but at the same time, it feels they could have done so much more.

Forum Pro
I'm not going to say this in hopes of changing anyones mind but I think it's one of his best endings.
I think it says a lot that this high-octane, tension-filled action film about preventing something worse than WWIII ends with a shot of a mother reaching out for her child's hand. I read it as this assurance that future generations were saved, that through Kat's obnoxious desire to save her son, she, in a way saved all future children. This race against time wasn't just for the present but also the future. Also, the final look we get from The Protagonist always gets me.
Again, all good to disagree but I just want to inject some positivity here and that I love the ending.

DylanHoang wrote:
January 1st, 2021, 10:01 pm
I'm not going to say this in hopes of changing anyones mind but I think it's one of his best endings.
I think it says a lot that this high-octane, tension-filled action film about preventing something worse than WWIII ends with a shot of a mother reaching out for her child's hand. I read it as this assurance that future generations were saved, that through Kat's obnoxious desire to save her son, she, in a way saved all future children. This race against time wasn't just for the present but also the future. Also, the final look we get from The Protagonist always gets me.
Again, all good to disagree but I just want to inject some positivity here and that I love the ending.
it doesn't hit me that way, but this is a good post

-Vader

DylanHoang wrote:
January 1st, 2021, 10:01 pm
I agree and I also think, in contrast, the last scene is intended to feel a little downbeat. The first half hour also has an unusually sombre tone for such a 'pop' movie and I think like Speilberg & Kubrick's A.I. the unusual and conflicted tone of the movie is one of the things putting people off it.
Much has been said about Nolan's handling of emotion in his movies but I hardly think he's so detached as to overlook the effect of having the Protagonist save one woman and murder another in cold blood in the last scene. Yes, Priya is an arms dealer, but the audience doesn't get to see the evil stuff she gets up to in her day job. And consider also the significance of Tenet employing an arms dealer as an agent on their side while simultaneously fighting an arms dealer portrayed as the villain on the enemy's side. And the fact the Protagonist breaks his own iron-clad rules on a personal whim and kills one of his own agents to do so. This movie is very much John le Carré meets Mission Impossible and I think at least part of the suggestion of the last scene is towards the movie's moral ambiguity. I've thought from the start that one of the motifs is the inherently subjective nature of ideological conflict in the real world, hence the title, and the Protagonist's less-than-heroic actions at the end are cause for thought. Still haven't fully parsed the movie's motifs (and message, if there is one) but I'm sure it can't be a coincidence that so much of the movie takes place in tax havens, international waters, and other liminal spaces.

Criticisms, though: Still not sure what the significance of Neil's voiceover lines are. And I really wish they'd intercut the scene with showing Neil (presumably) blowing his way back into the hypocentre during his last inverted run during his voiceover to explain how he got back to the supposedly 'trapped' Protag and Ives, for me it's one off-screen elliptical event too far for such a key, fast-paced and mechanics-heavy sequence.

So, despite my initial mixed reaction, I have literally watched chunks of this film every day for the last week. Can't get it out of my head.

Fuck you, Nolan.

I'm at a 7 out of 10 with Tenet. For me, it felt like a tremendous exercise — a string of conceptually fascinating and beautifully rendered action scenes with little to offer in terms of compelling conflict. I think of Neil and the Protagonist bungee-jumping into Priya's home. It's stunning, but all to... deliver some exposition. For me, most of the movie had this thrillingly boring pattern. There are some top-tier Nolan sequences in Tenet, from the opening at the opera to the red room/blue room. But as a movie, as a continuous 2.5-hour experience, I found it to be empty.

A few random thoughts. Despite the spare characterizations, I like the direction Nolan is going with performances. The dialog reaches almost clinical levels, but unlike Inception, the actors don't feel like dialog machines. Instead, they're full-bodied but without anywhere to place it. Loved the score and cinematography. And finally: masks. They've become a dominant thread through Nolan's filmography, particularly over the past decade: The Dark Knight Rises, Interstellar, Dunkirk, and Tenet. The masks force our attention to a limited portion of an actor's face, highlighting certain glances or reactions, or smaller moments of emotion. But more and more I find the usage is distracting.