Tenet User Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
KEM
dragon_phoenix wrote:
November 4th, 2020, 12:57 am
KEM wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 9:07 pm
Vader182 wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 8:57 pm
I actually wonder if Sator is the character most personal to Nolan himself, someone who's "ran out of time" and losing the woman he loves all at once, trying to wipe the slate clean out of hubris and anger.

-Vader
We call that a simp
I actually think the Protagonist is more of a simp, considering he risked so much to save her life.
Fair point, you’re not wrong there.

KEM wrote:
November 4th, 2020, 12:05 pm
dragon_phoenix wrote:
KEM wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 9:07 pm

We call that a simp
I actually think the Protagonist is more of a simp, considering he risked so much to save her life.
Yea, I actually relate to Sator's' personality quite a lot. I am not a mass murderer or a psychopath. But once I feel like I own something, I get pretty sore if someone try to make it away from me. That said, I will never hit a woman.

dragon_phoenix wrote:
November 4th, 2020, 5:09 pm
KEM wrote:
dragon_phoenix wrote:

Yea, I actually relate to Sator's' personality quite a lot. I am not a mass murderer or a psychopath. But once I feel like I own something, I get pretty sore if someone try to make it away from me. That said, I will never hit a woman.
what the fuck lol

-Vader

dragon_phoenix wrote:
KEM wrote:
dragon_phoenix wrote:

Vader182 wrote:
November 4th, 2020, 6:42 pm
dragon_phoenix wrote:
KEM wrote:

what the fuck lol

-Vader
just being frank about my personality. I wouldn't resort to violence or breaking the law. Sator and Kat are the most human characters in this movie who are trying to meet their very human needs.

Protagonist and Neil are basically Bond/Superhero-like characters who will risk their lives to save normal civilians. I'm sure they exist but they are rare.

dragon_phoenix wrote:
November 5th, 2020, 4:47 am
Protagonist and Neil are basically Bond/Superhero-like characters who will risk their lives to save normal civilians. I'm sure they exist but they are rare.
Cowboy shit.

Regarding Neil’s “You have a future in the past” and the theory on his identity:

The “past” here doesn’t necessarily indicate the past events prior to this movie, and imo it’s not supposed to be taken *literally* but rather more in a figurative sense. Something along the lines of “your past self is the steppingstone for your future self”.

Which I think makes more sense given the immediate following thing he says is “years ago for me, years from now for you”; “a future in the past” taken in the literal sense would contradict that following line. P can’t have recruited Neil in P’s past, because “years from now for you” is expository and spells out the fact P will do it at some point after the movie.

Also the “past” in the context of that quote simply refers to now—that instance they’re having that conversation in—and not referring to events that took place before the movie. Bc relative to the “future” i.e. post-movie, everything that happens before it is considered the past anyway. So basically, it’s just Neil’s fancy way of telling P that whatever P does now affects the future.

So yeah, I think Neil’s recruitment happens after Tenet. He could just be an older Max recruited by P and sent back in time to save the world.

Here’s the interaction taken from script, if you wanna further contextualize the quote:

PROTAGONIST

Hey!
(Neil turns)
You never did tell me who recruited you.

NEIL (smiles)

Haven’t you guessed by now? You did. Just not when you thought. You have a future in the past. Years ago for me. Years from now for you.
I hope I made enough sense lmao.

Bale Fan wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 7:12 am
Regarding Neil’s “You have a future in the past” and the theory on his identity:

The “past” here doesn’t necessarily indicate the past events prior to this movie, and imo it’s not supposed to be taken *literally* but rather more in a figurative sense. Something along the lines of “your past self is the steppingstone for your future self”.

Which I think makes more sense given the immediate following thing he says is “years ago for me, years from now for you”; “a future in the past” taken in the literal sense would contradict that following line. P can’t have recruited Neil in P’s past, because “years from now for you” is expository and spells out the fact P will do it at some point after the movie.

Also the “past” in the context of that quote simply refers to now—that instance they’re having that conversation in—and not referring to events that took place before the movie. Bc relative to the “future” i.e. post-movie, everything that happens before it is considered the past anyway. So basically, it’s just Neil’s fancy way of telling P that whatever P does now affects the future.

So yeah, I think Neil’s recruitment happens after Tenet. He could just be an older Max recruited by P and sent back in time to save the world.

Here’s the interaction taken from script, if you wanna further contextualize the quote:

PROTAGONIST

Hey!
(Neil turns)
You never did tell me who recruited you.

NEIL (smiles)

Haven’t you guessed by now? You did. Just not when you thought. You have a future in the past. Years ago for me. Years from now for you.
I hope I made enough sense lmao.
That's what I always thought. I tried to explain as much here, and people were responding as if I was making their heads explode.

You seem like you have built this idea of what this film is based on other peoples opinions and reception instead of experiencing it for yourself. Perhaps the release swayed your'e opinion before even giving the content a fair chance. Does it have similar themes to his other films yes, but all of the directors we talk about consistently do the same in their films. Whatever opinions you have politically about the film should be set aside and the material deserves to be judged on its merit and not a release date. You might be surprised.