Tenet User Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
KEM
After my 10th viewing here’s my Nolan ranking, based purely on how much I enjoy them:
1. The Dark Knight
2. Inception
3. TENET
4. Batman Begins
5. The Dark Knight Rises
6. The Prestige
7. Dunkirk
8. Memento
9. Interstellar
10. Following
11. Insomnia

Retskrad wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 10:39 am
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... y-run-time

This is a a great article about Chris Nolan’s former editor Lee Smith. It just shows how much Nolan has depended on him in the past and why Tenet has so many issues when Nolan is on his own.
isnt it a bit unfair to say that Chris is on his own ? i mean he still has sound editors and jennifer lame with him.

Retskrad wrote:

This is a a great article about Chris Nolan’s former editor Lee Smith. It just shows how much Nolan has depended on him in the past and why Tenet has so many issues when Nolan is on his own.
The article only explained Lee Smith's process in Dunkirk and not any of his other movies?

Nolan is certainly not on his own. His editor for Tenet is a award-winning editor.

The major problem in Tenet is the sound mixing which is just horrondeous at some point.

In my first viewing, I thought the first half of the movie was edited 'fast' but I actually kidda liked it because there's a certain rhythm to it. It wasn't as bad as what some critics said.

in the 2nd half of the movie, I had some minor issues because the dialogue is so hard to hear at certain exposition heavy scenes. But i still managed to follow what's going on.

Also, let's not forget about complains about the editing on Dark Knight. Lee Smith is not perfect too.

Ok, now this could turn into another debate about who’s better only this time it will be about Lane and Smith. First that person went with Villeneuve and Nolan, and now this. Which I’m starting to think is this user’s purpose.

Retskrad wrote:

Lee is great but his work in the Dark knight Rises was not great.
All the fight scenes and extra scenes were not edited properly.
Dunkirk was masterpiece editing .
I dont think he could have done better.
I missed Pfister and Hans more

mosh89 wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 5:14 pm
Retskrad wrote:

Lee is great but his work in the Dark knight Rises was not great.
All the fight scenes and extra scenes were not edited properly.
Dunkirk was masterpiece editing .
I dont think he could have done better.
I missed Pfister and Hans more
Maybe let’s stop living in the past although learn from it, and now embrace the present and future. I would love to see Nolan working with Jennifer Lame again because it may give him new perspectives and on the music side it would be very interesting, for me at least, to have composer Hildur Guðnadóttir (Joker and Chernobyl) working with him if Ludwig and Zimmer were to be unavailable.

What makes Christopher Nolan's films so successful in my eyes, is that he manage to create the feeling that there are ideas on stake, and the forces that clash in the war over the ideas find expression in every bit of the plot in inseparable way.

this film fails to give that feeling. Nolan has always loved to take crazy concepts and dress them up in well-known genres, thus turning the familiar elements on their side. Memento tells the most clichéd story of them all; a man tries to avenge his wife's tragic death. It works not only because of the general concept of a story told from end to beginning, but because of the technique; The elements of the plot feel like something that comes naturally from the assumptions of the initial premise. The elements are familiar - but you experience them in a different way.

In this movie, the familiar elements remain quite familiar. The situations and the sequence of events do not feel like the natural conclusion of an idea. its just like a regular movie, with elements as you expect them exactly, and which occasionally also reverses some scenes. there is no idea laid on the line, no emotional depth. it's like someone who is'nt nolan tried to make a nolan movie without the nolan technique.

Dunkirk was also ideologically and emotionally poor. But it was more successful because it moved away from the genre's generic conventions, and mostly because it felt like it had reached its full potential. It's perhaps the only war movie ever where you wont hear "Tell my mom I love her" or "Give my dad this necklace ...".

so the problam with tenet was more that it's flat story and characters. I mean, what was the fuck was that shit about marriage-drama-abuse? Something I never thought I would see in a Nolan film because he always showed that he has an understanding of what works and what does not, and what elements to stay away from. The feeling is that a storyteller like Chris could have create a much more successful and much more worthy story.

make no mistake, tenet is still a pretty fun and engaging film. And if it came out of the hands of another director, I might have said it's a great movie. Whenever the film ceases to be a fairly ordinary and generic spy thriller and goes in and does reverses, it becomes breathtaking. The action here is amazing. The problem is that it happens too little, and feels like a plugin put in on the side of the plot rather than its essence. this is the first time I'm watching a Nolan movie where I feel like I'm not entering new territory, even though the overall concept should be enough.

7/10

very disappointed.

Saw for the third times 2 weeks since the first 2 viewings, I love this movie now repeat viewings helps a lot, I think is because I now get it

My review after a second viewing:
There’s a scene in this movie where a character drops a bunch of gold bricks out of a jumbo jet that’s about to crash into a hangar. This feels like a very self aware move from Christopher Nolan, almost mirroring how studios have been giving him insanely large amounts of money and he’s been spending it on increasingly ambitious stunts like this.

In fact a lot of this movie feels like Christopher Nolan at his most self aware. I had a lot more fun with it the second time around. Partly because knowing the plot made certain elements less confusing, but also because the sound was better and I could hear more dialogue. But this is Nolan taking all of the elements of his movies to their logical extremes. His big stunts, his obsession with time, the confusing nature of his plots and the science involved. It’s all there dialed up to 11. Except for the emotional hooks that are present in movies like Inception and Interstellar.

I like the relationship between the Protagonist and Neil and the end of the movie is pretty heartwarming, but I think that’s more to do with the performances that John Davis Washington and Robert Pattinson give. They’re both incredibly fun to watch and the chemistry between them is one of the best parts of the movie.

Christopher Nolan is the ultimate showman. There are a couple of action sequences that play out multiple times in this film from different perspectives and it feels like a rock band coming back out on stage for multiple encores.

Recently there have been a fair amount of Nolan fans wishing he would go back to making smaller films. And I get that instinct because I love memento, following, insomnia and the prestige too. But I think Nolan realizes that he is in a rare spot where studios are just going to give him a blank check to make whatever he wants. And he’s going to milk that for all it’s worth. He’s like The Joker lighting the pile of money on fire or the plane hijacker dumping out all the gold bricks, and that’s incredibly admirable./Spoiler]